Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

7 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I have no interest in carrying water for Granato. Better coaches than him get fired all the time.  That said, what is strange to me is to have the view that the Sabres are poorly built and missing many elements of a playoff team (very true) while simultaneously concluding that their head coach should have somehow squeezed a playoff spot out of them. It’s not unreasonable to conclude that Granato was part of the deficient make-up of the team. It is not at all or in any way strange to say that the Sabres did not have a playoff style or calibre lineup last year. 

In regards to your comment, I think this nailed it:

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Speaking only for myself, I'd say the Sabres are not currently built to be a cup contender, but had a good enough roster to make the playoffs this season -- i.e. they should've beaten out the Isles or the Caps -- and failed to do so because of coaching.

If you are looking at talent on the roster we had more talent than Washington by far, more than the Islanders (I mean Hudson Fasching for f sakes) more than Nashville, as much as L.A., I think you could even make an argument that we had more "talent" on the roster than Boston has. 

Yes, the make up of the team wasn't built right for the playoffs but how that roster plays and who is on it is partly on the coach as well. It's his philosophy and his game plan. If he's not asking for the right kind of bodies to fill roles and is just a KA puppet then he's not a good coach either. 

There are teams that over achieve for what they have on their roster. Nashville, Washington, NYI and Boston would definitely be in that category as well as Philadelphia and some others. Then there are teams that underachieve, and that was Buffalo (again) and coaching has a huge role in that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I read an interesting quote this morning that is attributed to Alexander the Great.

He said he would rather face an army of lions led by a sheep than an army of sheep led by a lion.

That says how much he valued leaders of men, let’s hope Lindy can bring out the best in these guys.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I read an interesting quote this morning that is attributed to Alexander the Great.

He said he would rather face an army of lions led by a sheep than an army of sheep led by a lion.

That says how much he valued leaders of men, let’s hope Lindy can bring out the best in these guys.

An army of sheep led by a lion is a pretty good description of this team at present.  Very nice.

32 minutes ago, French Collection said:

So is this Adams and Ruff?

and is Dahlin Harold?

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Mogilny said that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5