Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Pointless, pathetic sequels to incredible movies is my complaint. It bothers movies are made simply to grab a quick buck. Just learned today a sequel has been made to "A Christmas Story." It's one of the best Christmas movies ever made. I can't believe a direct to DVD sequel was even thought of. There are just certain movies you gotta leave alone.

Pointless, pathetic sequels to incredible movies is my complaint. It bothers movies are made simply to grab a quick buck. Just learned today a sequel has been made to "A Christmas Story." It's one of the best Christmas movies ever made. I can't believe a direct to DVD sequel was even thought of. There are just certain movies you gotta leave alone.

*cough* Taken 2 *cough*

Bump ...

Where to begin?

Firstly, I will apologize for lack of complaint in my post last Thursday.

Anyway ...

1.) The Canadian (Mens) National Football Team ... look like a quality side one night and then toss a big steaming turd 4 days later.

2.) The NHL and the NHLPA ... what a joke.

3.) The price of gas. Almost $1.40 / litre = about $5.60 / US gallon.

4.) With winter coming the price of home heating oil. When we came to NS 14 years ago it was about $0.25 / litre now it's about $1.10 / litre. Looks to be another long and cold winter ... inside the house that is.

5.) The price of coffee ...

Nuff said. Is that better, guys?

I'll second that gas one. The price at my station went up 10 cents yesterday or the day before (forget which exact day it was). They've always been one of the cheapest places around here, 5 or so cents less. I haven't noticed the prices at other places yet, so I don't know if it was just this place finally caving or not. I realize that it could easily be tied into other certain international issues, but I don't want to get into that here or else I'll be complaining even more.

Is it common practice now for employers to not respond to resume submissions in any way?

For unsolicited resumes, unless you're getting an interview, yes, it is common. Even the old "we'll keep your resume on file" letters have created liability for employers when positions were filled later, and those "resumes on file" weren't considered.

For unsolicited resumes, unless you're getting an interview, yes, it is common. Even the old "we'll keep your resume on file" letters have created liability for employers when positions were filled later, and those "resumes on file" weren't considered.

Would it kill places to take two seconds to at least send an email back acknowledging receipt? I feel like I everything I send disappears into some bottomless void.

Would it kill places to take two seconds to at least send an email back acknowledging receipt? I feel like I everything I send disappears into some bottomless void.

No it wouldn't. But it is a buyers market. I know when I was looking for a new employee about 6 months ago an add would generate hundreds of responses. Our HR dept was not going to ackowledge all those responders. The only ones acknowledged were the ones brought in for interview.

No it wouldn't. But it is a buyers market. I know when I was looking for a new employee about 6 months ago an add would generate hundreds of responses. Our HR dept was not going to ackowledge all those responders. The only ones acknowledged were the ones brought in for interview.

Aye. I just wish I knew if the time I was spending sending people resumes was going to good use.

This is very true.

On another issue, Weave. How are things going with your exchange student? I hope all is good and this will not lead to another complaint post on your part.

Aye. I just wish I knew if the time I was spending sending people resumes was going to good use.

It's not a complete waste of time, but you really should focus more on developing and tapping into your network of friends, family ... The job market is now "hidden" and usually it will take a string of 4 or 5 contacts before someone down the line will hit on something. You contact a person, who will (hopefully) contact a person, who will contact someone else, who will ...

This is very true.

On another issue, Weave. How are things going with your exchange student? I hope all is good and this will not lead to another complaint post on your part.

It is more challenging than we expected. But I guess nothing worth doing is easy, right?

He's a good kid. The adjustment for him has been difficult. We are helping him as best we can. I'm hoping he can acclimate soon because I don't know how much rope the school is going to give him. He has 5 Chinese FE classmates in their first year here who are adjusting much better than he is, He's not acting out or anything. We are all having a difficult time getting him to come out of his protective shell and communicate. It is getting alot better at home but school communication and socialization is problematic right now.

It's not a complete waste of time, but you really should focus more on developing and tapping into your network of friends, family ... The job market is now "hidden" and usually it will take a string of 4 or 5 contacts before someone down the line will hit on something. You contact a person, who will (hopefully) contact a person, who will contact someone else, who will ...

I've been pulling some strings but most of them come up as dead ends. Either all I can get is minimum wage work, or I never hear back from places my friends pass my resume to.

It wasn't this hard to get a job two summers ago.

Personalize the hell out of it. When I was looking two years ago I sent out very vanilla messages that went along with the resume. It was definitely a mostly half-assed search, but then as I got more serious, I wound up attaching a much more detailed and specific cover letter with each one. That generated a lot of phone calls. If there's nothing to catch their eye before even seeing the resume, they more than likely send it to the trash almost immediately.

Personalize the hell out of it. When I was looking two years ago I sent out very vanilla messages that went along with the resume. It was definitely a mostly half-assed search, but then as I got more serious, I wound up attaching a much more detailed and specific cover letter with each one. That generated a lot of phone calls. If there's nothing to catch their eye before even seeing the resume, they more than likely send it to the trash almost immediately.

I've been doing that. My resume doesn't speak loudly since my work history is spotty (my last four jobs have all been at the same place, they bring me back every year or so as a temp. Not this year though, since their business is doing poorly.) I'm trying to find something better than warehouse work, but apparently having a Bachelor's and most of a Master's doesn't count for much.

So my resume hinges on my cover letter, especially for jobs I'm not qualified for but think I can do. Perhaps it's my own fault for setting the bar high, but I need to move forward, not back.

I've been pulling some strings but most of them come up as dead ends. Either all I can get is minimum wage work, or I never hear back from places my friends pass my resume to.

It wasn't this hard to get a job two summers ago.

Why don't you start by telling us all what you're looking for? Someone might know someone.

Why don't you start by telling us all what you're looking for? Someone might know someone.

Various things.

My career path is in crime analysis. There wasn't much in entry level when I graduated with my Bachelor's in criminal justice in 2010. So I went for my Master's in the same field. It's been an exercise in frustration for a number of reasons I'd rather not get into. Regardless, there are more entry level CA jobs now than there were two years ago, so I'm applying for those. I expect slower but better progress on that front.

In the meantime I need something to pay the bills. My only work experience is in a warehouse building crates and driving forklifts. I always got paid too well at that job. I'm trying to steer myself away from blue collar work like that so that my work history will look better. I want something that will allow me to make use of my writing skills, my adaptability, my creative personality and my tech background (it's no secret I'm a gear head and was an engineering student for three years).

Basically I want to work a day job that will let me use my head and maybe let me learn a new skill. Unfortunately companies seem able to hire people who are overqualified rather than those who are brimming with potential.

Edited by d4rksabre

Basically I want to work a day job that will let me use my head and maybe let me learn a new skill. Unfortunately companies seem able to hire people who are overqualified rather than those who are brimming with potential.

See, that's the opposite problem from my mom. She's a computer programmer (COBOL) whose been out of work for over 2 years now. She's tried learning some of the new languages, but can't get the hang of it. So, she's trying to get any job she possibly can. Now she lives with me (lost her house), has no savings (spent it all trying to save her house) and her unemployment ran out in March, so she's on my dime. She has applied EVERYWHERE. Minimum wage included. Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target, you name it.... nothing.

Yesterday she had a 3 hour interview for a job through a staffing agency for data entry work at $11/hour. 35 people showed up in a group interview format. 33 were hired on the spot. She was one of the unlucky two. Why? Overqualified. She has some limitations with physical labor (she's 59), but is willing to do anything, and no one will give her a job.

Edited by ChileanSeaBass

See, that's the opposite problem from my mom. She's a computer programmer (COBOL) whose been out of work for over 2 years now. She's tried learning some of the new languages, but can't get the hang of it. So, she's trying to get any job she possibly can. Now she lives with me (lost her house), has no savings (spent it all trying to save her house) and her unemployment ran out in March, so she's on my dime. She has applied EVERYWHERE. Minimum wage included. Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target, you name it.... nothing.

Yesterday she had a 3 hour interview for a job through a staffing agency for data entry work at $11/hour. 35 people showed up in a group interview format. 33 were hired on the spot. She was one of the unlucky two. Why? Overqualified. She has some limitations with physical labor (she's 59), but is willing to do anything, and no one will give her a job.

My dad just started his second career back in June after working at the same company as its VP for about 30 years. He's dealing with the same problem of trying to learn new systems at 59 years old. Fortunately the company basically made a position for him due to his being overqualified. But I won't deny that he got lucky that someone was willing to take a chance on him at his age.