Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

It's the last week of classes and it's as if students have just checked their grades for the first time. I've gotten about 40 "what can I do about my grade" emails this week. Couple that with those saying it's unfair I took off X points for not following Y direction for the paper (never mind that the assignment literally says failure to comply will result in loss of 10 points) and I'm about ready to have "email technical issues" for awhile.

Oh, and I had an interview cancelled today because the school made an offer to one of the candidates that interviewed last week. Apparently I should have just cancelled class for two days so I could interview last week.

True, you're a college professor, right?  

Your post validates all of the thoughts me and my high school colleagues have regarding what high school policies are doing for collegiate level life.

I offer you my sincerest apologies.  Things suck worse at my level and I know you knowing that is no consolation prize.

Great stand up. He also had a TV show on Fox called Titus where Stacy Keach played his father. It was ahead of its time.

That show was awesome.

My favorites: Bob Newhart - the Button Down Mind is the greatest ever,

Dennis Miller,

Rita Rudner,

Chris Rock,

Dennis Leary,

Ron White,

Mitch Hedberg, &

George Carlin.

Saw a handful of them live.

That show was awesome.

My favorites: Bob Newhart - the Button Down Mind is the greatest ever,

Dennis Miller,

Rita Rudner,

Chris Rock,

Dennis Leary,

Ron White,

Mitch Hedberg, &

George Carlin.

Saw a handful of them live.

Nice list! A real shame Hedberg wasn't around long enough to hit his prime. I think he was just getting there. 

Only one I disagree with is Dennis Miller. Never liked him or his style. 

For years at work this was the Thursday when we had a building wide Christmas celebration. Not next week because many people take vacation near the end of the week. Everyone would bring in breakfast or lunch food, and you'd walk around to the different departments sampling it. I would bring in a crock pot of homemade chili. Any leftovers would be put out tomorrow to finish.

We have new management this year. So now the celebration has been changed to Friday from 11:30-12:30 in a large conference room in another building across the parking lot. with box lunches provided. Most people including myself are not bringing in food to carry across the parking lot for a 1 hour gathering.

WhyTF does every electrical cord come with labels stuck all over them warning me that electricity is dangerous? Does anyone really not know at this point?

Lawsuits. Some idiot thinks he/she can save time by blow-drying their hair while still in the shower and gets electrocuted. The family sues and as a result they put a label on the blow-dryer specifically stating not to use it while showering.

Lawsuits. Some idiot thinks he/she can save time by blow-drying their hair while still in the shower and gets electrocuted. The family sues and as a result they put a label on the blow-dryer specifically stating not to use it while showering.

Exactly. Lawsuits have made it so even the most obvious risks need to be disclosed ahead of time to cover the company's ass. There's a warning on my miter saw not to put your hand in direct contact with the blade - ya think?! :doh:

My complaint was that they just relocated my department from North Amherst to Cheektowaga. Much nicer and more modern office space, but just in time for yesterday's blizzard. Took me 2 hours to get home to Kenmore, where if I was at my old location it probably would have taken the normal commute time. Amazing the difference being in the snow band makes.  

Exactly. Lawsuits have made it so even the most obvious risks need to be disclosed ahead of time to cover the company's ass. There's a warning on my miter saw not to put your hand in direct contact with the blade - ya think?! :doh:

Didn't this all start with the old lady who spilled coffee on herself, then sued McDonald's for not saying it was hot?

My complaint - my company runs a holiday donation program every year (where the money is donated to local charities) and we are all encouraged - though not required - to contribute. Our goal is to have exactly 100% participation, meaning every person in every department company-wide contributes *something*, even if it's $1. My cheap, knucklehead, I-don't-care-about-anyone co-worker hasn't contributed once in his 4 years. Not a penny. Management knows this and a have actually given him $5 a couple of times so he can donate in his name so that we achieve the 100% goal. This year, we're one of the few departments (if not the only one) to not have 100% participation yet and we all know who hasn't donated. I know he's technically not required to contribute, but his lack of participation just adds to everyone's frustration with him (his work habits are another long complaint that I've discussed in the past). He has an income, so we all think he can afford $1. Am I expecting too much?

Didn't this all start with the old lady who spilled coffee on herself, then sued McDonald's for not saying it was hot?

The facts of that case are  much, much different than the way in which McDonald's instructed the media to report it  I even think we've covered it on this forum in some form in the past. 

That old lady got shafted. 

The facts of that case are much, much different than the way in which McDonald's instructed the media to report it I even think we've covered it on this forum in some form in the past.

Yea, most don't know the coffee caused third degree burns. Methinks it's not unreasonable to say there's some company liability there.

My complaint - my company runs a holiday donation program every year (where the money is donated to local charities) and we are all encouraged - though not required - to contribute. Our goal is to have exactly 100% participation, meaning every person in every department company-wide contributes *something*, even if it's $1. My cheap, knucklehead, I-don't-care-about-anyone co-worker hasn't contributed once in his 4 years. Not a penny. Management knows this and a have actually given him $5 a couple of times so he can donate in his name so that we achieve the 100% goal. This year, we're one of the few departments (if not the only one) to not have 100% participation yet and we all know who hasn't donated. I know he's technically not required to contribute, but his lack of participation just adds to everyone's frustration with him (his work habits are another long complaint that I've discussed in the past). He has an income, so we all think he can afford $1. Am I expecting too much?

It's not too much to expect him to participate and the goal is nice, I'm not sure the tracking is necessary and as a result pressure to donate is applied. For him personally it's probably a spite thing. 

The facts of that case are  much, much different than the way in which McDonald's instructed the media to report it  I even think we've covered it on this forum in some form in the past. 

Yep. That McD's was "cited" for serving the coffee too hot several times before that incident. They were serving it near boiling.

My last week at this company, and it's resulted in 3 all nighters on an impossible deadline that I've felt for a while was designed to make me look bad. I can't say I'm surprised, and I know it won't matter very soon, but it just kinda fit that this is how it ends. Well, joke's on them, I made the damn deadline and crammed 2+ weeks of work in less than 3 days. Suck it. Y'all gonna miss me. 

That and the crushing fear of unemployment starting next week. Oh man, I'm ready to be done here, but not ready for that. This isn't going to be an easy few months. 

Edited by Josie914

Yea, most don't know the coffee caused third degree burns. Methinks it's not unreasonable to say there's some company liability there.

Yep. That McD's was "cited" for serving the coffee too hot several times before that incident. They were serving it near boiling.

The kicker, of course, is that she ended up settling for well below the amount of her medical bills.  Didn't actually ever see a dime, and remained in debt.  But, you know, narrative. 

I had a complaint many years back about how my old company would have your direct manager come around during the lunch break (where the staff were all sitting together in the conference room) and peer pressure you into making donations for Ride for Roswell/MS Walk/Polar Plunge etc. I'm all for charitable donations and do so myself on my own time, but guilt tripping your employees is not the way to do it IMO.

Yeah I don't like that about Joe Rogan honestly. That and his delivery is extremely aggressive

Connolly I've never heard of, can I find him online?

Louis CK is brilliant, and I can really appreciate him and Jim Gaffigan, but I never truly laugh at their stuff.

Yeah there's a lot of Connolly online. He's definitely an acquired taste. A big part of what makes him funny is how weird he looks and sounds (to Americans, anyway). Come to think of it, this Connolly should have been SDS' default avatar.

It's not too much to expect him to participate and the goal is nice, I'm not sure the tracking is necessary and as a result pressure to donate is applied. For him personally it's probably a spite thing. 

Well, he's just been vocal about it - he's made it clear that he won't donate...unless he's given an advance. Plus, our community dept can tell who has and who hasn't donated. I guess that's the tracking, but it's also so mgmt can bully persuade people into donating.

I had a complaint many years back about how my old company would have your direct manager come around during the lunch break (where the staff were all sitting together in the conference room) and peer pressure you into making donations for Ride for Roswell/MS Walk/Polar Plunge etc. I'm all for charitable donations and do so myself on my own time, but guilt tripping your employees is not the way to do it IMO.

Agreed. I don't think our company is consciously trying to guilt-trip everyone, but I can see how it comes off that way. I just think that because it's in the spirit of helping those who are less fortunate (he even claimed once that he was one of those, yet we can't disprove that), he can give up a measly dollar.

Edited by Buffalo Wings

THIS.  I am a charitable individual who donates both cash and goods throughout the year.  I often give folks who wait at intersections $ if I happen to have cash and they do look to be in need.  But I really hate it when someone tries to guilt me into donating someplace.  The guy you're describing may well be a cheap POS, or he may be someone like Boyes or myself who resents being coerced into it just so someone else can say they met their quota.