The Music Thread

darksabre

so i just learned of a youtube channel called postmodernjukebox. lots of former american idol contestants have done vocals for them. only listened to a handful so far but kinda interesting.

I think I've posted Post Modern Jukebox vids in this thread a half dozen times.  Haley Reinhart is dreamy.  :wub: :wub: :wub:

To quote dark, it's all garbage. Yet so many people I know eat this ###### up. I honestly feel bad for them. They are being spoon fed crap and are ingesting it by the heap full.

I'm a little late on this and I'm far from a country music person but Chris Stapleton, Zac Brown are pretty good and an album that's been out for awhile with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris is worth a listen. Also Joe Ely was a good listen too a while back especially his live albums.

I'm a little late on this and I'm far from a country music person but Chris Stapleton, Zac Brown are pretty good and an album that's been out for awhile with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris is worth a listen. Also Joe Ely was a good listen too a while back especially his live albums.

The Knopfler/ Harris CD is "All the Roadrunning." They also put out a live version "Real Live Roadrunning."

Haven't listened to either in a very long time, but as I recall, they're pretty good. Might have to give them a re-listen. :thumbsup:

Jason Molina's band Magnolia Electric Co.

If you like Neil Young there's a decent chance you will like this.

What a rare and remarkable talent. RIP.

I have found that I must visit his music with care and caution. Its power is astonishing, and it can lead the listener to some dark and lonely places. When I’m in the right mood, though — Jesus. Listening to him is like being in a “thin place,” as the Irish say.

What a rare and remarkable talent. RIP.

I have found that I must visit his music with care and caution. Its power is astonishing, and it can lead the listener to some dark and lonely places. When I’m in the right mood, though — Jesus. Listening to him is like being in a “thin place,” as the Irish say.

Wow, Smell.  You really nailed it for me here on each and every point.  So perfectly stated!

Back to country. The Dead South. These cats are not pop formula country. A cello, a bango and two singers. Check em out.

Upon further review they do play more instruments.

Excellent call Buno!  I would call them more Americana than Country, but who's counting?  Not me. 

I got a big kick out of their video "In Hell I'll Be In Good Company" having so much of it filmed in Toronto!

Excellent call Buno!  I would call them more Americana than Country, but who's counting?  Not me. 

I got a big kick out of their video "In Hell I'll Be In Good Company" having so much of it filmed in Toronto!

Yeah I thought bluegrass. Americana works. Apparently they're from Saskatchewan ? If you want a good laugh look up the Dead South- Hillary, Mr Bean and Forrest Gump. Its ' In hell I'll be in good company ' but with a comedic video. 

Yeah I thought bluegrass. Americana works. Apparently they're from Saskatchewan ? If you want a good laugh look up the Dead South- Hillary, Mr Bean and Forrest Gump. Its ' In hell I'll be in good company ' but with a comedic video. 

I've been listening to the Dead South a lot since you mentioned them.  They are really good, and definitely have a ton of bluegrass in their DNA.  They are from Regina, and while that may not exactly be a bluegrass hot spot, who cares?  They are very good at it, however they got there.

Here's another unique bluegrass band that I love called the Earl Brothers, from San Francisco (mostly anyways)...