Sabres Acquire Brad Boyes

TheMatrix31

Given the last few trade deadlines, I'm not terribly excited by this move, but I do think it's a good move. First, it gives Boyes the opportunity to jell with this team and gives the Sabres a nice forward going into next year, who should be in the peak of his career. It also protects the Sabres in the event they cannot keep Drew Stafford. Boyes has been huge in the past for the Blues, so hopefully he can come to Buffalo and resurrect his career.

I don't believe Darcy's done. My sense is that he will get a backup goalie (perhaps via waiver wire) and a defenseman. However, I think the next trade he makes will likely involve a roster player in order to move a little bit of salary. Waiving Rivet helps, but they only got rid of half of his salary since he was claimed on re-entry waivers. With Boyes's cap hit of $4 million, if the Sabres make one more relatively impactful trade (e.g. a $4 million + player) it will likely involve a trade of a roster player to create some cap space I would imagine. My hunch is it won't be anyone expensive on the Sabres, likely a Butler/Sekera/Gerbe move simply to create just enough cap space to bring one more guy in. That's my thought at least.

Overall, I like the move, but I'm cautious about the results given the Sabres history. We'll see how well Boyes does here.

has 16 points in the last 17 games and instantly becomes our 2nd leading scorer.

Last year, Raffi Torres came in as the Sabres leading goal scorer, we know how that worked out as he didn't score a single goal for the Sabres. Like I said in my previous post, I think this is a good trade for the long term and I am cautiously optimistic, but I need to see the results first given what we have seen the last 3 deadline days. I think this is certainly the type of move that shows a commitment to the long term and saying that we are in it with this guy for more than this year. It makes a difference and shows that even if the Sabres don't make the playoffs this year, they have a guy that they can work with on the system and jelling with his teammates for next year.

Now we just need Pominville, Niedermayer, Sekera, and a 2011 first round pick for Paul Stastny and John-Michael Liles. I think the only way the money works out is if Pominville is included in the deal, but even then I'm not sure. Let's hope for this blockbuster. This would be huge, but I don't expect it. My hunch is it will be Sekera and a 3rd or 4th rounder for Liles and that's it. Too bad.

Last year, Raffi Torres came in as the Sabres leading goal scorer, we know how that worked out as he didn't score a single goal for the Sabres. Like I said in my previous post, I think this is a good trade for the long term and I am cautiously optimistic, but I need to see the results first given what we have seen the last 3 deadline days. I think this is certainly the type of move that shows a commitment to the long term and saying that we are in it with this guy for more than this year. It makes a difference and shows that even if the Sabres don't make the playoffs this year, they have a guy that they can work with on the system and jelling with his teammates for next year.

Now we just need Pominville, Niedermayer, Sekera, and a 2011 first round pick for Paul Stastny and John-Michael Liles. I think the only way the money works out is if Pominville is included in the deal, but even then I'm not sure. Let's hope for this blockbuster. This would be huge, but I don't expect it. My hunch is it will be Sekera and a 3rd or 4th rounder for Liles and that's it. Too bad.

Torres was a good trade that didnt turn out very well. with him We got a 20 goal scorer who didnt jell with the team.

St Louis media is kinda saying they are glad to see him go, he's a guy who is streaky, problems hitting the net but decent in his own end. We got a cheaper Pommers (funny bc they both have trailed off since hitting the big contract)

I'm confused now. I thought that Darcy would only make a nothing move within an hour of the deadline for something that would have no possibility of helping the Sabres. Could there be something different about his situation perhaps?

Let's not forget Darcy's MO is to not give up picks in total. So you could probably expect a Connolly or Montador for a 2nd deal sometime today.

Also, Boyes has played center at times in his career, but not in the recent past. But wouldn't be surprised to see him playing center in Buffalo.

looks like he's been traded from TO to SJ to BOS to STL and now BUF and he's only 28 years old. I wonder why he's been moved so many times.

The trade to San Jose and to Boston were before he was in the NHL, so he was being moved as a prospect. In my opinion those trades don't really say anything about his worth.

You keep talking about the cap but they are not even close. With Roy being on long term dl and them runnning all year at around 4.5 below, they could acquire players whose contracts total $18 million (18 x 25%) and still be under the cap.

this is a very good move.....he has good size, is resposible defensively and has become more of a play maker than scorer....i see the sabres playing him at center where Roy used to be, it's a lil crowded at Right Wing (pomm & staff).....his game has evolved in St Louis' defensive scheme which has cost him goals but shows he can be very responsible defensively. he could also be used as a winger with some workers like Gaustad setting him up. With buffalo he probably wont see his scoring like 3-4 years ago but i bet there will be an uptick from his past two years. i like it....let's see Darcy make one or two more moves.

This is a solid move. Didn't pay much for him. As Pominville plays the point of the PP, it gives the Sabres second right handed-shot on the second PP unit.

Although I've seen him listed at Center, I don't recall him playing much center, and his scoring has suffered from lack of any depth up the middle. (same problem as Buffalo.)

I'm surprised it only cost a second round pick.

He really does have terrific hands and very good vision. He's a nice playmaker.

Here's what Blues fans have to say, LOL!

http://fans.blues.nhl.com/community/forum/20-blues-talk/

I just took a little look at their message board and alot of posters seem to be happy to 'dump' the 4 million dollar salary. Let's hope the change of scenery helps. Atleast he's known for his scoring, which is a glaring need.

This is a solid move. Didn't pay much for him. As Pominville plays the point of the PP, it gives the Sabres second right handed-shot on the second PP unit.

Although I've seen him listed at Center, I don't recall him playing much center, and his scoring has suffered from lack of any depth up the middle. (same problem as Buffalo.)

I'm surprised it only cost a second round pick.

He really does have terrific hands and very good vision. He's a nice playmaker.

QFT and he is +11 and used to playing in a defense first system. If Lindy unchains him I expect to see points go up especially when family makes the trip to Sabres home games from Mississuaga.

Guy has his play slipping over the last couple years reeks of a necessary change of scenery.

Is this the change of scenery he needs? Sounds like he views St. Louis the same way he's going to view Buffalo.

"The style that we played is not the style you can put up a lot of points. We were a good defensive team. It's not good or bad, it's just what it was."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/article_63939bde-42f6-11e0-9418-0017a4a78c22.html

Fans liked those moves. Fans always like these moves. Until they watch the player in his third game under Ruff's vaunted system.

It's OK. Let it all out. You will still be welcome when the Sabres catch the Rangers and take out the Bruins in round 1.

Separately: I like this trade. They didn't give up too much and they got a talented guy who's put up seasons with 26, 43 and 33 goals in his 6 NHL seasons. If he's a washout, they're only stuck with him for 1 more year. If he's good, they've upgraded their top 6 for the stretch drive.

Also: I'm going to predict that they don't unload either TC or Montador today, but they might bring in another defenseman.

Cool, thanks.

Stopped by 3 different Blues forums, couldn't find anyone who's gonna miss him. Most actually think we were robbed... :unsure:

and if we were to trade connolly for some second liner who is underperforming on some other team they would say they were robbing us, it goes both ways...

Archived