Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Background first: My girlfriend's roommate spent the entire month of November at a fat camp (I had no idea those actually exist). Then on New Years she dropped the "I'm joining AA" bomb. She would go out to bars pretty much every night and come back with some different random guy each time. Then she'd eat every bit of food in the apartment, most of which wasn't even hers. She's unemployed and daddy pays every last bill for her. So yeah, this girl is a complete trainwreck. I've never actually seen any of these people she brings back, but I have a very hard time imagining what type of person would actually show any interest, even for a one night stand. But anyway, last night at around 2:30 am, she stumbles in with someone. We were both passed out, but once every light was turned on and the loud talking commenced, sleep wasn't really an option. After a while I was finally just about asleep again, but then the bedroom door opens. For god knows what reason, this jackass walked into the room even though it was very clear which room was the roommates. If I had been a bit more awake, that guy would have found himself out on the sidewalk with a bashed in face. So yeah, glad to see that AA and the fat camp really made a lasting impact (table was littered with food this morning and the box of sponge candy I brought back for my girlfriend was 75% empty). I still can't get past that idiot walking into the room though. We're talking about some random guy picked up at a bar. What happens if I'm not there? The door doesn't have a lock so that's not an option. There's going to have to be a serious discussion on this one because this garbage can't happen anymore.

Absolutely you do. Although it sounds like this girl has little to no respect for herself, so it might be a tough go getting her to show any for your girlfriend. Installing a lock on the bedroom door might be a good idea.

Background first: My girlfriend's roommate spent the entire month of November at a fat camp (I had no idea those actually exist). Then on New Years she dropped the "I'm joining AA" bomb. She would go out to bars pretty much every night and come back with some different random guy each time. Then she'd eat every bit of food in the apartment, most of which wasn't even hers. She's unemployed and daddy pays every last bill for her. So yeah, this girl is a complete trainwreck. I've never actually seen any of these people she brings back, but I have a very hard time imagining what type of person would actually show any interest, even for a one night stand.

But anyway, last night at around 2:30 am, she stumbles in with someone. We were both passed out, but once every light was turned on and the loud talking commenced, sleep wasn't really an option. After a while I was finally just about asleep again, but then the bedroom door opens. For god knows what reason, this jackass walked into the room even though it was very clear which room was the roommates. If I had been a bit more awake, that guy would have found himself out on the sidewalk with a bashed in face.

So yeah, glad to see that AA and the fat camp really made a lasting impact (table was littered with food this morning and the box of sponge candy I brought back for my girlfriend was 75% empty). I still can't get past that idiot walking into the room though. We're talking about some random guy picked up at a bar. What happens if I'm not there? The door doesn't have a lock so that's not an option. There's going to have to be a serious discussion on this one because this garbage can't happen anymore.

You're either going to end up (1) buying a lock or (2) with a new roommate yourself.

I recommend (1).

My complaint: mucus.

Had a cold over Christmas week. No flu, I got the shot, just plugged up sinuses. Now the nose is geting better but it's all landed in my lungs.

I'm coughing like there's no tomorrow. Getting headaches from coughing so much.

Someone tell it to stop!

My complaint: mucus. Had a cold over Christmas week. No flu, I got the shot, just plugged up sinuses. Now the nose is geting better but it's all landed in my lungs. I'm coughing like there's no tomorrow. Getting headaches from coughing so much. Someone tell it to stop!

I'm just getting over something similar. It lasted a good two weeks and I spent 10 minutes every morning coughing up some nasty stuff. My wife the NP was sure I had walking pneumonia, but she could never hear it in my lungs. It was probably something viral and with that I usually prescribe myself heavy doses of high gravity beer.

As someone was so kind to point out a few Thursdays back, I seem to have a good bit of drama in my life, most stemming from my soon-to-be ex-wife (gotta love NC divorce law). I was looking forward to the start of 2012, to turn the page on 2011 and leave all that crap in the past.

At 8:00 Sunday morning, my ex-wife drops my son off at my house, and proceeds to tell me that she's got big news. She is now engaged to her new boyfriend (they met online and have been dating for two months), and she proposed to him on Christmas Day. We've been separated since August 1st, and our divorce won't be final until July 25, 2012 at the earliest. By the terms of our separation agreement, he isn't allowed to spend the night when she has our son unless she (or I if the situation is flipped), have been with the other person in a serious committed relationship for more than 6 months. That is her verbiage that she wanted added to the separation agreement. So she starts asking me for my permission to let him move in with her ASAP. He lives 30 minutes away but works in the town we live, so it's a "waste of money" for him to go back and forth. This comes just 3 months after she gave me a lengthy discourse on how marriage is old and completely b.s., and not necessary in this day and age, going so far to say she would never ever subject herself to "the chains of marriage" ever again. Her wedding is scheduled for June 22, 2013.

I don't care about her, I fully realize she's flipped her lid and, as Ben Folds says, "the bitch went nuts," but... I do worry about my son in all of this, and it's not fair for him to get attached to her boyfriend's son (he's 4 days older than my son), and then lose him because his mom is an impulsive moron. I'm literally bombarded daily with text messages asking if I've made up my mind about letting the guy move in, and I finally told me ex I didn't want to talk to her about it, if he wanted to do this, then have him come talk to me one-on-one. The guy's a bodybuilder so I can do him no physical harm and the intimidation factor just went out the window, but at least I can try to get inside his head a bit. He went to high school with my step sister, and was close friends with her cousin. I asked them for info on him, and they said he runs his mouth a lot and thinks he's hot stuff, a total liar who loves to talk a big game. I mentioned this to my ex, who said "that sounds like me, too." Correct she is.

Thanks a lot 2012. 8 hours in and I have to deal with this b.s.

Edited by ChileanSeaBass

Had a cold over Christmas week. No flu, I got the shot, just plugged up sinuses. Now the nose is geting better but it's all landed in my lungs.

Someone tell it to stop!

as nerdy as this may sound, i will swear by it: rub peppermint oil on your chest. it clears that stuff right out and helps you breathe a lot easier. i've used it the last two times i've had a cough like that, and sho' 'nuff, cleared out the nasty nice and fast like.

is the lease in your GF's name? if so, i would kick the roommate to the curb right speedily. obviously she has some self-esteem issues, and getting thrown out of her apartment probably won't help, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. if she can't keep her fingers off of other peoples' food or belongings, then something's gotta change.

i'm sorry man. sounds like a nasty situation she's in.

I assume it's in both of their names as that seems like it's how everything works around here. You and others mentioned the most obvious, that she needs a new roommate, but that's always a tough one. If no one she knows is looking for a move, that leaves her with a random draw, which could be just as disastrous. The serious discussion is the best option now, then we see where it goes from there.

My post in the friday thread last week should make it obvious that I'm invested in this situation for the long haul, so I'll do whatever I have to to make sure it gets sorted out.

My life insurance is term life with a premium that is paid once per year. The bill and the reminder notice both vanished into the pile of mail at home and I ended up paying it a couple of weeks late. Allstate cashed my check, but then about a month later issued me a refund check and told me that I had to apply to have the policy reinstated. After a series of PO'd phone calls, I was informed that they had to re-underwrite the entire policy, including me submitting my tax returns, having a phone interview, and taking a complete physical.

If all goes well in the underwriting process, they will reinstate the policy in another couple of weeks. In the meantime, I am not covered, so if I get hit by a bus today, my wife and kids are SOL. I asked whether it would be possible to keep the policy in place during the underwriting period and the answer was no. I asked whether it was possible to accelerate the process and the answer was no.

I have my life insurance, my wife's life insurance, my car insurance and my homeowners' insurance all with Allstate. When the insurance agent was selling me all of this, he was very proactive about calling me and getting everything done. However, there was no phone call when I really needed it -- ie when I was about to miss a deadline that resulted in a serious risk to my family's security. And when I proposed multiple solutions to covering me for the gap period until the underwriting was done -- sorry, they can't help me. I made a mistake in paying the bill late, but Allstate used it as an opportunity to reduce their risk on my policy, both by not covering me during the gap period and by re-underwriting the policy.

Oh, here's the kicker: assuming the underwriting and the physical checks out, they will reinstate the policy in a couple of weeks -- but I still have to pay for the period during which I was not covered. It's an annual premium, and the uncovered period will end up being about 3 months, so I'm going to end up paying an extra 25% for the privilege of having them jerk me around.

Needless to say, as soon as I get the policy back in place, I'm going to take my business elsewhere.

I assume it's in both of their names as that seems like it's how everything works around here. You and others mentioned the most obvious, that she needs a new roommate, but that's always a tough one. If no one she knows is looking for a move, that leaves her with a random draw, which could be just as disastrous. The serious discussion is the best option now, then we see where it goes from there.

My post in the friday thread last week should make it obvious that I'm invested in this situation for the long haul, so I'll do whatever I have to to make sure it gets sorted out.

good point about the long haul. if you two think you're ready for that step, it would definitely get her out of the roommate-from-hell situation.

as one who's been married for 11+ years, i'm all about the long-term commitment. good on ya for taking the step man! dating was fun. i seriously loved it. but settling on one person ... making them the priority and knowing they've made you their priority ... nothing beats it. i know there are some on here who haven't been as fortunate in their marital sojourns, and to that end, i truly am sorry. i guess i just got super lucky. angelic doesn't even come close to describing my wife. she puts up with all my crap day in and day out, yet she still sees past that and finds the good in me. that is ... it's indescribable.

anyway, sorry for the rant. should've saved that for tomorrow, eh? :)

My life insurance is term life with a premium that is paid once per year. The bill and the reminder notice both vanished into the pile of mail at home and I ended up paying it a couple of weeks late. Allstate cashed my check, but then about a month later issued me a refund check and told me that I had to apply to have the policy reinstated. After a series of PO'd phone calls, I was informed that they had to re-underwrite the entire policy, including me submitting my tax returns, having a phone interview, and taking a complete physical. If all goes well in the underwriting process, they will reinstate the policy in another couple of weeks. In the meantime, I am not covered, so if I get hit by a bus today, my wife and kids are SOL. I asked whether it would be possible to keep the policy in place during the underwriting period and the answer was no. I asked whether it was possible to accelerate the process and the answer was no. I have my life insurance, my wife's life insurance, my car insurance and my homeowners' insurance all with Allstate. When the insurance agent was selling me all of this, he was very proactive about calling me and getting everything done. However, there was no phone call when I really needed it -- ie when I was about to miss a deadline that resulted in a serious risk to my family's security. And when I proposed multiple solutions to covering me for the gap period until the underwriting was done -- sorry, they can't help me. I made a mistake in paying the bill late, but Allstate used it as an opportunity to reduce their risk on my policy, both by not covering me during the gap period and by re-underwriting the policy. Oh, here's the kicker: assuming the underwriting and the physical checks out, they will reinstate the policy in a couple of weeks -- but I still have to pay for the period during which I was not covered. It's an annual premium, and the uncovered period will end up being about 3 months, so I'm going to end up paying an extra 25% for the privilege of having them jerk me around. Needless to say, as soon as I get the policy back in place, I'm going to take my business elsewhere.

Ruthless bastards. I'd poke around here some....

http://www.term4sale.com/

My life insurance is term life with a premium that is paid once per year. The bill and the reminder notice both vanished into the pile of mail at home and I ended up paying it a couple of weeks late. Allstate cashed my check, but then about a month later issued me a refund check and told me that I had to apply to have the policy reinstated. After a series of PO'd phone calls, I was informed that they had to re-underwrite the entire policy, including me submitting my tax returns, having a phone interview, and taking a complete physical.

If all goes well in the underwriting process, they will reinstate the policy in another couple of weeks. In the meantime, I am not covered, so if I get hit by a bus today, my wife and kids are SOL. I asked whether it would be possible to keep the policy in place during the underwriting period and the answer was no. I asked whether it was possible to accelerate the process and the answer was no.

I have my life insurance, my wife's life insurance, my car insurance and my homeowners' insurance all with Allstate. When the insurance agent was selling me all of this, he was very proactive about calling me and getting everything done. However, there was no phone call when I really needed it -- ie when I was about to miss a deadline that resulted in a serious risk to my family's security. And when I proposed multiple solutions to covering me for the gap period until the underwriting was done -- sorry, they can't help me. I made a mistake in paying the bill late, but Allstate used it as an opportunity to reduce their risk on my policy, both by not covering me during the gap period and by re-underwriting the policy.

Oh, here's the kicker: assuming the underwriting and the physical checks out, they will reinstate the policy in a couple of weeks -- but I still have to pay for the period during which I was not covered. It's an annual premium, and the uncovered period will end up being about 3 months, so I'm going to end up paying an extra 25% for the privilege of having them jerk me around.

Needless to say, as soon as I get the policy back in place, I'm going to take my business elsewhere.

I don't know much about life insurance, but could you have gotten a policy elsewhere in a shorter period of time instead of waiting on these idiots?

WOW! that's ridiculous! any way your girl can move out, or even better, kick the other girl out?! It probably goes without say, but it's more than likely a good thing you WERE there.

My complaint today: my two friends that were engaged officially split. I am now caught in the middle (where I had worked to keep out of), and I am trying to help him more so than her, as she has a network of friends. He is a complete wreck and I was up half the night just talking with him about the whole thing. Now that I got him calm, I've got the rest of the was to be wedding party getting a hold of me asking for details. I have been very vague so far as to what specifically is going on, but have made it clear that they are done. I am trying to shield them as much as possible from the endless onslaught of people asking for "juicy details." Being the best man does have down side... :(

To make matters better, I need to get a hold of Men's Warehouse and see if they will refund us groomsmen any of our payment towards the Tuxedo rental... :(

He still has to go spend the weekend skiing with his family :death: , and is going to break the news to them this weekend. I'm almost 100% positive I will be getting a phone call or two for moral support since I'm not going with.

Do I know you? This almost sounds like my life the last 2 months... scary.

You are a good friend and let me tell you your buddy needs you more than you'll ever know. You should be able to cancel your tuxes as long as its sufficient time before the wedding if that helps. Don't tell other people whats going on. If your friend wanted everyone to know the juicy details he would tell them but being vague is a great thing for you to do. Shield him as much as you can because the hurt and pain lies just below the surface and constant bombardment from others just adds to it and brings it to the surface. I am truly sorry for your friend and good luck.

Do I know you? This almost sounds like my life the last 2 months... scary.

You are a good friend and let me tell you your buddy needs you more than you'll ever know. You should be able to cancel your tuxes as long as its sufficient time before the wedding if that helps. Don't tell other people whats going on. If your friend wanted everyone to know the juicy details he would tell them but being vague is a great thing for you to do. Shield him as much as you can because the hurt and pain lies just below the surface and constant bombardment from others just adds to it and brings it to the surface. I am truly sorry for your friend and good luck.

Thank you, the support is much appreciated.

my complaint: it is not july!!!

this is not weather-related. it's time-related. our road trip to WNY starts july 21, and i'm already planning where to stay, KOAs, looking at quality tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses, tourist interests on or generally close to the 70 and 90, things to do in WNY ... i already know one day will be eaten up by taking a road trip to pittsburgh. my boss has lanyards from every major league baseball team EXCEPT the pirates. i will be filling that void for him since he's being ridiculously cool about this 3-week vacation.

yah ... it's not much of a complaint, but it's 2012. 2011 is over and in my rear view mirror, and i'm not looking back. i really don't have much to complain about.

I got mine through Selectquote.

Some pretty good stuff here today. Definitely some good therapy going on.

My complaint. I got a colonoscopy today. That's not my complaint. You would think that with all the no eating and shissing and the whole tube up the butt thing that that would be my complaint. It's not. That's just something you have to do.

My complaint is that my life is so crazy, raising a high energy, low functioning, autistic seven year old, that getting a colonoscopy actually felt like a spa day. I can't remember the last time I just laid in bed for an hour and a half, in silence, and just relaxed, without the threat of someone dropping a book or toy on my head or having to jump up because she is going to pull the refrigerator on top of herself. The drugs were pretty good, too.

Some pretty good stuff here today. Definitely some good therapy going on.

My complaint. I got a colonoscopy today. That's not my complaint. You would think that with all the no eating and shissing and the whole tube up the butt thing that that would be my complaint. It's not. That's just something you have to do.

My complaint is that my life is so crazy, raising a high energy, low functioning, autistic seven year old, that getting a colonoscopy actually felt like a spa day. I can't remember the last time I just laid in bed for an hour and a half, in silence, and just relaxed, without the threat of someone dropping a book or toy on my head or having to jump up because she is going to pull the refrigerator on top of herself. The drugs were pretty good, too.

That's funny. Another plus: you won't need to crap for a few days. lol

Someone tell it to stop!

I had bronchitis a while back. Knocked me out for a good two weeks. The headaches from coughing are the worst.

I offer my sympathies to you for the insurance situation, but I really hate "SOL" as an abbreviation (may or may not have something to do with the fact that it's my first name).

My complaint is very minor. The college application proccess is obnoxious, as I am currently working much harder to complete the applications for my backup schools (SUNY Buffalo, Binghamton) than I ever had to for my first choice (McGill in Montreal).

That's funny. Another plus: you won't need to crap for a few days. lol

Nice. I just read that in the Post Reeming literature.

Another funny line - After the test you may feel bloated. This will be relieved by passing the air rectally. Thanks,.. I wasn't sure.

I'm just getting over something similar. It lasted a good two weeks and I spent 10 minutes every morning coughing up some nasty stuff. My wife the NP was sure I had walking pneumonia, but she could never hear it in my lungs. It was probably something viral and with that I usually prescribe myself heavy doses of high gravity beer.

I did that for the cold I had on New Years Eve, and it worked fantastically. Adding Daytime cold medicine and shots helps too.

Complaint: kinda sorta dating girl is now friend girl. Knew it was coming for the entire relationship, but doesn't make it suck that much less. Shrader, where does that chick hang out? ;)

I did that for the cold I had on New Years Eve, and it worked fantastically. Adding Daytime cold medicine and shots helps too.

Complaint: kinda sorta dating girl is now friend girl. Knew it was coming for the entire relationship, but doesn't make it suck that much less. Shrader, where does that chick hang out? ;)

Check your local trough.