Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

16 hours ago, seer775 said:

... and they aren't getting better.

This is a premature statement.  It may prove accurate but the offseason hasn't really begun yet.  See what happens over the summer.

15 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Maybe at the bar with Donny and Ralph.  

fify

39 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I said it last summer and I will say it now, KO & Girgs were a waste of two roster spots and $5mil in cap space.  Now the question is, who does Adam bring in(and hopefully not promote from within) to replace them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I said it last summer and I will say it now, KO & Girgs were a waste of two roster spots and $5mil in cap space.  Now the question is, who does Adam bring in(and hopefully not promote from within) to replace them. 

I still don’t feel they were a waste, overpaid, sure but both still contributed positively to the team. 

I don't think people realize just how horrible a job Granato and his staff did last season when you look at the other coaches who got sacked for poor results. All of the other guys essentially got sunk by terrible goaltending while Granato got very good goaltending with UPL playing close to Vezina level from January on. When you fail miserably with solid goaltending that's as inexcusable and awful a failure as possible. If there was an Anti-Jack Adams award he would deserve to win it unanimously.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2024 at 8:30 PM, shrader said:

I’ll believe it when I see it… especially since the link says he MIGHT move on. 

This is exactly right.

Both are going to test the FA market, which does not mean they will be leaving the Sabres.  Although, I do think that VO said he planned to play in Europe.  That would be very likely, I think.  Maybe Girgs too.

On 5/17/2024 at 10:48 PM, sabremike said:

I don't think people realize just how horrible a job Granato and his staff did last season when you look at the other coaches who got sacked for poor results. All of the other guys essentially got sunk by terrible goaltending while Granato got very good goaltending with UPL playing close to Vezina level from January on. When you fail miserably with solid goaltending that's as inexcusable and awful a failure as possible. If there was an Anti-Jack Adams award he would deserve to win it unanimously.

I’m fine with Granato’s departure. I just think it is a bit unfair to point out, correctly, that other coaches were sunk by bad goaltending while not acknowledging that the Sabres were sunk by other deficiencies. Coaching was one of the deficiencies to be sure (poor starts, bad PP), but we had a very young roster that was constructed the opposite of what you see with almost every team in the playoffs (little experience, no grit or toughness).  The Sabres of last season did not have a playoff calibre roster. That sunk Granato as much as his coaching. I think the outlier in Granato’s 3 full years as coach was not last year’s disappointing results, but that he somehow managed to get them to within a point the year before. 

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I’m fine with Granato’s departure. I just think it is a bit unfair to point out, correctly, that other coaches were sunk by bad goaltending while not acknowledging that the Sabres were sunk by other deficiencies. Coaching was one of the deficiencies to be sure (poor starts, bad PP), but we had a very young roster that was constructed the opposite of what you see with almost every team in the playoffs (little experience, no grit or toughness).  The Sabres of last season did not have a playoff calibre roster. That sunk Granato as much as his coaching. I think the outlier in Granato’s 3 full years as coach was not last year’s disappointing results, but that he somehow managed to get them to within a point the year before. 

Granato was the right coach to take over for the system rigid Krueger. Under Granato the younger players were allowed to play a looser style that allowed them to express their talent and personally flourish. It seems to me that Granato couldn't make the next transition/adjustment from player development to team development. Individual player and team development are related but also are distinct. Granato is a good and honorable man. He is a credit to his profession. Changing the HC was the right thing to do. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Granato was the right coach to take over for the system rigid Krueger. Under Granato the younger players were allowed to play a looser style that allowed them to express their talent and personally flourish. It seems to me that Granato couldn't make the next transition/adjustment from player development to team development. Individual player and team development are related but also are distinct. Granato is a good and honorable man. He is a credit to his profession. Changing the HC was the right thing to do. 

I wholly agree with your 1st sentence and the last two. The middle part I’m not sure about. Granato never got an opportunity to coach a playoff style or calibre team. I’m not convinced he can’t adapt if given a team to coach that is built to win. That said, a change to the head coach position was needed to reset culture and expectations. 

3 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I wholly agree with your 1st sentence and the last two. The middle part I’m not sure about. Granato never got an opportunity to coach a playoff style or calibre team. I’m not convinced he can’t adapt if given a team to coach that is built to win. That said, a change to the head coach position was needed to reset culture and expectations. 

It's inarguable that the Sabres were not a complete team last year. But adjusting to your limitations and making alterations to compensate for them, is part of the job. Our PP faltered last year yet there were inadequate changes to the unit and strategy as the team struggled in that aspect of the game. Was there enough structure and accountability last year? I don't believe so. 

I'm not a harsh critic of Granato. He deserves a lot of credit for being adept at handling young player and advancing their game. However, in my view, the coaching change was the right thing to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I know there's been a couple jokes here about Granato coaching the Amerks, but that's exactly where he belongs.  I hope he catches on somewhere in the AHL.  He should be developing guys.

Im not even sure he’s AHL material.  May main concern is that he seems more skill development then overall game development.  Thinking specifically of word regarding practice prep, season prep.  In my head I think AHL is more than skill and positional development.  I would hate for my AHL team to not be getting these kids ready in terms of overall pace of practice, etc.

He might be capped out at pure developmental levels.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Im not even sure he’s AHL material.  May main concern is that he seems more skill development then overall game development.  Thinking specifically of word regarding practice prep, season prep.  In my head I think AHL is more than skill and positional development.  I would hate for my AHL team to not be getting these kids ready in terms of overall pace of practice, etc.

Could be.  But he seems to be a pretty bright guy.  If he truly reflects upon what could've been done differently this past season (just looking at game night adjustments: bring in an assistant that has a bloody clue about how to run a PP, being one; matching lines from the get go when at home rather than in just short segments of games being another; and doing something (ANYTHING) different right before the game starts to get the team ready to come out of the gate flying, being another; certainly there are things he could've done differently in practices as well), he could still at least be a good AHL coach.

Not sure if he'd be too stubborn to make those sorts of changes though.

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Just for the record, he has 7 years as an AHL head coach under his belt. 

15 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

That's kind of a strange way of looking at it imo. Granato never got that "opportunity" because he wasn't a good enough coach to get his team to the playoffs. 

Unlike many people here who believe he is this great development guy I think he was an incredibly over rated coach and somewhat clueless at the NHL level. We haven't had a good coach since Ruff, and now we are there again. Hopefully he's still a good coach. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's kind of a strange way of looking at it imo. Granato never got that "opportunity" because he wasn't a good enough coach to get his team to the playoffs. 

Unlike many people here who believe he is this great development guy I think he was an incredibly over rated coach and somewhat clueless at the NHL level. We haven't had a good coach since Ruff, and now we are there again. Hopefully he's still a good coach. 

I have no interest in carrying water for Granato. Better coaches than him get fired all the time.  That said, what is strange to me is to have the view that the Sabres are poorly built and missing many elements of a playoff team (very true) while simultaneously concluding that their head coach should have somehow squeezed a playoff spot out of them. It’s not unreasonable to conclude that Granato was part of the deficient make-up of the team. It is not at all or in any way strange to say that the Sabres did not have a playoff style or calibre lineup last year. 

2 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I have no interest in carrying water for Granato. Better coaches than him get fired all the time.  That said, what is strange to me is to have the view that the Sabres are poorly built and missing many elements of a playoff team (very true) while simultaneously concluding that their head coach should have somehow squeezed a playoff spot out of them. It’s not unreasonable to conclude that Granato was part of the deficient make-up of the team. It is not at all or in any way strange to say that the Sabres did not have a playoff style or calibre lineup last year. 

Speaking only for myself, I'd say the Sabres are not currently built to be a cup contender, but had a good enough roster to make the playoffs this season -- i.e. they should've beaten out the Isles or the Caps -- and failed to do so because of coaching.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2