Sabres Acquire Brad Boyes

TheMatrix31

They did just send Rivet packing, I know it wasn't related but I figured it's worth mentioning.

Yea, it's pro rated addition is only around 550 thousand additional or so.

Figure we are covering 420 thousand of Rivet's remaining deal and picking up 900 thousand of Boyes remaining deal this season.

It's going to be a good pickup by Regier if Boyes can return to the form he was a couple of seasons ago.

Also, I know I mentioned it earlier, Brad Boyes has not played center for some time, like 3 or 4 years now. He's been on the RW for a long time now.

Could we see a secondary move coming off of our RW?

Is it possible that Stafford is on the move, or, god forbid, that 5.3 million dollar albetrose of a contract with Pomminstein?

And they ate $400k of his salary to send him packing. I don't think that happens under the old regime either.

Absolutely. Contract coming in with nothing going out and paying half of Rivet's remaining contract just to open up a roster spot, wouldn't happen under Golisano or Rigas.

LOL seriously?

If he was scoring 33 goals a season like he was 3 years ago, you think he'd be available on the market? Get real people. You have to take a risk on a player unless it's a UFA where you pay a ton for a guy who may walk. Either way, both are risks. Comments like this seriously make me want to laugh.

Yes because it's totally acceptable to clamor for a culture change and then be pleased as punch with a player who is in the exact same mold as a player who is seen as a leading problem with the team's current culture.

That's like fixing a stab wound to the stomach with a gunshot to the face.

Also, bare in mind, we just added a player with out moving one.

I have to believe another move is coming before 3pm tomorrow, and I believe it's another forward.

I think Stafford or Pomminstein are gone and my guess is it's going to be Pommers, but just a guess. We are stacked at RW now with the addition of Boyes.

I'll take a stab and say we are getting a center tomorrow, or maybe even early this morning, since Darcy hasn't left the office yet.

Just my opinion.

Yes because it's totally acceptable to clamor for a culture change and then be pleased as punch with a player who is in the exact same mold as a player who is seen as a leading problem with the team's current culture.

That's like fixing a stab wound to the stomach with a gunshot to the face.

This makes no sense. It's a good move. Nothing more, nothing less. To be mad about this, is ridiculous. They got a sniper. He's struggled at times, yeah, but has shown flashes at times too that he can be a true scorer in this league. They are going to trade Ryan Miller and Pominville and get back Paul Stastny, Patrick Kane and Zach Bogosian. Sorry to disappoint you haters who want to WIN the cup on deadline day. It's just not happening.

Go back to your xbox game.

So was Briere's when Regier landed him, just sayin

Just out of curiosity, I went and looked up Briere's stats before he became part of the Sabres:

Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

2000–01 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 30 11 4 15 12 — — — — —

2001–02 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 78 32 28 60 52 5 2 1 3 2

2002–03 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 68 17 29 46 50 — — — — —

2002–03 Buffalo Sabres NHL 14 7 5 12 12 — — — — —

2003–04 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 28 37 65 70 — — — — —

2005–06 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 25 33 58 48 18 8 11 19 12

2006–07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 81 32 63 95 89 16 3 12 15 16

Actually, if you just look at production, Boyes has been slightly more productive in his career than Briere was before coming to the Sabres. Who knows.......might be good!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355815 wow darcy did something, is there more coming? I like this move as maybe its the grit we need.

Interesting take by one of the TSN posters:

"Brad Boyes 12 G 29 A 41 points, nets a 2nd rounder. Ales Hemsky 13 G 28 A 41 P, Edmonton demands a Kings ransom..."

Very true.

I like this alot. Boyes has had a 40 goal season and is young and better than connolly. Hes was bad last year and is ok this year so lets see if coming to buffalo makes him a whole lot better. Darcy please tell me you have more please I am now excited.

3 years too late to get a hold of Boyes. He's exactly the same player as Pominville. One really good year netted him a really good payday.

Do the Sabres need another Connolly or Pominville? He sounds like another overpaid soft player with declining production. Sweet!

I would have been happier to see the Sabres unload Connolly for St. Louis' 2nd round pick. This would have made sense.

andystrickland Andy Strickland

Boyes will fly to Buffalo in morning and fly with team to begin a 13 day road trip

3 minutes ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply

»

Andy Strickland

Boyes says he's very excited about going to Buffalo...played Junior with Connolly, Montador...Knows Roy pretty well

3 minutes ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply

»

Andy Strickland

Buffalo Owner already spending money...Darcy Regier can't make this trade two weeks ago

5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

Andy Strickland

Doug Armstrong called and notified Boyes when he was on the bus on the way to the hotel from the rink

7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

Andy Strickland

Boyes says he loves St. Louis and fans,,,says the hardest part was saying goodbye to his teammates..."I love those guys"

8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

Andy Strickland

Just spoke to an emotional Brad Boyes..Buffalo is getting a quality pro who is a good fit for their style of play...

Via a reporter in St Louis

This makes no sense. It's a good move. Nothing more, nothing less. To be mad about this, is ridiculous. They got a sniper. He's struggled at times, yeah, but has shown flashes at times too that he can be a true scorer in this league. They are going to trade Ryan Miller and Pominville and get back Paul Stastny, Patrick Kane and Zach Bogosian. Sorry to disappoint you haters who want to WIN the cup on deadline day. It's just not happening.

Go back to your xbox game.

Good post. I like the move, and if for no other reason than it's some fresh blood coming into the locker room in the form of a guy who has shown he can light the lamp. It also feels like a preliminary move to others coming tonight and throughout the day Monday. I can't imagine that being the only move.

Interesting take by one of the TSN posters:

"Brad Boyes 12 G 29 A 41 points, nets a 2nd rounder. Ales Hemsky 13 G 28 A 41 P, Edmonton demands a Kings ransom..."

Very true.

I really liked the way a young Hemsky stepped up his game in the playoffs. Both he and Parise are guys I would have been looking at as skill for 82 games with enough heart to play big for another 24. That's where the Sabres were short even in '07.

Boyes has three seasons with 65+ points so i dont think hes another connolly. Hes only had two seasons at 40ish points one being last year and this years not over so, I am gonna say I like him and hes physical, had 76 hits last year more than connolly. Lets see what he does.

Archived