The Music Thread

darksabre

Would love to hear Swamp's opinion on this.

There is a lot of truth in what he is saying. There is also a lot of, "Get over it. It has been ever thus since before Mozart!"

Pop music has always sucked. It's also been awesome at times (the production on Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, and whatever that Lady Gaga album was are F'n sick).

And the Beatles were only able to make Sgt. Peppers because they got big enough by being NSync first.

I've probably imbibed too much tonight to go on, but I think there is more really great music out there now than there has been in quite some time.

it is also easier to find and listen to music compared to any other time.

Absolutely.

I do agree about the attention span thing, though, and its connection to the iPod or listening online. It's just too easy to hit the "next" button. I love that people are listening to LPs again and I can't wait until we move on and get nostalgic about CDs. I listened to one yesterday and damn, they sound good. Especially compared to streaming. Although, it is easier to hit the "next" button than with an LP.

Absolutely.

I do agree about the attention span thing, though, and its connection to the iPod or listening online. It's just too easy to hit the "next" button. I love that people are listening to LPs again and I can't wait until we move on and get nostalgic about CDs. I listened to one yesterday and damn, they sound good. Especially compared to streaming. Although, it is easier to hit the "next" button than with an LP.

I'm looking forward to getting around to fixing my stereo in my car soon. I still buy cars with CD players because I like spinning albums while driving. It used to be my favorite pastime back in college. Walkman on the middle of the front seat with the cassette deck adapter thing and a visor full of burned copies of CD's I had at home (didn't want to ruin the original CDs so I would make copies of them.)

I'll admit it. I love Justin Timberlake. Maybe it's OK for Millennials to dig him but dudes my age are not supposed to like him. Dude is talented as ######. I hope I get to see him live.

I just want to go to the parties he must have.

Metallica is so often one's first step into decades of foraying through the tapestries of metal, which makes it so fun when you come back to them after long stretches of time and combine the waves of nostalgia with just how ###### good they actually are.

This is me in a nutshell. I don't listen to them much anymore because it was kinda like... baby's first metal. But every now and then I'll hear a good cut and be like "oh hell yeah this rocks." Caught For Whom the Bell Tolls on the radio the other day and there's nothing better than that soaring guitar riff. That song has some of Lars' best drum fills too.

Had to Google him (which answers your question)  - it looks like he is on tour throughout the summer.

Yeah, we went to see him Saturday night.  His opening band was John Batiste and Stay Human, the house band from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.  I have to temper my enthusiasm for Leon Bridges as I don't know how popular he really is.  He's from this area (went to the same school district as my sons).  I like his music, but I wonder how much of that is "homerism"?  Would I like his music if there wasn't that local connection?

Before signing with Columbia Records about 5 years ago, Leon Bridges was literally riding his bicycle to his job as a dishwasher and to sing at open mic nights because he couldn't afford a car.

A recent revelation for me: Sturgill Simpson.

Shades of prime Outlaw-era Waylon for sure, but 21st Century production, lyrics, and sound. 

Still getting into it but I am intrigued. 

Yes, he's very good.  If you like that Willie & Waylon sound, see also Paul Cauthen.

Yes, he's very good.  If you like that Willie & Waylon sound, see also Paul Cauthen.

Took you up on that and listened to his one full album I had access to on Amazon. It's interesting enough I will give it another try for sure, but didn't quite grab me like that Metamodern Sounds in Country Music album by Sturgill did. Thanks for the reco.  

Weezer did a cover of Africa by Toto because the internet asked nicely :lol:

To be truthful, they really messed with those guys by doing Rosanna first. I think it’s great. Always liked Weezer. Both songs are on my playlist for awhile.

Metallica

AC/DC

Skynard

3 of the most overrated bands ever

This is probably true. If you asked me to put those three in order, AC/DC would be at the top of the list. Supremely overrated. 

To be truthful, they really messed with those guys by doing Rosanna first. I think it’s great. Always liked Weezer. Both songs are on my playlist for awhile.

I loved that they decided to troll with Rosanna first. So good :lol:

Metallica

AC/DC

Skynard

3 of the most overrated bands ever

Metallica black album and before was great. They haven't produced anything worthwhile in 20 years.

AC/DC was great during the Bon Scott years. He seemed to be their creative driving force. Everything with Brian Johnson sounds identical.

Skynard... Yeah I guess

Skynyrd is playing here in a week or so. I'm half tempted to go see them because Marshall Tucker Band is opening for them.

There was never enough booze or weed to make me want to listen to either. LSD on the other hand.... I vividly remember a smelly dreadlocked girl twirling light sticks while Sknyard was coaxing the dancing baby on the impromptu silver tarp screen. I told her to find me later and she did. Giggidy. Tripping sex.

Wonderful drug BTW.

Might have to do it once more before I expire....

Anyone ever been to the Honeoye Hootananny?

Skynyrd is playing here in a week or so. I'm half tempted to go see them because Marshall Tucker Band is opening for them.

Don’t go for Marshall Tucker Band. Saw them last Summer. Dude is terrible. He’s a zombie at this point and sounds like one. He passes off half the vocals to a band member and it’s a cover band at that point. Go see a bar cover band and pass on the cover charge.

You’re welcome.