Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Yeah, that's the version we ordered since it's the only one compatible with Office 2013. The annoying part is that x3 works just fine! The only reason we need to replace it is Thompson Reuters won't fix their own program. It's ridiculous they charge so much and release new versions so frequently when very little changes in the way of journals and reference management needs, but until there's a better competing product, they've got the market cornered.

I don't disagree that it sucks, but they have to pay real people to make their software work with newer versions of Office and Windows and that money has to come from somewhere.

Jeez, I'm grumpy today... I really need to get laid.

Oh, to be young and single... :)

Interestingly enough, I have a story from a past life that involves both of these.

Do tell!

I don't disagree that it sucks, but they have to pay real people to make their software work with newer versions of Office and Windows and that money has to come from somewhere.

I get the software can't be free, but the fact that they roll out entirely new versions of this program with far greater regularity than the Office software is updated and only minor changes to their program seems unnecessary and greedy to me. Journals make their own citation templates that can be added into EndNote after the fact, so it's not as though we need EndNote to have them constantly updated. If it were $30 or so to upgrade it'd be one thing, but a single license is $85 even discounted through work (far more purchased externally).

Oh, to be young and single... :)

:wub:

We are supposed to be focusing more on safety, yet everytime someone brings up a safety concern, it's brushed off, and shoved to the back burner. I fear the day one of our fume hoods or something else goes...because that's a super bad hazard waiting to happen right now.

Yeah and they'll be looking for someone to blame then, just hope it won't be me :P

Do tell!

I get the software can't be free, but the fact that they roll out entirely new versions of this program with far greater regularity than the Office software is updated and only minor changes to their program seems unnecessary and greedy to me. Journals make their own citation templates that can be added into EndNote after the fact, so it's not as though we need EndNote to have them constantly updated. If it were $30 or so to upgrade it'd be one thing, but a single license is $85 even discounted through work (far more purchased externally).

:wub:

Yea every single year Thompson Reuters releases a new version and it sucks. We have a cite license so I never have to pay for it. The issue is my department is the support for it so every year we have to go in and relearn the little crap they have changed because inevitably a student or professor will ask.

Don't even get me started on Journal Prices and how many different citation templates they all use :death:

An all nighter in the lab, 30 minutes between time points, some lab bench paper and a floor model revco....you know how it goes.

:clapping: Thanks for making me laugh, CV.

Yea every single year Thompson Reuters releases a new version and it sucks. We have a cite license so I never have to pay for it. The issue is my department is the support for it so every year we have to go in and relearn the little crap they have changed because inevitably a student or professor will ask.

Don't even get me started on Journal Prices and how many different citation templates they all use :death:

Exactly!

We have a small lab space across the hall that is shared between our group and one other lab, and inside is a large -70C freezer that is also jointly used between our two labs. The boss in the other lab (who I actually like) has been whining for weeks about how loud the freezer is, even though he has an office door between him and the room with the freezer. Now he's complained long enough that it's being moved to another room down the hall, which will be less convenient and also unmonitored, which is no good in case something goes wrong with it. We use this freezer heavily, and somehow one person bitching gets to overrule the wishes of everyone else here. It's a lab, not a library, man! Get some damn headphones and man the f*ck up.

Jeez, I'm grumpy today... I really need to get laid.

I've been grumpy for years. So central PA huh. Would you ever lower yourself to date a northcentral man?

I've been grumpy for years. So central PA huh. Would you ever lower yourself to date a northcentral man?

;) Not sure if northcentral is lower than central PA, but unfortunately the bf might disapprove. 8 more days...

I'm getting two scam phone calls daily from a group trying to sell me an extended warranty on my car, and also steal my identity I'm sure. It is a different person each time, but none of them can actually speak English or even pronounce "Hyundai". The caller ID lists it as an Olean number, but it must be re-directed from there as there is no way it is coming from the US. I like to yell at them the second I answer the phone just to see how long they actually stay on the line.

The last guy actually said they'll take me off of their list, but I'm sure he was lying. I'll get three extra calls tomorrow instead. I need to find a way to blow out their eardrums the next time I'm around when they call. Airhorns can't be too expensive, right?

I'm getting two scam phone calls daily from a group trying to sell me an extended warranty on my car, and also steal my identity I'm sure. It is a different person each time, but none of them can actually speak English or even pronounce "Hyundai". The caller ID lists it as an Olean number, but it must be re-directed from there as there is no way it is coming from the US. I like to yell at them the second I answer the phone just to see how long they actually stay on the line.

The last guy actually said they'll take me off of their list, but I'm sure he was lying. I'll get three extra calls tomorrow instead. I need to find a way to blow out their eardrums the next time I'm around when they call. Airhorns can't be too expensive, right?

I once blasted my trumpet in the phone in a similar scenario.

I just don't pick up the phone now except for known entities.

I once blasted my trumpet in the phone in a similar scenario.

I just don't pick up the phone now except for known entities.

I know it's them, it shows the number on caller ID. It's the frequency that's killing me now. They continue to call over the course of the day if you don't answer. They also don't leave voicemails. I've looked up the number online and there are posts out there saying that you get hit with a collect charge if you call them back.

I know it's them, it shows the number on caller ID. It's the frequency that's killing me now. They continue to call over the course of the day if you don't answer. They also don't leave voicemails. I've looked up the number online and there are posts out there saying that you get hit with a collect charge if you call them back.

Are you registered on the Do Not Call registry? If so, file a complaint about the number online. It probably won't immediately stop the calls but maybe, just maybe they will get told to stop calling.

Is this a cell phone, or a house phone? If it's a cell, my friend came up with a trick that helps: make a contact named "Yuck" (or whatever you want to call it) with the default setting as going immediately to voicemail, and then anytime you get a number like that calling you over and over, assign it to that contact. Your phone won't even ring, and eventually they should get the point.

I hate that my extended family never gets together outside of funerals.

I often feel like this, too. With both grandparents gone now, we need to work a lot harder to find time and reasons to get together before it's the aunts and uncles who are unwell.

And I wish that mine did. :P

:lol:

I often feel like this, too. With both grandparents gone now, we need to work a lot harder to find time and reasons to get together before it's the aunts and uncles who are unwell.

I never get to see my cousins or uncles or anything. My grandmother passed on Saturday and I've been off from work the last few days for the services and whatnot. It was nice to be able to visit with everyone despite the circumstances. Time passes too fast.

Edited by d4rksabre

I never get to see my cousins or uncles or anything. My grandmother passed on Saturday and I've been off from work the last few days for the services and whatnot. It was nice to be able to visit with everyone despite the circumstances. Time passes too fast.

Sorry for your loss, d4rk. Right there with you.

Sorry for your loss, d4rk. Right there with you.

She lived a great life. And because I like finding humor in all situations, here's a photo we discovered today that no one in the family had seen: My grandmother dressed as a pirate, and my grandfather dressed...like my grandmother.

post-1361-0-11073900-1396566096_thumb.jpg

Now I know where I get the Party-Animal Genes from. :lol:

She lived a great life. And because I like finding humor in all situations, here's a photo we discovered today that no one in the family had seen: My grandmother dressed as a pirate, and my grandfather dressed...like my grandmother.

post-1361-0-11073900-1396566096_thumb.jpg

Now I know where I get the Party-Animal Genes from. :lol:

lol that's pretty awesome. (c: I rediscovered a few pics of my grandfather and I, but nothing that fun!

Oh, man. That sux. Sorry, d4rk.