Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Jerry Sullivan - why does anyone even bother?

This guy irritates the hell out of me. He's supposed to be a free lance writer for the News and cover whatever he chooses.

He has made it obvious that he dislikes hockey - listing it after the NBA, football, and baseball...saying that it's tough to watch a game of hockey. He has not written an article on the Sabres until yesterday - and then just to give us the same old ######...fire Darcy...fire Ruff...trade everyone.

Now I see that his opinions are being read by Lyle Richardson and mentioned in his daily column on NHL Rumors. These guys don't know that all he cares about is his precious NBA and could care less about the Sabres or hockey in general. He belongs in Atlanta, Phoenix, or Cleveland. I wish he would just go away.

• Like (+1) 1

Hats off to you, CSB -- you literally saved Christmas for that little girl, and that was awesome. I remember a number of years back my parents did something similar for my cousin... they never had much money anyhow, and his step-dad was an alcoholic A-hole who went out and drank away the money he was supposed to use for presents. So, my parents bought a bunch of inexpensive toys and things for my cousin and let him think it was all from Santa. I can't understand people like those parents, but again, good on you. :worthy:

My complaints:

1) Headaches yesterday and today. I love my dog, but his constant interruption of my sleep (and insufficient sleep in general, combined with long work hours) are really starting to wear on me.

2) Only 7 more working days at my current job, and I have way more work to do than I can realistically complete in that timeframe. Sometimes I wish I didn't give a sh!t, but I want to make sure everything is in order for my replacement, and honestly it's to my benefit as well because I'm cramming to finish experiments for a paper on which I'll be first author.

3) My boss, who has been in England since mid-August, came back today and wants to have what is almost guaranteed to be a two hour meeting tomorrow, starting at 2pm. Ugh.

i don't know, but from here, you look a little pale and ... well, may i just say it? not well. you should probably take the day off and get better. ;)

yah ... listen to me. i wouldn't even pull that stunt. :)

i don't know, but from here, you look a little pale and ... well, may i just say it? not well. you should probably take the day off and get better. ;)

yah ... listen to me. i wouldn't even pull that stunt. :)

Unfortunately this is how I always look! :lol:

Hats off to you, CSB -- you literally saved Christmas for that little girl, and that was awesome. I remember a number of years back my parents did something similar for my cousin... they never had much money anyhow, and his step-dad was an alcoholic A-hole who went out and drank away the money he was supposed to use for presents. So, my parents bought a bunch of inexpensive toys and things for my cousin and let him think it was all from Santa. I can't understand people like those parents, but again, good on you. :worthy:

Wow, that's exactly like the song:

Complaint: It's a complicated story, but girl I'm kinda dating is evaluating whether we're still kinda dating.

• Like (+1) 1

Unfortunately this is how I always look! :lol:

there is *nothing* wrong with that. :)

i'd also go with chz's advice. schedule the MRI for about 2:30. that way, you have to leave RIGHT when the meeting starts. then conveniently forget that you had the appt. and head straight to ... anywhere else. cuz, you know ... concussions can cause short-term memory loss.

can't they ...?

• Like (+1) 1

there is *nothing* wrong with that. :)

i'd also go with chz's advice. schedule the MRI for about 2:30. that way, you have to leave RIGHT when the meeting starts. then conveniently forget that you had the appt. and head straight to ... anywhere else. cuz, you know ... concussions can cause short-term memory loss.

can't they ...?

Your way of thinking, sir; I like it! lol :thumbsup:

Well, that could work in your favor; maybe you'll be upgraded from "kinda" to "actually" dating!

That's certainly *not* the way it's going. On the plus side, it's all for a good reason and I want her to be happy. Ideally involving me somehow.

2) Only 7 more working days at my current job, and I have way more work to do than I can realistically complete in that timeframe. Sometimes I wish I didn't give a sh!t, but I want to make sure everything is in order for my replacement, and honestly it's to my benefit as well because I'm cramming to finish experiments for a paper on which I'll be first author.

Good for you! What's your research area?

Try something different. Is it your browser? Your computer?

I don't know what to try. I can't really use a different computer as all I have available is the MacBook I use, and it's hard to troubleshoot w/ different browsers because, even in Safari, it doesn't happen every time.. just most of the time. I could go make ten posts in a row on firefox or something, but maybe the 11th one will mess up. I can't be the only one on here using Safari... but apparently am the only one getting this problem lol

I don't know what to try. I can't really use a different computer as all I have available is the MacBook I use, and it's hard to troubleshoot w/ different browsers because, even in Safari, it doesn't happen every time.. just most of the time. I could go make ten posts in a row on firefox or something, but maybe the 11th one will mess up. I can't be the only one on here using Safari... but apparently am the only one getting this problem lol

but what you are saying is that it happens across different broswers. Correct? Have you tried just using the "full editor"?

Agreed, some times the editor preserves whitespace, sometimes it mashes everything together. Haven't figured out the rhyme nor reason yet.

Good for you! What's your research area?

Thanks! It'll actually be my second first author manuscript. :) The lab I'm in currently is studying how genetic variants influence the metabolism of vitamin D, with the hope of eventually extending that to kidney cancer risk / treatment. The new lab will be focused on studying the inflammatory response, both in patients with allergies and with inflammatory bowel disease. Should be interesting!

Or hit a home run and get listed on speed dial under "booty call"...

:lol:

but what you are saying is that it happens across different broswers. Correct? Have you tried just using the "full editor"?

I haven't tried it in firefox yet. Just downloaded & got it installed so I guess I'll make some posts with it and test it out.

This post is being made in "Full Editor" mode so let's see what happens...

Edit: Looks to be ok. On to the next one.

Edited by thesportsbuff

Thanks! It'll actually be my second first author manuscript. :) The lab I'm in currently is studying how genetic variants influence the metabolism of vitamin D, with the hope of eventually extending that to kidney cancer risk / treatment. The new lab will be focused on studying the inflammatory response, both in patients with allergies and with inflammatory bowel disease. Should be interesting!

So run a couple 1000 SNPs and see what sticks?

I haven't tried it in firefox yet. Just downloaded & got it installed so I guess I'll make some posts with it and test it out.

This post is being made in "Full Editor" mode so let's see what happens...

Edit: Looks to be ok. On to the next one.

I've been running firefox on a macbook for a few years. No problems in this regard that I can remember.

Yes but picture the image. An attractive Biodork chick in a white lab coat with thick black rimmed glasses and ...cue the music and the cameras!

Picture it? It's what gets me through the day most weeks. :wub:

So run a couple 1000 SNPs and see what sticks?

Unfortunately, sometimes. :( My boss is an epidemiologist so this is her approach, but I'm a molecular biologist so my job is to test for functional differences in the SNPs. For example, she looks at how common a variant is in a population and whether it correlates with any other measures from that group (like levels of serum vitamin D metabolites), where I test whether a specific variant changes DNA:protein binding and gene expression.

Nerd fight!

Ah, crap, I fell into that one.

Except I don't have the slightest clue what I'm talking about but she does.

Could've fooled me!

Yes but picture the image. An attractive Biodork chick in a white lab coat with thick black rimmed glasses and ...cue the music and the cameras!

Picture it? It's what gets me through the day most weeks. :wub:

:lol:

Unfortunately, sometimes. :( My boss is an epidemiologist so this is her approach, but I'm a molecular biologist so my job is to test for functional differences in the SNPs. For example, she looks at how common a variant is in a population and whether it correlates with any other measures from that group (like levels of serum vitamin D metabolites), where I test whether a specific variant changes DNA:protein binding and gene expression.

:huh: :huh:

I was able to pull out some jargon thanks to the fact that my mother was a research scientist for years and I spent a lot of time at her lectures/presentations/labs, etc. But it doesn't help the confusion at all lol