Lindy Ruff, reintroductory press conference 1pm, 4/23/2024

LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

We don’t know the timeframe for the interviews.  He could have started the interviews in the aftermath of the “Fire Granato” chants but chose to not make a change until after the season.

Sure.  But that is not what Adams says.  He said it again today - He was on it immediately after the Press Conference, he made it seem like he was just getting on it.  Maybe that was to protect Granato a bit.  

What I really think is that Adams was on the Lindy track for months, and maybe not so much for the other vet coaches.   

I am fine with Lindy, he is certainly qualified, he is a life long learner, he is accomplished,  and he deserves respect.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Brown nosers, all.

… to Merriam –Webster is from the implication that servility is equivalent to having one's nose in the ***** of the person from whom advancement is sought …

17 minutes ago, ... said:

It sounded to me like Lindy implied that Adams was in contact with him not long after Lindy was fired, caught the potential error and corrected it by adding something like "and after losing their (the Sabres') head coach...".

I caught that too.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Somehow George Costanza's clothes fit better here in 1989 than Kevyn Adams suit fits at a planned press conference to introduce a hire he made. 

Everytime I see Adams in the teams Embedded videos he reminds me of a kid pretending to be an adult in his dads suite. 

IMG_3287.webp

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I mean the reasons why are obvious, but I thought Lindy came across as kinda old.

Not as quick, not so much a force of nature.

I hate to say it, but I had a similar impression.  And the 2-year deal is consistent with age concerns.

OTOH...

20 minutes ago, Believer said:

Older and wiser… 

Not as quick?… When a reporter asked him about his view of Analytics, Ruff immediately reeled off 4-5 measures he said he uses regularly as examples… in addition to the Eye Test.

The guy’s mind is quick like electric.

This is true too.  He was sharp.

There are reasons for optimism here and reasons for pessimism.

Lindy himself seemed optimistic -- including about goaltending.  He was unequivocal that UPL is his guy.

I think this is going to work.

Separately, I thought Adams seemed pretty tightly-wound.  I think he's feeling some pressure.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Are these guys who are settled in Buffalo?

I know Tage and Dahlin have settled into homes there as well, but they seem to summer "back home".

Most have seemed to only be Buffalonians in the winter, although I suspect that changes as they grow up.

Tuch is the only one I know of for sure that lives here year round. 

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I hate to say it, but I had a similar impression.  And the 2-year deal is consistent with age concerns.

OTOH...

This is true too.  He was sharp.

There are reasons for optimism here and reasons for pessimism.

Lindy himself seemed optimistic -- including about goaltending.  He was unequivocal that UPL is his guy.

I think this is going to work.

Separately, I thought Adams seemed pretty tightly-wound.  I think he's feeling some pressure.

Adams has publicly graduated firmly to the “time is now” mindset. Unequivocally repeated it’s about winning. (I’m so happy for so many of you @Thorny, @PerreaultForever, @PASabreFan😜)

Lindy very much seemed to believe in the talent. And you know he’s going to believe in his own ability to unleash it.

Really broad brush here, but I feel positive his presence is going to resonate with our growing Western Canadian group: Krebs, Cozens, Byram and Benson.

And you know he’s going to challenge Power. Very interested in seeing the response.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Kevyn Adams claims he spoke to double digit numbers of candidates. Which quite frankly I think is *****. 

The majority of candidates he spoke with probably told him right off the bat that they weren't interested... "Buffalo Sabres Head Coach" is not known as an enviable position around the league unfortunately.... it's where head coaches go to die.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And you know he’s going to challenge Power. Very interested in seeing the response.

Of course, Power should not be here to be challenged (he is the trade centerpiece to upgrade the forward group). If he is, though, I, too, will be interested to see the result - it may be Power's only hope.

Edited by ...
knotses
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The tone was very low key and while I agree Lindy sounded sharp when he answered, some of that energy I remember was not present. 

I don't think that's a bad thing. The whirlwind energy we saw back in the day was probably double that behind the scenes, leading to rash actions and premature, emotional decisions. A wiser, calculating, thoughtful Ruff is probably a better Ruff. The passion is still there, but as an old guy it really will only come out when necessary.

Edited by ...
ehrg
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ... said:

Of course, Power should not be here to be challenged (he is the trade centerpiece to upgrade the forward group). If he is, though, I, too, will be interested to see the result - it may be Power's only hope.

Power should not be traded

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams has publicly graduated firmly to the “time is now” mindset. Unequivocally repeated it’s about winning. (I’m so happy for so many of you @Thorny, @PerreaultForever, @PASabreFan😜)

Lindy very much seemed to believe in the talent. And you know he’s going to believe in his own ability to unleash it.

Really broad brush here, but I feel positive his presence is going to resonate with our growing Western Canadian group: Krebs, Cozens, Byram and Benson.

Power is definitely going to be an interesting case with Lindy. I don’t think he’s been worked that hard before. 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The tone was very low key and while I agree Lindy sounded sharp when he answered, some of that energy I remember was not present. 

46 minutes ago, ... said:

I don't think that's a bad thing. The whirlwind energy we saw back in the day was probably double that behind the scenes, leading to rash actions and premature, emotional decisions. A wiser, calculating, thoughtful Ruff is probably a better Ruff. The passion is still there, but as an old guy it really will only come out when necessary.

It's the old joke about the old bull and the young bull standing atop a hill, gazing down on a pasture of cows that are "in season."

Except in this case, Lindy's both the old bull and young(er) bull.

And he's not looking to literally shtup anyone, afaik.

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Once Owen Power gets the puck on his stick in the defensive zone, he moves it up-ice about as well as any Sabre I’ve ever seen: calmly, to a teammate, and in a way that allows that teammate to make a play.

He usually makes it look so easy that it may be perceived as unremarkable, but the frequency with which it happens compared to most is anything but.

Someone here posted a stat about how Power's long pass completion rate from the d-zone (or something) was near the very top of the league this season.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, ... said:

I’d see Byram and a prospect moved prior to Power.

watching the press conference now. My 1st thought is: man, age has not been kind to Lindy haha

2nd thought is: i hope Lindy still has some of that fire & energy that he had back in the day. We're gonna need every bit of fight in this man, to turn this thing around.

i wish him the best, because we'll need it

• Like (+1) 1