Sabres Acquire Brad Boyes

TheMatrix31

All I know is that I would hate to be a fan of that team right now. They're on a Bills-like streak of missing the playoffs (pretty damn impressive in the NHL) and they won't spend a penny.

Did I miss a Hemsky deal somewhere in the shuffle today?

see my edit - I saw something - think it was one of the fake moves.

i wouldnt say this is a terrible pickup but its not great. this guy still has potential, and isnt very old. he scored 43 goals the one year, same as vaneks carrer high. i found that to be intersting. so the sabres now have two guys that have scored 40 goals before. who knows maybe this dude will have a resurgence here.

i wouldnt say this is a terrible pickup but its not great. this guy still has potential, and isnt very old. he scored 43 goals the one year, same as vaneks carrer high. i found that to be intersting. so the sabres now have two guys that have scored 40 goals before. who knows maybe this dude will have a resurgence here.

Sounds like this guy is quite fragile emotionally from what I'm reading. Be nice, Lindy. We do things the Pegula Way now.

We're all hoping for that, but when is the last time it happened?

How many games before Mr. "He ain't going nowhere" has Boyes on the 3rd or 4th line. Also, how many games before it is leaked that Boyes is either hurt or out of shape(see Moore and Torres).

How hurt/out of shape can he be? He's scored 16 points in his last 17, and would have had the game tying goal last night but Backes hit it to him with a high stick.

How hurt/out of shape can he be? He's scored 16 points in his last 17, and would have had the game tying goal last night but Backes hit it to him with a high stick.

Speaking of hurt, as of a few days ago, I think Ralph Wilson would beat Derek Roy in a footrace. That may be an interesting story over the offseason.

From Garth on Ek's site. Connolly and Boyes were junior teammates in 98-99...along with Montador.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0008791999.html

Oh, good. He's friends with Connolly -- the one player who represents everything wrong with the Buffalo Sabres.

So to re-cap our big trade deadline moves: We kept ALL of our useless, dead weight. And we traded a 2nd round draft pick for some guy that Tim Connolly can go ###### with. Maybe Tim can introduce him to his dealer too while he's at it.

Oh, good. He's friends with Connolly -- the one player who represents everything wrong with the Buffalo Sabres.

So to re-cap our big trade deadline moves: We kept ALL of our useless, dead weight. And we traded a 2nd round draft pick for some guy that Tim Connolly can go ###### with. Maybe Tim can introduce him to his dealer too while he's at it.

did you not take your medication?

ROFL LAYIN THE WOOD!!!

+5 :thumbsup:

A rare optimistc thread from yours truly.

Could the 2002-2004 days of Darcy be making a return? With the addition of Boyes I like our wingers. On LW we have Vanek, Ennis and Hecht. On RW we have Boyes, Stafford, and Pomminstein. Add Roy and you have most of the personnel needed for 3 solid scoring lines. We still need that upgrade at #1 center. I don't know that Brad Richards is in the cards but there are several other teams that have centers to spare. There should be no reason why one of them can't be pried loose. And we'll need a 3rd center as well. I don't think the 3rd center will be tough to come by and we may already have him in Adam (OK, maybe Byron). Or we could pick up a 3rd line LW offseason and keep Hecht as center on the 3rd line. The only drawback I see in our forwards at this point is that several of them are quite overpaid for the role I see them having next season. I can see Hecht and Pommer running an expensive 3rd line with dual purpose, secondary scoring and lock down. And Goose is spendy as a 4th line center. But hey, if Pegs is cool with it who am I to complain about our 3rd and 4th line salary?

And the structure of a decent defence seem to be there. Myers, Weber, Leopold, Morissonn are a core I am comfortable with. I'd like to see another offensive D-man come in to help fill the 3rd pairing, and I'd like an upgrade to Sekera/Butler. I expect Weber and Myers will improve going into next season.

So what does that leave us to acquire in the offseason? A #1 C, either #3 C or LW, PP D-man, defensive D-man, backup goalie. The #1 C is a challenge of course but the rest of it seems readily do-able IMO.

On paper, I like what you are doing here, but I think we need to change a few more bodies (Hecht and/or Pommers and/or Gaustad) to really change the culture in the locker room. I notice an absence of smurfs in your lineup, which I like, but forgive me if I choke when you say Byron. The guy weighs a buck fifty. He would be incapable of playing in an outdoor game, because the wind would only allow him to skate in one direction. He means well and tries hard, but is smaller than many 15 year old Junior C players.

I am starting to have my reservations about Ennis. I like his game, but he is so slight that he has to avoid all contact. That stuff may work in the first half of the season, but as the playoffs get nearer the ice gets smaller. Its hard to be an effective player when you are limited to the perimeter. Just ask Connolly. Ennis has been really good about dodging contact to this point, but I am deathly afraid one of these days he will get caught with his head down and that will be the end of it. It happened to E. Stall, it could happen to little Tyler.

Gene, I went with "######" with.

Kassian could also make a bid for one of the wing spots, perhaps keeping Hecht at center. Let's get a center this offseason and see what happens. Would like to see them resign McCormick, leaving a 4th line of McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta.

So keeping on the positive note, could this mean we are on the path to "we roll 4 lines" again?

On paper, I like what you are doing here, but I think we need to change a few more bodies (Hecht and/or Pommers and/or Gaustad) to really change the culture in the locker room. I notice an absence of smurfs in your lineup, which I like, but forgive me if I choke when you say Byron. The guy ways a buck fifty. He would be incapable of playing in an outdoor game, because the wind would only allow him to skate in one direction. He means well and tries hard, but is smaller than many 15 year old Junior C players.

I am starting to have my reservations about Ennis. I like his game, but he is so slight that he has to avoid all contact. That stuff may work in the first half of the season, but as the playoffs get nearer the ice gets smaller. Its hard to be an effective player when you are limited to the perimeter. Just ask Connolly. Ennis has been really good about dodging contact to this point, but I am deathly afraid one of these days he will get caught with his head down and that will be the end of it. It happened to E. Stall, it could happen to little Tyler.

Yeah, I figure that with the upgrades at wing there isn't room for Gerbe. And I only added Byron in deference to the fact that he and Adam are the only two centers in Portland with any shot of playing at the next level. Most teams have a smurf somewhere on the roster. I am comfortable with our token smurf being Ennis.

Ideally I'd like to see Goose, Hecht and Pommers gone simply because their role can be done by less spendy players freeing up more cap room for an all star or two. Realistically, I don't see any team swallowing those salaries though. And I am comfortable with them being role players on the team. It should allow the top 6 players to exert more influence in the locker romm and on the ice. The group I posted in the OP isn't an ideal group but I think the wingers have contender potential. Now we need a center and a PP D-man with contender potential.

Archived