Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

25 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

in our neighborhood, we have had someone stealing things out of people's cars at night.  hasn't been breaking into cars, but, has been taking advantage of people who have forgot to lock their doors.  we have a facebook group in our neighborhood and a few neighbors mentioned finding their car doors open in the morning and things missing.  i have a Nest doorbell with camera and decided to go through that notifications from that night and saw the person walk up my driveway, check the doors on my car and then walk away because i lock them every night.  anyway, i called the non-emergency line sheriff's office and told them about it and how several neighbors reported missing items from their cars.  he asked if i had anything stolen and i said no, but, i have a video clip of the culprit and asked if they would like to have it and he asked if you could clearly see the person's face, which i said no, and he said well there's nothing we can do about it then.

A year or two ago my town sent out an email to warn people about someone doing this stuff.  The email listed the things that had been stolen.  That list included two cars that were left unlocked overnight with the keys inside!  That had to have been one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.  I'd imagine they were keyless starters, but even with that, I don't understand how people can be so incredibly stupid... then again, I've been posting here for 10+ years.?

I never lock my car at night.

I also don't keep anything in there worth stealing and I'd rather not have someone smash my window in order to find that out.

I'm sitting in an urgent care waiting room with a broken (severely sprained) foot. Fun fun fun.

21 minutes ago, shrader said:

A year or two ago my town sent out an email to warn people about someone doing this stuff.  The email listed the things that had been stolen.  That list included two cars that were left unlocked overnight with the keys inside!  That had to have been one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.  I'd imagine they were keyless starters, but even with that, I don't understand how people can be so incredibly stupid... then again, I've been posting here for 10+ years.?

You'd be amazed, or perhaps not, at the litany of stuff people leave in cars, locked or not, that then get stolen.  Firearms, wallets and purses, phones, laptops and other electronics, jewelry, you name it.  People need to stop treating cars like storage lockers/closets. 

27 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I never lock my car at night.

I also don't keep anything in there worth stealing and I'd rather not have someone smash my window in order to find that out.

I'm sitting in an urgent care waiting room with a broken (severely sprained) foot. Fun fun fun.

I blame myself for this. Sorry man.

I wanted to get more exercise, so I joined an adult rec soccer league with some friends.  With about 3 minutes left in our first game Tuesday night, I tore the plantar fascia ligament in my left foot.  Four to six weeks on the sidelines, and the season is only four weeks long.

Edited by chileanseabass
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

You'd be amazed, or perhaps not, at the litany of stuff people leave in cars, locked or not, that then get stolen.  Firearms, wallets and purses, phones, laptops and other electronics, jewelry, you name it.  People need to stop treating cars like storage lockers/closets. 

When I first moved into my neighborhood, a guy on Nextdoor was complaining that a gun was stolen out of his car overnight. 

A GUN. 

Moron.  You just don't leave a gun in your car.  What were you thinking?

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

Yeah, I see "a gun in my car was stolen" and it kind of reads like "one of the guns in my car".

The simple fact is that more guns get stolen in Texas than any other state. So I just assume people leave guns laying around unsecured everywhere in Texas.

28 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

When I first moved into my neighborhood, a guy on Nextdoor was complaining that a gun was stolen out of his car overnight. 

A GUN. 

Moron.  You just don't leave a gun in your car.  What were you thinking?

It happens Every. Single. Day.  

Have an idiot ex co-worker (read: friend) who keeps 3 guns in strategic locations around his SUV, and 2 guns in each of his car and truck. Yup, he's one of those. Completely delusional.

Have another who had his hydro dipped (with skulls, of course!) AR- stolen out of his Jeep. He reported it to the cops of course and guess what?! They found the f'n thing! After 4 years! And it had only been used in 1 murder....and they gave it back to him!

Both stores are 100% true.

36 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Have an idiot ex co-worker (read: friend) who keeps 3 guns in strategic locations around his SUV, and 2 guns in each of his car and truck. Yup, he's one of those. Completely delusional.

Have another who had his hydro dipped (with skulls, of course!) AR- stolen out of his Jeep. He reported it to the cops of course and guess what?! They found the f'n thing! After 4 years! And it had only been used in 1 murder....and they gave it back to him!

Both stores are 100% true.

I think the way to solve the gun problem is to make gun owners financially responsible for the consequences of their guns.  That would make everyone get gun liability insurance so (1) the negative impacts of their guns getting away from them would be covered financially, and (2) there would be an ongoing financial disincentive from owning too many guns.

I'm sure gun owners would be cool with that, since that crowd is so into personal responsibility and all that.

I'm (tentatively) planning on retiring next April.  Right now, I have about 8 weeks of combined vacation, personal and holiday time to use up in the next 7 months.  I scheduled next week off, no firm travel plans, just a week kicking around at home. (Well, maybe I'll take a day trip or two).  Anyway, as it always seems to happen, the week before I am to take off suddenly the dam breaks at work.  Computers throwing errors, people needing me do do little stuff that has been sitting around all summer, etc.  It never freaking fails.  (Plus, I anticipate that when I get back from vacation that there will be an S-load of work waiting for me.) That's the main reason I have two months of time off saved up; I have to work twice as hard the week before and the week after my vacation).  I can't wait to see what happens when I retire...  ?

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think the way to solve the gun problem is to make gun owners financially responsible for the consequences of their guns.  That would make everyone get gun liability insurance so (1) the negative impacts of their guns getting away from them would be covered financially, and (2) there would be an ongoing financial disincentive from owning too many guns.

I'm sure gun owners would be cool with that, since that crowd is so into personal responsibility and all that.

Just financially? Make it criminally too and we're talking. You "lose" your gun, it's on you. You'd have to have some process for reporting it stolen, perhaps with fines if you gun is used in a crime. Make it painful to be careless with weapons.

Battery died on one my cars, most of my tools are up in the House in Massachusetts not in apt in NY.  Had to run around getting a socket to fit nut to take out battery, then take battery in to get another one... then dropped a nut off bracket somewhere.... luckily found one that fit in my miscellaneous can... 2 hours later finally got car running... for an fin battery...