Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I hate it when beer ref leagues don't even know how to drop the puck for a faceoff. Last night this guy threw one down to the ice so hard in our defensive zone that it bounced directly to the other team in the slot for a one timer GWG. It was horrendous.

The apathy and arrogance of the refs in my league is really making this Summer season no fun. We actually had a ref texting during play.

my sister in law is suicidal. i don't mean that in some colloquial throw-around term; i mean she is literally thinking of ending her life. right now, she's sleeping on my parents in law's couch.

that's not my complaint. my complaint is how she's constantly treated by her "friends." all of them are back-stabbing, duplicitous snots that, if i had more time to hang out with my SIL, would get an earful and a good case of the b****-slaps. she used to be this sweet, charming girl. her current friends are these self-righteous, entitlement mentality jerks who pretend to be nice to her in front of her ... only to turn around and sh** on her every chance they get. and she keeps taking them back because she has no self esteem any more because of her f***ed up ex-husband, who long ago stripped her of any sense of self worth.

no--my complaint is how some people in society have no regard for peoples feelings. my sister in law just turned 30, and most of her friends are around the same age. how does one decide at the tender age of about 30 to sh** on one person "because it's funny"?! we complain about gun laws and pro/con gay marriage issues ... screw all of that. if we can't decide as human beings to step up and say "enough is enough. may we *please* start treating people with common dignity and respect?", then we have no business handling other issues that are only off-shoots of this one constant, original problem--treating people with decency and kindness.

Bolded for truth.

As for your SIL situation, I got nuthin. Hang tough man. And only worry about the things you can control.

The apathy and arrogance of the refs in my league is really making this Summer season no fun. We actually had a ref texting during play.

You want another good one? The other team's goalie was about 10 minutes late for the game last night. To cover that, they always give that team a delay of game penalty to start the game. The ref didn't like that, so in order to make it up to them, he just threw the opening faceoff directly to their defenseman. And I'm not talking about a poorly dropped puck, he underhand tossed the puck to the other team. I still have no idea what the hell that was all about.

My fiancé works with the mentally handicapped. She heads up a house that takes care of 3 men. Ted is one of her residents. Ted is a real sweetheart to my fiancé because she actually cares for him, unlike everyone else working at that house who is just there for a paycheck.

A couple weeks ago she arrives to work at 7am to find Ted moaning painfully in his wheelchair complaining about his foot hurting. Turns out he accidentally pulled his TV off its stand onto his foot the night before and was put to bed without anyone checking him over, despite him complaining of pain in his foot. So he was put to bed suffering with a broken foot and no one found out until my girlfriend arrived the next morning. Strike 1.

Today she again calls me from the hospital. Ted has a broken clavicle and his shoulder is popped out of place. He's being taken into surgery now and the only thing he had to say was the name of the employee who did it to him. Strikes 2&3. I hope this person gets so much more than fired. What kind of person takes out their frustrations on the utterly helpless. What a ###### ######. Sorry, I couldn't come up with something more articulate than ###### ######, but I'm pretty upset right now.

Now a little lighter complaint. I'm going to get denied a promotion next week when I already have it in the bag. This promotion is mine and I cant take it because i cant change shifts. My fiance works 7am til 3pm and i work 7pm-3am. It works out perfectly for someone to be home with our son at all times. I cant take the promotion because it will be on grave shift 3am-11am, and that leaves no one to watch our son, or put him on the bus in the morning. Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to wait a couple more months.

However; brightside!

Currently i have been out of my hockey league for the last 3 sessions because when i got my last promotion my days off changed from Sunday-Monday to Wednesday-Thursday. Now, promotion or not, I'm going to be getting my Sunday-Mondays back and I'll be back in my league!

Edited by ubkev

You want another good one? The other team's goalie was about 10 minutes late for the game last night. To cover that, they always give that team a delay of game penalty to start the game. The ref didn't like that, so in order to make it up to them, he just threw the opening faceoff directly to their defenseman. And I'm not talking about a poorly dropped puck, he underhand tossed the puck to the other team. I still have no idea what the hell that was all about.

Every ref is an insecure douche or an idiot,.. every one.

Last night, three times he dropped the puck before our center got to the dot. I figure it was a 10:30 game and he wanted to move it along,.. douchy, but whatever. In the third. he dropped the puck, we won it and were heading into their zone and he blows the whistle to stop play. He says the other team didn't have a winger and they weren't ready. :blink:

On tuesday, I saw a guy on the other team punch one of our guys so hard that his helmet went flying from the goal line to the top of the circle. He got a game misconduct. But it happened after the final whistle. So his total time missing from the ice - 0 seconds. :blink:

These rinks just don't care as long as the get their money.

And if there are any refs on this board that I've offended, I'm sorry,..

that you're an insecure douche or and idiot. Blame God or your parents, not me.

My fiancé works with the mentally handicapped. She heads up a house that takes care of 3 men. Ted is one of her residents. Ted is a real sweetheart to my fiancé because she actually cares for him, unlike everyone else working at that house who is just there for a paycheck.

A couple weeks ago she arrives to work at 7am to find Ted moaning painfully in his wheelchair complaining about his foot hurting. Turns out he accidentally pulled his TV off its stand onto his foot the night before and was put to bed without anyone checking him over. So he was put to bed with a broken foot and no one fount out until my girlfriend arrived the next morning. Strike 1.

Today she again calls me from the hospital. Ted has a broken clavicle and his shoulder is popped out of place. He's being taken into surgery now and the only thing he had to say was the name of the employee who did it to him. Strikes 2&3. I hope this person gets so much more than fired. What kind of person takes out their frustrations on the utterly helpless. What a ###### ######. Sorry, I couldn't come up with something more articulate than ###### ######, but I'm pretty upset right now.

Will edit for spelling mistakes in a few, I gotta go cool down.

That person needs to not only be fired, but charged criminally.

Edited by SwampD

I love that song. Between that and "The Garden," I think they've managed to encapsulate the reason for human existence.

We've talked to her ad infinitum about moving, finding new friends, ditching them ... she just can't do it on her own. And as an adult, we really can't do anything other than support her. Doesn't mean we have to like or agree with her choices, but we can be supportive of her. It just irks me cuz she was always so sweet and bright, happy ... now she's just this shell. You can literally see just how dead she is inside. It pains us to watch her go through this time and time again, but ultimately, it's her choice. We've offered to let her stay with us with the understanding that it's a place to crash rent-free, with no parties, no guests ... a bed, pillow, clean towels and rags, and unlimited food and use of laundry machines. She's never taken us up on it. Probably because of the "no parties" rule. Sorry, but I have two little girls who I'm not going to subject to that kind of lifestyle. Not with drugs, alcohol and what-not.

Grah. What can we do but keep on loving her and supporting her?

Having experienced a similar situation (not family, but close friend), that's about it. Just keep reminding her that there's people there for her, who love her and want her to live a long happy life, and so on. Not necessarily explicitly, of course...but invites to dinner, or a movie, or an event, just little things to make her feel wanted or try to rebuild some shred of self-esteem. There's no guarantees since it's ultimately on her to pick herself up and start making changes, but just keep being there and hopefully things work out.

Our refs aren't too too bad. Semi-douchy at times, they will throw a faceoff to the D-men every now and then, but generally its pretty fair. But that may be because the general BAC of the majority of my league is pushing .12 by the time we all step on the ice. But that will happen when your playing with ex AHL and some ex NHLers. They gotta be tanked or its not fair for the rest of us who never made it.

Edited by ubkev

It's that time of year again, performance reviews. Having been in the corporate world for over a decade now I've learned to just grit my teeth and get them over with quickly. I've always known that they mean less than nothing in determining whether I get a decent raise or promotion, but now they've made known a new policy that is just beyond ridiculous. It's now been mandated from corporate that each site has to make their ratings fit a bell curve. In other words, on a 1-5 rating scale the majority of people will be forced into a 3 rating while a select few will receive 4 or 5 and others will be forced into the lower rankings. This is a place filled with scientists and engineers, so everyone realizes that this practice is nuts and runs completely counterintuitive to what the performance review process is supposed to foster in the first place. But we do it anyway. Personally, I've had a fantastic year, but I know there is basically no chance that I get anything higher than a 3, and along with it the standard miniscule raise and bonus. Idiots.

95° F today here I am complaining already because it's over on Saturday... I am loving the summer

95 in Berlin is newsworthy. 95 in Mid Atlantic is SSDD. The 80-90 percent humidity with the 90 though is the real killer. Today 102 and 85%. Ugh..

95 in Berlin is newsworthy. 95 in Mid Atlantic is SSDD. The 80-90 percent humidity with the 90 though is the real killer. Today 102 and 85%. Ugh..

yeah :D

although there wasn't even a breeze today... that's what makes it hard sometimes...whatever perfect weather to attend the beach-dodgeball world championship tomorrow :D

It's that time of year again, performance reviews. Having been in the corporate world for over a decade now I've learned to just grit my teeth and get them over with quickly. I've always known that they mean less than nothing in determining whether I get a decent raise or promotion, but now they've made known a new policy that is just beyond ridiculous. It's now been mandated from corporate that each site has to make their ratings fit a bell curve. In other words, on a 1-5 rating scale the majority of people will be forced into a 3 rating while a select few will receive 4 or 5 and others will be forced into the lower rankings. This is a place filled with scientists and engineers, so everyone realizes that this practice is nuts and runs completely counterintuitive to what the performance review process is supposed to foster in the first place. But we do it anyway. Personally, I've had a fantastic year, but I know there is basically no chance that I get anything higher than a 3, and along with it the standard miniscule raise and bonus. Idiots.

So I'm reading an article right now on how Microsoft fell behind in innovation, and one of the key things mentioned is the bell curve, and I immediately thought of this complaint! Here's an excerpt:

At the center of the cultural problems was a management system called “stack ranking.” Every current and former Microsoft employee I interviewed—every one—cited stack ranking as the most destructive process inside of Microsoft, something that drove out untold numbers of employees. The system—also referred to as “the performance model,” “the bell curve,” or just “the employee review”—has, with certain variations over the years, worked like this: every unit was forced to declare a certain percentage of employees as top performers, then good performers, then average, then below average, then poor.

The rest of the article can be found here: http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2012/08/microsoft-lost-mojo-steve-ballmer

Is there a 100 year plan in place in terms of road construction on I90 in and around Erie? I only go through there once or twice a year, and going back 15-20 years, it seems like there is always construction either east or west bound, and usually the kind that causes gridlock. :angry:

Is there a 100 year plan in place in terms of road construction on I90 in and around Erie? I only go through there once or twice a year, and going back 15-20 years, it seems like there is always construction either east or west bound, and usually the kind that causes gridlock. :angry:

The Google Maps app with Traffic has been a godsend when it comes to avoiding traffic jams on the thruway and major highways. If there's one thing I hate, it's gridlock in the middle of the summer in a truck with leather seats and no AC. If I see yellow or red blinking away I make sure to find myself a way around.

Are you signed up for NYSTA email alerts? You can set the range along the thruway you want to receive notifications for and it'll alert you of slow traffic, construction, closures, accidents etc.

So I'm reading an article right now on how Microsoft fell behind in innovation, and one of the key things mentioned is the bell curve, and I immediately thought of this complaint! Here's an excerpt:

[/font][/color]

The rest of the article can be found here: http://www.vanityfai...o-steve-ballmer

So I've had to wait a week to publicly thank you for sharing this. So much in that article hits way too close to home. Companies that are supposed to be innovative simply cannot be under this type of leadership. But what the hell do I know? I do know that corporate bureaucracy sucks. I just need to get the hell out and open up a damn brewery already.

[/font][/color]

The rest of the article can be found here: http://www.vanityfai...o-steve-ballmer

We run ito the exact same issue in my company. The concept itself falls apart when they force it down to the micro-level. If you're in a group of high-performers, you're all hosed. And if you're the person keeping your group respectable, you basically end up busting your but for that extra 1%, while your cowrokers either take up valuable oxygen, or are smart enough to realize that quality of life is more important.

Either way, it's created a culture of where your true top 20% employees jump to other divisions/groups every two years as it's the only way to make strides financially. I

Does every new sitcom have to have a narrator? Can't we just be told a good story and figure out the subtext for ourselves? Oh, and gay characters, as well. I'm just tired of seeing them.

The Narrators and Actors who play Gay Characters Local 469 must be a really strong union.

Was told two weeks ago that my thesis board could meet with me in two weeks (next week). Now I'm being told it will be another two weeks before they'll be able to meet with me.

Two Four Six Eight/

I'll never graduate at this rate.

What they're trying to tell you is don't bother until the semester starts and they have to be in town.