Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Ideally we would move to where the opportunity is better for her, but I'm basically stuck here in Buffalo where the job I currently have is my only real path forward. I'm not able to move anytime soon, so the choice would be hers if she wanted to move without me to somewhere that was better for her career.

We just spent the last couple years living mostly apart (I was in Buffalo 4 nights a week), so I don't think she's in a hurry to go back to living apart. It was pretty lonely for her and the cat. I don't think she's sick of seeing me every night yet :P

Sorry, I guess I don't read the board enough to have known you guys were together. Best of luck to both of you going forward. 

As for the artwork ... is it possible to sell it directly to the teams ? Players themselves ? Or to Fathead or other mass producing poster companies ? 

Sorry, I guess I don't read the board enough to have known you guys were together. Best of luck to both of you going forward. 

As for the artwork ... is it possible to sell it directly to the teams ? Players themselves ? Or to Fathead or other mass producing poster companies ? 

This is ultimately the goal for Josie, and I think she's on her way there. Her work is generating more traffic on social media than it used to and she's gotten the attention of people who matter at times. But it's a matter of showing potential clients that "yes, illustration is something you want to buy". A lot of times businesses, especially sports teams, just don't know what is out there and what they can do with it. 

haha thank you!  

I haven't really found a good way to sell directly. I tag the teams/players in work I do, and sometimes it takes off, but even when it does (PK Subban shared the painting I did of him, earned me thousands of interactions), it's never lead to much. Made one or two print sales off the PK phenomena. I'm also shy to go to them because they have cease and desist-ed some of my fellow portrait artists. Technically what I do is probably illegal. 

Most of the poster companies/pro sports graphics places choose to use photography. It is much cheaper for them, they can pay an intern a few peanuts to hit it with a filter or overlay some type and call it a day. 

Someday it will be my life's work to make illustration important again (heyday was the 80s). People love it. Companies just don't know they need it. 

This is ultimately the goal for Josie, and I think she's on her way there. Her work is generating more traffic on social media than it used to and she's gotten the attention of people who matter at times. But it's a matter of showing potential clients that "yes, illustration is something you want to buy". A lot of times businesses, especially sports teams, just don't know what is out there and what they can do with it. 

I would think charities would be a good option as well. You know ... donate $25 to Roswell Park research and get a free Jack Eichel poster. She gets a cut to cover production costs and a % profit and Roswell Park gets the rest. Donor gets a great poster and a tax deduction.

I would think charities would be a good option as well. You know ... donate $25 to Roswell Park research and get a free Jack Eichel poster. She gets a cut to cover production costs and a % profit and Roswell Park gets the rest. Donor gets a great poster and a tax deduction.

I'd personally love that. I've done some work for 26Shirts and enjoyed the fact that I've raised some money for various charities. Maybe there's something there! 

haha thank you!  

I haven't really found a good way to sell directly. I tag the teams/players in work I do, and sometimes it takes off, but even when it does (PK Subban shared the painting I did of him, earned me thousands of interactions), it's never lead to much. Made one or two print sales off the PK phenomena. I'm also shy to go to them because they have cease and desist-ed some of my fellow portrait artists. Technically what I do is probably illegal. 

Most of the poster companies/pro sports graphics places choose to use photography. It is much cheaper for them, they can pay an intern a few peanuts to hit it with a filter or overlay some type and call it a day. 

Someday it will be my life's work to make illustration important again (heyday was the 80s). People love it. Companies just don't know they need it. 

The Great Crusade 

The Great Crusade 

I SHALL OVERCOME

seriously come on people go on and on about how cool old school hockey/basketball/whatever programs were with illustrated portraits of the roster, illustration on the tickets were often saved and framed in "man caves", people LooOOoove a good artistic rendition of their team! 

It's gotta happen again. It's gotta. 

I SHALL OVERCOME

seriously come on people go on and on about how cool old school hockey/basketball/whatever programs were with illustrated portraits of the roster, illustration on the tickets were often saved and framed in "man caves", people LooOOoove a good artistic rendition of their team!

it will come around again. Pop culture always does and i am looking forward to it

Took 2 hours to fix my internet connection.

My hockey team lost.

I forgot to set my fantasy line up.

My tie that laid out to wear for tomorrow has a spot on it.

I'm having some very first world problems over here!!!!

I SHALL OVERCOME

This is probably a dumb question, but have you considered doing the artwork for ad agencies, video games and/or comic books?

This is probably a dumb question, but have you considered doing the artwork for ad agencies, video games and/or comic books?

Not dumb at all.

I’ve tried to get in with a lot of those sorts of places and never received a response. They usually/always have a guy already and only need the one person. Or they need you on site in whatever big coastal city for games. Still, I went after quite a few of those, especially with my video game background. No dice, yet anyways.

Most ad agencies have a dude who mainly does graphic design for them and takes care of their illustration as well. The style right now is flat vector and typography, so no need for a full illustrator. For something different they reach out to freelance- I did a few of those last year. I try to offer myself as a “use me to set yourself apart” service.

The only response I’ve received of the good 80+ companies I’ve gone after was from Pegula Sports/Ent last February and I didn’t get past the phone interview.

I’m working on organizing better. Offer specific things. I can do anything mostly but I think I’m running into the problem of being too nebulous for easy consumption. Marketing and shizz. Got a friend helping me on that now.

Not dumb at all.

I’ve tried to get in with a lot of those sorts of places and never received a response. They usually/always have a guy already and only need the one person. Or they need you on site in whatever big coastal city for games. Still, I went after quite a few of those, especially with my video game background. No dice, yet anyways.

Most ad agencies have a dude who mainly does graphic design for them and takes care of their illustration as well. The style right now is flat vector and typography, so no need for a full illustrator. For something different they reach out to freelance- I did a few of those last year. I try to offer myself as a “use me to set yourself apart” service.

The only response I’ve received of the good 80+ companies I’ve gone after was from Pegula Sports/Ent last February and I didn’t get past the phone interview.

I’m working on organizing better. Offer specific things. I can do anything mostly but I think I’m running into the problem of being too nebulous for easy consumption. Marketing and shizz. Got a friend helping me on that now.

Lotsa people can do lotsa stuff. What do you want to do?

Do that.

I feel like all I do is check my bank account and my financial spreadsheets. The burden of debt is majorly stressing me out on the daily.

Really looking forward to my tax refund in March. That'll pay off a balance transfer card. Then I have about $3500 left between two other cards, both of which I can kick the can down the road on. Tax return next year should clear one out and the other should be paid off in a year. I feel like a sports GM, "Oh, well 2019 should be a good year." Ugh.

I've really soured on my car and making payments every month is starting to piss me off. I'm not driving much anymore and it just looks like a waste of money. I don't need a 2014 Impala now that I'm not not commuting to Rochester. I might CarMax it since I'm not underwater on the loan or anything, but I need to get the infotainment center fixed first. It's still outrageous to me that the most basic feature of a car, the radio, which should operate without issue for 15+ years, would be broken on a 4 year old car. I've driven 30 year old cars with factory radios. Looking forward to fighting with the dealer about not paying for that repair. They're gonna love me. Modern technology is and takes the joy and freedom out of life. I miss the old days. Things used to be simpler.

I feel like all I do is check my bank account and my financial spreadsheets. The burden of debt is majorly stressing me out on the daily.

Really looking forward to my tax refund in March. That'll pay off a balance transfer card. Then I have about $3500 left between two other cards, both of which I can kick the can down the road on. Tax return next year should clear one out and the other should be paid off in a year. I feel like a sports GM, "Oh, well 2019 should be a good year." Ugh.

I've really soured on my car and making payments every month is starting to piss me off. I'm not driving much anymore and it just looks like a waste of money. I don't need a 2014 Impala now that I'm not not commuting to Rochester. I might CarMax it since I'm not underwater on the loan or anything, but I need to get the infotainment center fixed first. It's still outrageous to me that the most basic feature of a car, the radio, which should operate without issue for 15+ years, would be broken on a 4 year old car. I've driven 30 year old cars with factory radios. Looking forward to fighting with the dealer about not paying for that repair. They're gonna love me. Modern technology is ###### and takes the joy and freedom out of life. I miss the old days. Things used to be simpler.

Yeah, but that car will be nice if we take a long roadtrip this summer. Thought that was half the reason you bought it. 

I've really soured on my car and making payments every month is starting to piss me off. I'm not driving much anymore and it just looks like a waste of money. I don't need a 2014 Impala now that I'm not not commuting to Rochester. I might CarMax it since I'm not underwater on the loan or anything, but I need to get the infotainment center fixed first. It's still outrageous to me that the most basic feature of a car, the radio, which should operate without issue for 15+ years, would be broken on a 4 year old car. I've driven 30 year old cars with factory radios. Looking forward to fighting with the dealer about not paying for that repair. They're gonna love me. Modern technology is ###### and takes the joy and freedom out of life. I miss the old days. Things used to be simpler.

Sounds a lot like me other than I'm fairly happy with my car if for no other reason than I had to get a new one back in 2015 because I live in the South and the AC died on my old one that summer.

If the government shuts down on the 19th I won't get paid on the 26th and between going to Vegas last year and over spending on xmas gifts for family the meager savings I do have will only be enough to float me until my February mortgage payment gets made. If the shutdown lasts long enough for me to miss 2 paychecks I'm going to have to get a short term loan from my credit union or risk not paying off my monthly credit card balance in full until the shutdown is over and I get my retroactive pay. I'm deemed "mission essential" or whatever terminology they're using now to mean that even though the government is shutdown that I still have to go in to work, I just won't get paid until it's over.

Sounds a lot like me other than I'm fairly happy with my car if for no other reason than I had to get a new one back in 2015 because I live in the South and the AC died on my old one that summer.

If the government shuts down on the 19th I won't get paid on the 26th and between going to Vegas last year and over spending on xmas gifts for family the meager savings I do have will only be enough to float me until my February mortgage payment gets made. If the shutdown lasts long enough for me to miss 2 paychecks I'm going to have to get a short term loan from my credit union or risk not paying off my monthly credit card balance in full until the shutdown is over and I get my retroactive pay. I'm deemed "mission essential" or whatever terminology they're using now to mean that even though the government is shutdown that I still have to go in to work, I just won't get paid until it's over.

I'll probably feel better about things once March/April roll around. But waiting for things to happen is really stressing me out. I just wanna get my finances adjusted.

I wouldn't be in this spot if I had just kept my Buick back in 2015. I wouldn't have had that VW diesel that I had to give back, I wouldn't have had to commit to another new car that I don't need now. Should have just kept the LeSabre. It would probably be running just fine. :wallbash:

I'll probably feel better about things once March/April roll around. But waiting for things to happen is really stressing me out. I just wanna get my finances adjusted.

I wouldn't be in this spot if I had just kept my Buick back in 2015. I wouldn't have had that VW diesel that I had to give back, I wouldn't have had to commit to another new car that I don't need now. Should have just kept the LeSabre. It would probably be running just fine. :wallbash:

My folks had a Buick LeSabre back in the 90's. That thing was a freaking tank with very few problems that they kept for probably 10 years. They always buy new cars and keep them until they get about 250k miles on them. I'm usually the same way but since the AC went that was it for me. My last car had about 180,000 miles on it when the AC died and since it would have cost several thousand to fix it I bit the bullet and got a new car (2015 Chevy Cruze).

I feel for you though. There's nothing better than the period between paying off a car in full and months or years (if you're lucky) before you start to having repair problems. I always pretend the payment still exists and sock that money away directly into savings.

My folks had a Buick LeSabre back in the 90's. That thing was a freaking tank with very few problems that they kept for probably 10 years. They always buy new cars and keep them until they get about 250k miles on them. I'm usually the same way but since the AC went that was it for me. My last car had about 180,000 miles on it when the AC died and since it would have cost several thousand to fix it I bit the bullet and got a new car (2015 Chevy Cruze).

I feel for you though. There's nothing better than the period between paying off a car in full and months or years (if you're lucky) before you start to having repair problems. I always pretend the payment still exists and sock that money away directly into savings.

I bought this car feeling like I wanted to keep it for a while, so I get what you're saying about having it paid off. Three years of payments left feels like it's so far away. I hate that. I hate owing money. I don't know if I'll ever finance another car. I think I would rather just be able to buy and sell a car at will. I don't like feeling trapped.

I bought this car feeling like I wanted to keep it for a while, so I get what you're saying about having it paid off. Three years of payments left feels like it's so far away. I hate that. I hate owing money. I don't know if I'll ever finance another car. I think I would rather just be able to buy and sell a car at will. I don't like feeling trapped.

I've always bought cars outright at far cheaper than I could afford if I wanted to get a fancy car. Usually at least 5 years old and closing in on 100k miles. The benefits of not having a car payment have always far outweighed looking cool and having a nice car. YMMV, but I can't stand losing wealth by buying a new car that depreciates the second I drive it - i'll let some other guy absorb that first 50% value loss.

Then again, my vehicles in order have been a '99 Ford Explorer, '05 Ford 500 and '07 Pontiac G6. Not exactly panty-droppers :blush:

I've always bought cars outright at far cheaper than I could afford if I wanted to get a fancy car. Usually at least 5 years old and closing in on 100k miles. The benefits of not having a car payment have always far outweighed looking cool and having a nice car. YMMV, but I can't stand losing wealth by buying a new car that depreciates the second I drive it - i'll let some other guy absorb that first 50% value loss.

Then again, my vehicles in order have been a '99 Ford Explorer, '05 Ford 500 and '07 Pontiac G6. Not exactly panty-droppers :blush:

Those are all perfectly good cars though.

I miss the cheaper insurance rates of old, paid off cars. I'm paying $510/mo when you combine my loan and the required insurance. I could buy a different used 2001 Buick LeSabre every 4 months at that rate and just throw them away when they break :lol:

LeSabre = The Sabre.

Of course, you should have kept it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back during the '07 playoffs the local radio station took a crappy used LeSabre and turned it into a Sabres themed car. They gave it away in a contest and I saw it in Rochester for years after. Goalie stick spoiler on the trunk :p