Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

I feel like I'll be able to live with a mortgage as long as I can put enough money down to not be handcuffed if I have to turn around and sell it. It's also, in theory, an appreciating investment, unlike a car. I've been paying rent for so long that I know what numbers will work for me when the time comes to buy a house. I'm certainly not ready for that yet, but I know what will feel right. 

Unexpected car repairs don't really bother me if I can afford them and the car is worth fixing. I think I prefer the gamble because at least then if nothing happens I haven't spent a bunch of money for no reason. Sometimes I think too much about things like "what if I want to take a roadtrip, I'll have to rent a more reliable car", but then I remember that renting a car for a week is mad cheap compared to the added insurance, interest on a loan, etc. 

In theory it's an appreciating asset.  Additionally the Buffalo/Rochester housing markets are insulated.  They don't fluctuate as greatly as other markets.  However, the housing industry has been on an pretty steady increase over the past 9 years or so.  The predictions are for it to drop again soon, potentially fairly dramatically.  Rising interest rates are a big part of that as the higher the rate the less house you can afford and as such the value of a house goes down (or it goes unsold).  Of course the thing about houses is that they require constant maintenance.  So, while your asset may appreciate, the cost to maintain it to that level of appreciation should be considered.  You'll understand that the first time you pay for a new roof.  Ugh.

I understand where you are coming from though.

3 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

She left this on the kitchen table in play-doh.  Dusty in here... 

8FA87765-0C78-41D8-B9E1-91F95E7F1ED5.jpeg

Did you blow any of that dust over here?

3 hours ago, shrader said:

For the first time ever, I just thought about how much money would be saved if a home loan had 0% interest.  My day is now ruined.

ummm.. sorry.

3 hours ago, josie said:

At least with the home loan, you and I would be paying into it together. Your car's just you. 

I don't miss my big monthly lease payment. But I admit it never bothered me when I had it. It was like rent and taxes- has to get paid. 

Leasing is such a devil deal.  I'd never do it.  I had to deal with a lease once (my in-laws gift to my wife as a college present was a leased car).  Situation dictated she had to blow through the miles.  So I had to buy the car at the end... basically paying waaaaay too much for a really crappy car.

5 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Played hockey Sunday and was on the losing end of a hard collision by the crease. 3 fractured ribs and a bruised lung. It hurts just to breathe. Been sleeping in a recliner because it hurts too much to lie down. Will take 1-2 months to heal.

Broke two ribs doing something really stupid 10 years ago.  It'll take 1-2 months to heal, but it will hurt every time you laugh or cough hard for another 6 months past that.  I had twinges of pain up to 1 year after I broke them.

Get used to that recliner for a bit.  Laying downa nd stretching your rib cage will be excruciating for a while.

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Broken ribs never heal, you just get used to the pain.  Then about a year later you realize it doesn't hurt anymore.

Some truthiness here.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

In theory it's an appreciating asset.  Additionally the Buffalo/Rochester housing markets are insulated.  They don't fluctuate as greatly as other markets.  However, the housing industry has been on an pretty steady increase over the past 9 years or so.  The predictions are for it to drop again soon, potentially fairly dramatically.  Rising interest rates are a big part of that as the higher the rate the less house you can afford and as such the value of a house goes down (or it goes unsold).  Of course the thing about houses is that they require constant maintenance.  So, while your asset may appreciate, the cost to maintain it to that level of appreciation should be considered.  You'll understand that the first time you pay for a new roof.  Ugh.

Fun fact: if you punch the amount my parents' house cost in 1978 into an inflation calculator, you get a number similar to what it would sell for today. Essentially, it didn't appreciate. If you took that same money, and put it into an interest calculator at 7% for 40 years (average market return), you get a number nearly 4 times larger. Granted, my parents didn't pay cash so it's not a completely fair comparison, but I'd bet they'd have been paying out less per month in rent the entire time than the mortgage.

Houses are like kids; don't have them because you think you should, have them because you want to sink all your time and money into them. ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Direct TV sucks!  If they didn't have the monopoly on NFL Sunday Ticket, I might research options.  Recorded shows randomly disappear from the recording list.  They've known about it for months but a couple of software updates later and it's still happening.

Last week my credit card got stolen. My temp registration for my car is almost up, and neither the new registration nor my replacement card are here yet. 

Throw in some mild food poisoning, never ending deadlines, and now a cold... and I'm really believing in this "planets in retrograde" stuff. Stupid. 

46 minutes ago, ubkev said:

The ventilation and plumbing in one of the bathrooms at work is just terrible! It permanently smells like stale, hot piss. It's just gross.

We had a fire yesterday and had to evacuate.  12 storeys.  I guess I was able to skip squats last night though.

Oh just my inability to say no to work. I've been trying. I've been giving work to friends who need clients.

But I'm still just ruining my quality of life for the sake of not letting others down/making money. It's like my grandma being a hoarder because of the Depression, saving everything because she "might need it someday"...but I'm that way with freelance.

My current pile is: A 6-10 hour project, 5 multimedia ready images with an annoying client, and 35 portraits by next Thursday. All of this is ASAP rush work.

The portraits- I've been doing about 10-12 a week, which hasn't been easy... Throw in 8-11 hours of my other two jobs every day and woo... I'm going to earn my vacation next month. 

Each of these takes 30-45 minutes. If any of y'all are looking to support the Democrats this voting season, check out flippable.org, and you'll see my art floating around. 

Lord help me, I can't even drink coffee to get through it all.... 

Dlz_w9tXcAcRIVX.jpg

So, I have the obvious one.

Related ... family BS.

My friends children ... a boy (20) who is very quicly becoming a man and a daughter (almost 18) are dealing with the passing of their father, which is horrific.  They identified their father's body from photos sent by the CDC and the NYC Medical Examiner.  I can't imagine what that was like for them.  They are going to NYC to claim the body (their mother is ... well, lets just say is no help at all).  No Will has been found and no one has presented one, so no one really knows who is in charge yet, but something has to be done.

His children live in Montreal and want him buried there, which is good, I think.

My friend has a brother in the US and extended family in Senegal.  They want his body returned to Africa for burial.

Those poor kids.  What a nightmare.

• Sad 1

RosePie's annual doctor check-up this morning. Besides having her gets shots and screaming, they had us in the Flyers room. Ugh. Fat-head posters of Ghostbear, Flyers logos everywhere, orange walls. At least there's some amusement that the Sixers room is the bathroom.

27 minutes ago, N S said:

So, I have the obvious one.

Related ... family BS.

My friends children ... a boy (20) who is very quicly becoming a man and a daughter (almost 18) are dealing with the passing of their father, which is horrific.  They identified their father's body from photos sent by the CDC and the NYC Medical Examiner.  I can't imagine what that was like for them.  They are going to NYC to claim the body (their mother is ... well, lets just say is no help at all).  No Will has been found and no one has presented one, so no one really knows who is in charge yet, but something has to be done.

His children live in Montreal and want him buried there, which is good, I think.

My friend has a brother in the US and extended family in Senegal.  They want his body returned to Africa for burial.

Those poor kids.  What a nightmare.

This is horrible.  Where did he die?  And where did he live before he died?

51 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is horrible.  Where did he die?  And where did he live before he died?

He died on a flight from Dakar to New York.  He had a connection to Montreal from NYC.  No flight was arranged, apparently, from Montreal to Halifax.  

He lived in Halifax.

Mild complaint, but my laptop AC adapter cord started displaying signs of deterioration 15 days ago, so I placed an order for a new one. It lasted 9 more days, but I've been without a laptop for almost a week now, and the new one is still nowhere to be seen. It's 2018, how long can it possibly take to ship a 1-pound package consisting of a cord from any corner of this planet 

4 minutes ago, N S said:

He died on a flight from Dakar to New York.  He had a connection to Montreal from NYC.  No flight was arranged, apparently, from Montreal to Halifax.  

He lived in Halifax.

Ok let me ask for recommendations in Halifax.  His children are going to need an estates attorney.