Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Almost got t-boned by a bus this morning while driving through a light that had been green for at least a minute. For whatever reason, they don't feel the need to obey traffic lights out here. They just go whenever they want, even if cars are in the way.

The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few!

Almost got t-boned by a bus this morning while driving through a light that had been green for at least a minute. For whatever reason, they don't feel the need to obey traffic lights out here. They just go whenever they want, even if cars are in the way.

Take the bus next time. I bet you could see some crazy sh*t!

I was only in Boston briefly a couple of years ago, but it was easily the worst driving experience of my life. And that's saying something seeing as I've driven extensively in Florida, what with their senior population and all :P

Fun fact: the Ides of September is the 13th. (I think it has to do with 31 day vs. other months).

Haha -- I had a feeling as I was typing earlier that somehow that wasn't going to work, and I was right.

got denied time off for tomorrow so I could get to my sister's soccer game in Rochester by 5 (2 hrs away). Kind of sucks, but my team needs to get this presentation completed for our customer. :(

Bio, I know the feeling. of the two cats that we recently lost to Coyotes, one of them I've had since she was a kitten (7 almost 8 years), and it's been tough on me, since she used to follow me around everywhere when I was home.

We went and bought a new .22 (Savage Model 93), and really nice scope for getting the Coyotes...but still haven't seen them back down near our yard in a little over a week. we can't shoot them until October if they don't come back down onto our property :censored:

Sorry about your cats, dEnnis. :( I have such mixed feelings about the coyotes thing... on one hand, I completely sympathize with your position and would likely feel the same way were it my pet. On the other hand, I can't help but feel like the only reason coyotes and wolves end up doing this sort of thing is that we keep developing the land that used to be their territory, essentially forcing them into suburban areas. It's a lose-lose.

The slurring of the "s" in speech. The First Lady: "The shtruggle of the middle class." I don't tend to hear it in real life, just from the celebrity, political, media etc. class. If it were a legitimate speech impediment, I'd understand. I don't think it is. I think it's learned and affected. It's the thing to do, I guess.

Also, "so." Someone is asked why Obama deserves another four years, and the answer is, "So... the president inherited a mess..." I'm hearing this in the real world now.

Finally, a lot of women are starting to get the bad habit of making almost every sentence sound like a question. "So... the waiter kept ignorING us and we got realLY mad?"

Can anyone relate to my linguistic beefs?

"Well, then, we should call you 'T-Bone'"

The slurring of the "s" in speech. The First Lady: "The shtruggle of the middle class." I don't tend to hear it in real life, just from the celebrity, political, media etc. class. If it were a legitimate speech impediment, I'd understand. I don't think it is. I think it's learned and affected. It's the thing to do, I guess.

Also, "so." Someone is asked why Obama deserves another four years, and the answer is, "So... the president inherited a mess..." I'm hearing this in the real world now.

Finally, a lot of women are starting to get the bad habit of making almost every sentence sound like a question. "So... the waiter kept ignorING us and we got realLY mad?"

I don't think it's learned at all. I personally took speech therapy for a couple years when I was in grammar school, and I still slur my "s"s unintentionally. It happens.

"Well, then, we should call you 'T-Bone'"

:thumbsup:

I absolutely can, this reminds me of another annoying trend. Vocal fry.

A curious vocal pattern has crept into the speech of young adult women who speak American English: low, creaky vibrations, also called vocal fry. Pop singers, such as Britney Spears, slip vocal fry into their music as a way to reach low notes and add style. Now, a new study of young women in New York state shows that the same guttural vibration—once considered a speech disorder—has become a language fad.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/12/vocal-fry-creeping-into-us-speec.html

Sorry about your cats, dEnnis. :( I have such mixed feelings about the coyotes thing... on one hand, I completely sympathize with your position and would likely feel the same way were it my pet. On the other hand, I can't help but feel like the only reason coyotes and wolves end up doing this sort of thing is that we keep developing the land that used to be their territory, essentially forcing them into suburban areas. It's a lose-lose.

I too have mixed feelings about it, but due to the fact that they are an overpopulated species in our area, and the fact that there isn't much new development anywhere in our area, I feel less bad about this specific pack. the town says less people have been hunting them in this county (Tompkins) than usual, and more and more groups of them are popping up. We haven't seen rabbits on our road in months (even with our large garden with lettuce and other rabbit friendly vegetables that they usually terrorize), and with all of the cats missing, and hell, even the fox at the end of our road went 'missing' (I used to see him EVERY morning on my way to work, and every other evening on my run). Haven't seen the little guy in about 2 and a half weeks. At this point, they are a nuisance, and I want them gone ( as do our neighbors).

I absolutely can, this reminds me of another annoying trend. Vocal fry.

http://news.sciencem...o-us-speec.html

Vocal fry is by far the worst. I always thought that maybe I was being unreasonable by disliking girls based on whether or not I could stand hearing them talk. Then I realized it was a "thing".

As soon as a young woman opens her mouth and vocal fry comes out, I stop listening, because my brain equates that form of speech with someone who is too dumb to function.

Edited by d4rksabre

I'm taking a Redhat Enterprise Linux training class next week. From the looks of it, it's very difficult if not impossible to use an Redhat Enterprise Linux laptop to take the class as the browser plugin doesn't want to install properly. Really guys? You couldn't test the software on your own operating system?

Yes, I certainly relate. Spoken American English has taken a beating in the last couple of decades... I also have issues with written English - for a world that relies so heavily on email and text messages, I certainly see a lot of errors. I was reading some online product reviews yesterday and twice in the list of reviews for the same product I saw the word "threw" (past tense of "throw") used instead of "through" (passing across). A co-worker has twice sent out an email using the phrase "First come, first serve" (should be "served"). Don't even get me started on "to, too and two" or "lose and loose".

I know there are more pressing things in the world to be irked at, but my golfing "buddies" are not fun to play with anymore.

I went to play a practice round yesterday for a big 3-day tournament this coming weekend and two of the guys (one of which will be my partner this weekend) argued incessantly about their individual match and how much money was at stake. Literally, one guy kept changing the amounts because he was losing - he's also the type to critique your game after every shot you hit, so he won't shut the F up. This has gone on so long with these characters that I've done everything possible to avoid playing with either of them and I still can't get away from it.This took its toll so much on me and the 4th guy that we were speechless by the end of the round.

Golf is supposed to be my sanctuary where I can relax, enjoy the company, play well, have a beer or two on the course, and forget about everything else going on. I love the game and won't yet say that I'll stop playing it, but it's not fun when the knuckleheads I play with constantly whine at each other for the entire round.

Edited by Buffalo Wings

I too have mixed feelings about it, but due to the fact that they are an overpopulated species in our area, and the fact that there isn't much new development anywhere in our area, I feel less bad about this specific pack.

Next year you can complain about all the deer and other tiny creatures in your yard instead.