Sabres Acquire Brad Boyes

TheMatrix31

Two Observations:

1. Being down on a player usually comes down to performance vs. expectations. When you score 43 goals - fans want that every year. Expectations are high. You can be a very good player, yet fail to live up to those exact expectations. Buffalo doesn't expect him to score 43 goals every year. But if this is his down year, he is still the 2nd highest scoring player on our team. This is a good thing.

2. He scored a ton of goals on the power play those fruitful years. So, he could potentially be a key component on ours if we get our crap together on that unit.

Brad May said Boyes is one of the best locker room guys he's been on a team with. "A real character guy."

And I would bet that this played no small part in DR's decision to pull the trigger.

What I like about this trade is that by not sending one of our top six forwards out, it puts more pressure on that group to perform, and allows us to slide one of our under-performing forwards out of the lineup. Gerbe/Nieds/McCormack/Kaleta had better bring their A game every night or prepare to take a seat.

Gerbe in particular has been underwhelming lately. Nieds is just going through the motions. The one I would like to see in the press box the most (I say press box because there is only a 5% chance DR will trade him) is Connolly. He was entirely invisible in the red wings game. About half way through the third I had to check to see if he was actually in the lineup. He was completely invisible on the ice.

You keep talking about the cap but they are not even close. With Roy being on long term dl and them runnning all year at around 4.5 below, they could acquire players whose contracts total $18 million (18 x 25%) and still be under the cap.

You are correct. I totally forget about Roy being on LTIR. So, a trade for Stastny and Liles could happen in theory. Not sure it will happen, but that would be a huge blockbuster trade for the Sabres.

Two Observations:

1. Being down on a player usually comes down to performance vs. expectations. When you score 43 goals - fans want that every year. Expectations are high. You can be a very good player, yet fail to live up to those exact expectations. Buffalo doesn't expect him to score 43 goals every year. But if this is his down year, he is still the 2nd highest scoring player on our team. This is a good thing.

2. He scored a ton of goals on the power play those fruitful years. So, he could potentially be a key component on ours if we get our crap together on that unit.

The Blues fans' opinion of him sound a lot like Pommers. One very good year followed by sizable contract followed by years of decent but not good enough production to meet him contract number.

Still, the Blues play a pretty boring system with not so much offensive talent. Lets hope he can find a groove here.

You are correct. I totally forget about Roy being on LTIR. So, a trade for Stastny and Liles could happen in theory. Not sure it will happen, but that would be a huge blockbuster trade for the Sabres.

They could trade for Statsny, Liles AND Richards and STILL not have to tap the cap relief afforded by Roy being on LTIR.

Two Observations:

Very true. If I'm not mistaken he played on a line with Kariya and Tkachuk when he put up those big numbers. Any player will have better numbers playing with guys like that. And, the only guy on our team with more points than Boyes this year is Vanek. So I don't understand why people don't like this pickup for a second rounder. IMHO, it is all about the price and we didn't pay a very steep one.

Very true. If I'm not mistaken he played on a line with Kariya and Tkachuk when he put up those big numbers. Any player will have better numbers playing with guys like that. And, the only guy on our team with more points than Boyes this year is Vanek. So I don't understand why people don't like this pickup for a second rounder. IMHO, it is all about the price and we didn't pay a very steep one.

I'm waiting for the first rant that says we can't go after a RFA next year because that 2nd round pick is gone.

Based on the articles and interview.

Boyes sounds like a character guy. He is from Mississauga - so he is a 'local'.

He is well spoken. He backchecks - a huge plus in Lindy's book.

Got for a 2nd rounder - seems to be Darcy's favorite top pick to trade away.

So right now I am happy with the pickup. But he needs to actually pick up some points during the season before I will be totally happy.

Two Observations:

I think this nails it.

Reference Raffi Torres last year and you'll ge the pessimism.

I know the day is far from over and a current Sabre may still get shipped out or we could add someone else. That being said, what do our lines look like now with this addition. We have Stafford and Pommers as our top two RW and I don't think one of them should be on the 3rd line. Do we try him at centre then. Maybe our top two lines are:

Vanek - Boyes - Stafford

Ennis - Tin Man - Pommers

The Sabres' power play has been in a rut the last nine games -- 2-22. But before that, starting around Thanksgiving, it was really clicking. The Sabres are in 12th despite the recent struggles.

So while they need to get their crap together, they did at least have it together for awhile there.

More power plays would be nice. Sabres are in the bottom third in that area. Work harder?

You keep talking about the cap but they are not even close. With Roy being on long term dl and them runnning all year at around 4.5 below, they could acquire players whose contracts total $18 million (18 x 25%) and still be under the cap.

Everybody keeps saying that Roy is on BF-LTIR currently. I do not believe that's the case. Because when you put somebody on BF-LTIR you get to add the player's salary to where you are currently at. The Sabres are more than $4MM under the cap currently, so if Roy were put on BF-LTIR already, adding his $4MM to their current cap hit doesn't add any relief to their $4.9MM cap space they currently have. (The $4.9MM space is per nhlnumbers.)

Now, that was prior to Boyes' contract being added and Rivet's hit being cut in 1/2, so depending on what they do today they MAY put him on BF-LTIR but I really don't believe he's there currently.

I know the day is far from over and a current Sabre may still get shipped out or we could add someone else. That being said, what do our lines look like now with this addition. We have Stafford and Pommers as our top two RW and I don't think one of them should be on the 3rd line. Do we try him at centre then. Maybe our top two lines are:

Vanek - Boyes - Stafford

Ennis - Tin Man - Pommers

If they do move Boyes to center and don't make any other moves, those would be the lines I'd go with. That way the right handed center is feeding the more dangerous (IMHO) winger.

You then get Hecht back on the 3rd line where he belongs.

I'd still prefer to see TC out of here and haven't given up hope that it'll happen.

Everybody keeps saying that Roy is on BF-LTIR currently. I do not believe that's the case. Because when you put somebody on BF-LTIR you get to add the player's salary to where you are currently at. The Sabres are more than $4MM under the cap currently, so if Roy were put on BF-LTIR already, adding his $4MM to their current cap hit doesn't add any relief to their $4.9MM cap space they currently have. (The $4.9MM space is per nhlnumbers.)

Now, that was prior to Boyes' contract being added and Rivet's hit being cut in 1/2, so depending on what they do today they MAY put him on BF-LTIR but I really don't believe he's there currently.

I'm pretty sure I was originally the one who mentioned Roy. Yeah, I only brought it up because the possibility is there if they really wanted to use it. They have to actually go over the cap in order for it to matter, so it would take a lot of money to actually get there.

Archived