Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

My girlfriend has 3 kids, two boys from her first marriage and a daughter from her second. The boys dad lives in Hawaii and sends them crap all the time. The girl's dad is totally MIA and has seen her once in the past 4 years (she's 6). No Christmas presents, no birthday cards, nothing. She's the sweetest thing, who absolutely loves my son. On Tuesday the boys got a big box in the mail with all their Christmas presents from Hawaii. In the past their Dad has included a present for the girl, but this year he didn't as he's pissed at my girlfriend for pulling a child support review (dude pays $1800/mo for his house in HI, and complains about paying $200/mo for his boys who he sees once a year). Needless to say, the girl was devastated, as here her brothers have about 6 gifts each from their dad, and she knows that once again her dad doesn't give a ######.

My girlfriend was telling me about how her daughter was flipping out and so upset, so after my hockey game tuesday night, I stopped at the store and spent $15 on a few little "girly" items - some lip gloss, hair bows, new crayons, stuff like that. Got home, wrapped it all up, put it in a box, and made it look all legit with postage and the works, but with no return address or markings to know where it came from.

Last night I stopped by and hid it under a chair on the front porch. The boys were in bed, but the girl was still up, so I told her there was a box outside that came in the mail. She didn't believe me, so she went to check. She comes running back in the house with a box addressed to her and starts flipping out. She begs her mom to let her open the presents, and tears them open before she even gets the "ok." I've never seen a kid more excited to get a few little things. All the while she keeps saying "I knew my daddy wouldn't forget me again!" After everything is opened and she's beaming from ear to ear, my girlfriend is cleaning everything up and goes to throw out the box, but her daughter stopped her and insisted she keep it. Why? She said she "always wanted to remember the day her daddy finally sent her something." At this point my girlfriend is bawling, and wants to tell her the truth, but I wouldn't let her. She doesn't need to know.

So my complaint is about douchebag guys like that who if they'd only take a whopping 10 minutes could make their kid feel like the most important kid in the world. Crap like that just pisses me off to end.

Edited by ChileanSeaBass
  • Like (+1) 2

Unless I'm writing just a few lines, I always write my Sabrespace missives in a plain text file, then copy and paste it into the "Reply" field. That way, if it gets messed up, I have a backup copy. Sorry, I'm an IT guy, so I have this thing about making backup copies of everything.....

Today's complaint - board moderators who crop their avatars just at the point where they are getting interesting... :wub:

:clapping:

and a quick thank you to she whose avatar is the cause of Sabre Dance's consternation.

my complaint: program engineers who claim to have reviewed a manual 2 months ago and at the time said everything was fine, but come to find out, 2 days before the customer wants the document, that s/he feels there are significant changes that need to be rolled in to the final product. this is *not* due to any changes to the hardware or software ... just changes s/he would like to see implemented and feels would "be of great benefit to the customer." these changes are generally procedural in nature, such as "disconnect hard drive from computer" instead of my multi-step procedure on how to actually disconnect the hard drive and reinstall a new one. so for the most part, nothing of real substance.

ohhhh ... except for the part where this hard drive now has to be encrypted, where nowhere in the SOW does it say that the hardware is classified and requires any kind of encryption, which raises a boat-load of questions: "what's driving the need for the encryption?" "who requested this?" "what encryption standard is being used?" "what type of key is being used?" and of course, this PE has gone and scheduled the rest of the week off and all of next week for vacation, leaving me no one to contact regarding any questions i have.

awesome. good thing my manager has my back.

other complaint: manager says he wants to buy my old phone for his daughter for christmas. "can i take it home and show it to her?"

me: "ummm ... sure. i guess."

manager: "great! thanks."

next day, he says, he'll offer $80. "well, hmm. actually, i have it posted on craigslist for $150, so ... i mean, i guess i could go $100, but that's as low as i can go."

manager: "okay. can i bring you the cash tomorrow?"

me: "i ... guess. sure."

this was tuesday. as of this morning, i have neither phone nor cash in hand. and yes--you guessed it: he's off the rest of the week.

My girlfriend has 3 kids, two boys from her first marriage and a daughter from her second. The boys dad lives in Hawaii and sends them crap all the time. The girl's dad is totally MIA and has seen her once in the past 4 years (she's 6). No Christmas presents, no birthday cards, nothing. She's the sweetest thing, who absolutely loves my son. On Tuesday the boys got a big box in the mail with all their Christmas presents from Hawaii. In the past their Dad has included a present for the girl, but this year he didn't as he's pissed at my girlfriend for pulling a child support review (dude pays $1800/mo for his house in HI, and complains about paying $200/mo for his boys who he sees once a year). Needless to say, the girl was devastated, as here her brothers have about 6 gifts each from their dad, and she knows that once again her dad doesn't give a ######.

My girlfriend was telling me about how her daughter was flipping out and so upset, so after my hockey game tuesday night, I stopped at the store and spent $15 on a few little "girly" items - some lip gloss, hair bows, new crayons, stuff like that. Got home, wrapped it all up, put it in a box, and made it look all legit with postage and the works, but with no return address or markings to know where it came from.

Last night I stopped by and hid it under a chair on the front porch. The boys were in bed, but the girl was still up, so I told her there was a box outside that came in the mail. She didn't believe me, so she went to check. She comes running back in the house with a box addressed to her and starts flipping out. She begs her mom to let her open the presents, and tears them open before she even gets the "ok." I've never seen a kid more excited to get a few little things. All the while she keeps saying "I knew my daddy wouldn't forget me again!" After everything is opened and she's beaming from ear to ear, my girlfriend is cleaning everything up and goes to throw out the box, but her daughter stopped her and insisted she keep it. Why? She said she "always wanted to remember the day her daddy finally sent her something." At this point my girlfriend is bawling, and wants to tell her the truth, but I wouldn't let her. She doesn't need to know.

So my complaint is about douchebag guys like that who if they'd only take a whopping 10 minutes could make their kid feel like the most important kid in the world. Crap like that just pisses me off to end.

OH.

MY.

EFFFFING.

HELL.

dude, two things:

1. GOOD ON YOU for making her feel like a princess. no kid in the world deserves that. you totally made her life. that's most excellent and commendable.

2. i would write the dad a very long, lengthy nasty-gram and tell him what a prick he is for putting his kid through that.

Does anyone believe in defensive driving anymore? I don't know how many moving violation tickets are issued on any given day, but patrols need to be increased and the number of tickets need to be doubled or tripled.

The answer to your question is an emphatic NO! My main complaint is distracted driving, I see a-holes texting, reading and applying make up all the time while driving, but yesterday I witnessed an overabundance of this idiotic behavior. As a victim of an a-hole distracted driver it really makes my blood boil when I see this. Anyone reading this who texts, reads or in any way does stupid ###### when you're supposed to be driving then I'm sorry you are an a-hole too.

F*ck, I just want to punch someone right now.

My girlfriend has 3 kids, two boys from her first marriage and a daughter from her second. The boys dad lives in Hawaii and sends them crap all the time. The girl's dad is totally MIA and has seen her once in the past 4 years (she's 6). No Christmas presents, no birthday cards, nothing. She's the sweetest thing, who absolutely loves my son. On Tuesday the boys got a big box in the mail with all their Christmas presents from Hawaii. In the past their Dad has included a present for the girl, but this year he didn't as he's pissed at my girlfriend for pulling a child support review (dude pays $1800/mo for his house in HI, and complains about paying $200/mo for his boys who he sees once a year). Needless to say, the girl was devastated, as here her brothers have about 6 gifts each from their dad, and she knows that once again her dad doesn't give a ######. My girlfriend was telling me about how her daughter was flipping out and so upset, so after my hockey game tuesday night, I stopped at the store and spent $15 on a few little "girly" items - some lip gloss, hair bows, new crayons, stuff like that. Got home, wrapped it all up, put it in a box, and made it look all legit with postage and the works, but with no return address or markings to know where it came from. Last night I stopped by and hid it under a chair on the front porch. The boys were in bed, but the girl was still up, so I told her there was a box outside that came in the mail. She didn't believe me, so she went to check. She comes running back in the house with a box addressed to her and starts flipping out. She begs her mom to let her open the presents, and tears them open before she even gets the "ok." I've never seen a kid more excited to get a few little things. All the while she keeps saying "I knew my daddy wouldn't forget me again!" After everything is opened and she's beaming from ear to ear, my girlfriend is cleaning everything up and goes to throw out the box, but her daughter stopped her and insisted she keep it. Why? She said she "always wanted to remember the day her daddy finally sent her something." At this point my girlfriend is bawling, and wants to tell her the truth, but I wouldn't let her. She doesn't need to know. So my complaint is about douchebag guys like that who if they'd only take a whopping 10 minutes could make their kid feel like the most important kid in the world. Crap like that just pisses me off to end.

Wow. Good on you, man. You have to be a prick of the highest order to shun your own flesh and blood like that. Sickening.

(1) I commend you for doing that. I have the utmost respect for people that put their pride aside for things like this, as you could've easily have told her that the present was from you. Years down the road, will she find out? maybe, but you were able to light up her world for the evening.

(2) I have no respect for guys who become just "sperm donors". If you have a kid, treat them right.

:clapping:

and a quick thank you to she whose avatar is the cause of Sabre Dance's consternation.

my complaint: program engineers who claim to have reviewed a manual 2 months ago and at the time said everything was fine, but come to find out, 2 days before the customer wants the document, that s/he feels there are significant changes that need to be rolled in to the final product. this is *not* due to any changes to the hardware or software ... just changes s/he would like to see implemented and feels would "be of great benefit to the customer." these changes are generally procedural in nature, such as "disconnect hard drive from computer" instead of my multi-step procedure on how to actually disconnect the hard drive and reinstall a new one. so for the most part, nothing of real substance.

ohhhh ... except for the part where this hard drive now has to be encrypted, where nowhere in the SOW does it say that the hardware is classified and requires any kind of encryption, which raises a boat-load of questions: "what's driving the need for the encryption?" "who requested this?" "what encryption standard is being used?" "what type of key is being used?" and of course, this PE has gone and scheduled the rest of the week off and all of next week for vacation, leaving me no one to contact regarding any questions i have.

awesome. good thing my manager has my back.

other complaint: manager says he wants to buy my old phone for his daughter for christmas. "can i take it home and show it to her?"

me: "ummm ... sure. i guess."

manager: "great! thanks."

next day, he says, he'll offer $80. "well, hmm. actually, i have it posted on craigslist for $150, so ... i mean, i guess i could go $100, but that's as low as i can go."

manager: "okay. can i bring you the cash tomorrow?"

me: "i ... guess. sure."

this was tuesday. as of this morning, i have neither phone nor cash in hand. and yes--you guessed it: he's off the rest of the week.

OH.

MY.

EFFFFING.

HELL.

dude, two things:

1. GOOD ON YOU for making her feel like a princess. no kid in the world deserves that. you totally made her life. that's most excellent and commendable.

2. i would write the dad a very long, lengthy nasty-gram and tell him what a prick he is for putting his kid through that.

(1) I am having a similar issue with my engineers here too. Everyone says they read what they needed to, and then ask a million questions about it (I think I posted this as last weeks complaint lol).

(2) I hate people that say, "Oh, I'll pay you tomorrow" and then either a don't show up or b don't pay you till way down the road. That's why now, when I lend someone money, or sell something to them, I'll generally put our transaction in writing, and part of the contract will be that if they don't pay me by x date, there will be interest. I had 1 too many problems with people asking for a few bucks when I was in college.

Well, up until this year, that guy definitely deserves credit for sending something for the girl as well. He obviously never had to do that.

That's one crappy situation with the girl though. The false hope is probably a good thing for her at this age, but unfortunately it has to come crashing down at some point.

You'd love Boston driving. If you don't tail someone through an intersection, someone coming the other way WILL try to turn left through that tiny window. It's a scientific fact. All of the things people always complain about with people from Boston, they're all true.

Oh, and after today I'm on vacation until 1/3. Doesn't sound like a complaint, I know. But even with that, I can't stop thinking about what I'm going to do when I get back. I should be thinking about my vacation. Then again, maybe it's not seeing the girlfriend for 11 days... yeah, that's the complaint right there.

He speaks truth.

Well, up until this year, that guy definitely deserves credit for sending something for the girl as well. He obviously never had to do that.

That's one crappy situation with the girl though. The false hope is probably a good thing for her at this age, but unfortunately it has to come crashing down at some point.

You're right, and he's always tried to include her because he knows she gets a raw deal. He flies to boys out to HI for 3 weeks every summer, and she's always stuck at home with mom. This year he's taking out his issues with his ex-wife on her, which is unfortunate.

In my opinion, that's the worst thing any child should never have to endure. As a person who comes from split parents (split when I was 7, my sister was 2), I witnessed first hand the emotional devastation that my sister endured when my parents just split. We'd only see my dad maybe once a month (he moved to Buffalo, we moved to Ithaca/Dryden area), and my sister was a wreck because of that. I can't even fathom the emotional toll of not seeing a parent at all for years, let alone not even hearing from them.

My complaint for the week is having to be out of town on work the week before christmas. I fly home tonight and really hope i don't get stuck somewhere and not make it home. The worst part is that the company I was going on site to audit didn't have any staff this week since, you guessed it, they were all on christmas vacation. Even though we had contacted them two weeks ago making sure that they would be staffed enough to complete the exam requirements. Waste of my time. :thumbdown:

Wouldn't be worth my time. No one knows where he is (last we knew he was in Alabama and was planning to join a Buddhist commune in Oregon). He's a total leetch who finds single women with kids, and then warps them into thinking they can't survive without him even though he doesn't work, sleeps around (with men and women), and is physically abusive. My girlfriend got pregnant and didn't want to marry him, and she held out until her daughter was 6 months old, but wanted her boys to have a "man" in the house and her daughter to have her dad. She went against her better judgement, married him, and kicked him out 6 months later. He tried to get back a few times, and when she wouldn't take him back, he told her he would never talk to his daughter again, and she'd be alone with 3 kids. To date he's pretty much kept his end of the deal. My girlfriend is now friends with his other ex-wife (the little girl has a half-sister), and he pulled the same crap with her. Plus there are allegations that have come out in the past year or two that he molested some girls. That's another reason no one knows where he is.

Wouldn't be worth my time. No one knows where he is (last we knew he was in Alabama and was planning to join a Buddhist commune in Oregon). He's a total leetch who finds single women with kids, and then warps them into thinking they can't survive without him even though he doesn't work, sleeps around (with men and women), and is physically abusive. My girlfriend got pregnant and didn't want to marry him, and she held out until her daughter was 6 months old, but wanted her boys to have a "man" in the house and her daughter to have her dad. She went against her better judgement, married him, and kicked him out 6 months later. He tried to get back a few times, and when she wouldn't take him back, he told her he would never talk to his daughter again, and she'd be alone with 3 kids. To date he's pretty much kept his end of the deal. My girlfriend is now friends with his other ex-wife (the little girl has a half-sister), and he pulled the same crap with her. Plus there are allegations that have come out in the past year or two that he molested some girls. That's another reason no one knows where he is.

Wow. That's some messed up ######!

..... Why? She said she "always wanted to remember the day her daddy finally sent her something." At this point my girlfriend is bawling, and wants to tell her the truth, but I wouldn't let her. She doesn't need to know.

My complaint is that there are not more thoughtful people in the world like this. Thats' a christmas spirit worth talking about.

Merry Chrstmas Chilean and nice to hear you sound like your making it through your own family situation with your head in the right place. :worthy:

• Like (+1) 1

You sir are a gentleman and a Santa Claus. Karma dude. You'll get it, so will the girl, so will the Dad.

I can't fault the father of the boys. He took care of his kids. It doesn't sound like he's got extra, as it ought to cost a lot more than $1800/month to live in HI.

My complaint is sort of a opposite: A good friend at work's ex-wife got caught cheating on him, yet got custody of the early teenage boys, and alimony. She now lives with her boyfriend and the kids, collecting alimony and child support while he, on a >$120k/year salary, can barely make ends meet because he has a condo in the same town that she moved to. And yeah, he'll be alone for Christmas. The moral of the story - never get a divorce in Massachusetts if you are a guy.

Edit: Oh, I should have mentioned this - that was a beautiful thing for you to do. My hat is off to you.

And that right there is reason enough to make every effort possible to avoid the guy like the plague. The only useful thing about this guy is his family medical history.

I can't fault the father of the boys. He took care of his kids. It doesn't sound like he's got extra, as it ought to cost a lot more than $1800/month to live in HI. My complaint is sort of a opposite: A good friend at work's ex-wife got caught cheating on him, yet got custody of the early teenage boys, and alimony. She now lives with her boyfriend and the kids, collecting alimony and child support while he, on a >$120k/year salary, can barely make ends meet because he has a condo in the same town that she moved to. And yeah, he'll be alone for Christmas. The moral of the story - never get a divorce in Massachusetts if you are a guy. Edit: Oh, I should have mentioned this - that was a beautiful thing for you to do. My hat is off to you.

That sucks. I have a friend who had something similar happen to him, only his wife cheated by switching teams and dating a woman. He moved out, but he has refused to grant her a divorce thereby preventing his wife from living under the same roof with her girlfriend and his sons.

I can't fault the father of the boys. He took care of his kids. It doesn't sound like he's got extra, as it ought to cost a lot more than $1800/month to live in HI.

It's a complicated situation with this guy. He's loaded. His dad has megabucks and he works for his dad. He gets paid mostly under the table, so NC Child Services can't prove that he should be paying more.

I'd like to complain about one of my dogs having explosive diarrhea this morning. Nothing ruins your morning more than having to clean smelly dog diarrhea off of a new rug ('cus they can't possible go on the hardwood floors, which cover about 95% of the house and is much easier to clean). I damned near threw up in my mouth when I was trying to clean it up. Urgh...

It's a complicated situation with this guy. He's loaded. His dad has megabucks and he works for his dad. He gets paid mostly under the table, so NC Child Services can't prove that he should be paying more.

There is a lot of drama in your life (not saying you are dramatic).

There is a lot of drama in your life (not saying you are dramatic).

This is true, and I'd like to add that to my complaint list. I don't think I've ever had to deal with so much drama in one year. 2011 has sucked.

At least things are pretty well normal with my ex-wife (well, that'll be official in July). She couldn't wait to split up with me so she could be with her old H.S. ex who she cheated on me with, and that lasted exactly one month. Then she was excited to be single and date around. She went on one date with a guy, and now he's moving in with her in February. Boy am I happy to be rid of her.

Edited by ChileanSeaBass

You sir are to be commended. Merry Xmas to you and yours! :thumbsup:

Hats off to you, CSB -- you literally saved Christmas for that little girl, and that was awesome. I remember a number of years back my parents did something similar for my cousin... they never had much money anyhow, and his step-dad was an alcoholic A-hole who went out and drank away the money he was supposed to use for presents. So, my parents bought a bunch of inexpensive toys and things for my cousin and let him think it was all from Santa. I can't understand people like those parents, but again, good on you. :worthy:

My complaints:

1) Headaches yesterday and today. I love my dog, but his constant interruption of my sleep (and insufficient sleep in general, combined with long work hours) are really starting to wear on me.

2) Only 7 more working days at my current job, and I have way more work to do than I can realistically complete in that timeframe. Sometimes I wish I didn't give a sh!t, but I want to make sure everything is in order for my replacement, and honestly it's to my benefit as well because I'm cramming to finish experiments for a paper on which I'll be first author.

3) My boss, who has been in England since mid-August, came back today and wants to have what is almost guaranteed to be a two hour meeting tomorrow, starting at 2pm. Ugh.