Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

21 minutes ago, Weave said:

Get well, Derrico.  Hopefully this shall pass. 

Dark, regarding used cars.  YDIW.  I don't know how you are picking what you are picking, but YDIW.

I worked in the auto industry for 25 years.  Worked for tier 1 suppliers and directly with the largest automaker in the world.  I've always had an employee discount or supplier discount available to me.  And I've never owned a new car.  Never.  And it's been a couple of decades since my vehicle has stranded me or failed in a way that soured me on the vehicle.

I have awful luck. 

40 minutes ago, Weave said:

Dark, regarding used cars.  YDIW.  I don't know how you are picking what you are picking, but YDIW.

I worked in the auto industry for 25 years.  Worked for tier 1 suppliers and directly with the largest automaker in the world.  I've always had an employee discount or supplier discount available to me.  And I've never owned a new car.  Never.  And it's been a couple of decades since my vehicle has stranded me or failed in a way that soured me on the vehicle.

I have no relevant professional experience, but I am firmly into middle age and have never owned a new car either.  I've had sub-optimal results twice -- both times when buying high-mileage cars from family members -- but excellent results when buying low-mileage cars from third parties (twice from dealers, once from a friend and once from a private seller via a used car publication).

I am curious:  what is your general approach when buying a used car?  Dealer or private seller?  Mileage limit?  Flexibility as to make/model?  Other criteria?

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

My question is what are people budgeting? Because I can't help but feel like my budget is part of the problem.

Bought two used cars. 2003 GM Envoy for 6k, and a 2004 Escape for 5k. Neither had any major issues

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Old used cars like that are more my bag for sure. I've had much better luck with old used cars. 

Old used cars in the time range you've often waxed poetic about are in the era of reliability problems.  Stop buying 1995 old man vehicles.

Here's my complaint.

Darkness.

I wake up and drive to work in the dark.  I drive home from work in the dark.  I hate the Winter time change.  At least two weeks ago I had sun in my eyes on the way home.  Now I have high beam headlights in my eyes on the way home.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Here's my complaint.

Darkness.

I wake up and drive to work in the dark.  I drive home from work in the dark.  I hate the Winter time change.  At least two weeks ago I had sun in my eyes on the way home.  Now I have high beam headlights in my eyes on the way home.

Same. For years my primary motivation for moving down south was longer days during the winter. It was only recently I found out that daylight savings time doesn't exactly work like that

15 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Old used cars like that are more my bag for sure. I've had much better luck with old used cars. 

93 Supra - best car ever! Flipped and cartwheeled it

05 Rav 4 L stick - loved it! Got it 3 years used. Ended up putting a clutch in it, but what do you want, I drove it like the Supra.

07 VW Jetta - Das auto. Excellent little grocery getter.

07 Infiniti G35 - just about to hit 100k. I'll probably hang on to this one for a couple more years if I can. 

Never owned a new vehicle. And to be perfectly honest, I've had amazing luck with cars. 

22 minutes ago, Weave said:

Old used cars in the time range you've often waxed poetic about are in the era of reliability problems.  Stop buying 1995 old man vehicles.

Here's my complaint.

Darkness.

They're the only ones that haven't screwed me! 

If you set the bar low you won't be disappointed.

Not sure what to start with or order of suckage, so bullet points it is.

• My daughter got accepted to a residential program. Actually a center within the program for the state's most behavioral kids. What can I say, she's an over-acheiver.
  • She was supposed to be admitted last week, but someone got MRSA and they had to shut it down and bring in the CDC.
  • It was then supposed to be today, but as we were bringing her home from her last day of school yesterday, we got a call saying they had to postpone it again until Monday. Staffing issue. What?
  • Already said goodbye, twice, to her school and support workers and none are available to help us until then.
  • Had to scramble a third time to take even more days off from work with no confidence it's even going to happen.
  • It was a staffing issue due to injury. That's a little disconcerting. And what if she was already there?
  • Even though everyone we say goodbye to tells us that we have done an amazing job, it still feels like we are punting.
  • Gonna be real quiet around here.

Back to the game.

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, Derrico said:

I’ve been diagnosed with a serious health issue. Would like to keep details private but having a tough time right now.  I’ve been posting less as life is taking precedence.  Enjoy life and health and don’t sweat the small stuff.  Hopefully with time things will improve for me.  I love this corner of our internet and will still be popping in from time to time for a welcomed distraction.  

Holy sh*t.  Get well, man.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Weave said:

Get well, Derrico.  Hopefully this shall pass. 

Yeah Dark - sorry bud but I think you are just picking the wrong ones and getting unlucky.

I've rode the all used car purchase train for a while and while I have had maintenance & repairs as expected, none of them were expensive enough where I thought I was getting hosed. Seeing how much new cars cost compared to the worth I attribute to them, I will take a few wheel bearings, brake & rotor and various sensor repairs and still come out ahead.

My 2005 Ford Five Hundred did end up needing a new transmission after ~140k miles, so I sold it rather than pay thousands to fix it - but I already had gotten 4 years of use out of it.

Other cars were 1999 Ford Explorer, 2007 Pontiac G6 and current 2009 Subaru Impreza

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

It's after 5:00 PM here in Halifax.  Sunset prayers have been logged.  I am closing my office for the day.

I'm not going to bother complaining at this point.

Surprised you're 40m ahead of where I work in time (Rochester)

With all the stuff in my family life, my will/ability to do freelance every night after 1-2 other jobs has completely fallen off a cliff. I'm a walking excuse machine now. I feel like I'm slogging... and the holidays are coming... and everyone needs things... and I'm just letting everyone down.