Breaking: Hoppe says to expect firings, trades

PASabreFan

22 hours ago, inkman said:

BrindA’mour (sp?) isn’t leaving Carolina 

Probably not, but he is not signed either so one can speculate that if Terry "drills a well" he might get him.  

Once you get past money, and convince Mrs. Brind'Amour,  you get to philosophy.  RBA got rid of Skinner.  He will want some control of the roster, and he would most likely want his kind of players playing his kind of game.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I only believe in the drafting as long as Ventura and Karmanos are here. It's fairly obvious to me that Forton shouldn't be the main voice in the draft room, too many old man hockey vibe picks from his lot. 

Is this mostly or entirely about Leinonen?

Forton has overseen 3 drafts. This kinda feels like you're arbitrarily deciding he got talked into "good" picks and owns the "bad" ones.

I've always kinda thought Leinonen was a Kevyn Adams call; as in Adams decided he desperately needed to draft a goalie that year and was going to reach off his list to do it if he had to.

The guy(s) who honed in on Leinonen specifically to be that goalie, I have no idea.

Well, actually I have no idea about any of this; it's just the impression I got from talk in and around the pick.

• Like (+1) 3

I expect trade(s) but do not see KA or DG going anywhere.  I do envision assistant(s) coach changes.  If no significant improvement next year, they’ll all be on very hot seats.  

My rationale for the above:

1.  Sabres have gone through a host of GM’s and HC’s with nothing to show for it.  Not a good look.

2.  Last year was a big improvement in our core youth on O, and this year the D improved.  Main issues this year was center spine and first period starts.  Was Tage playing hurt?  Can a couple veterans help the slow starts?  Did DG and KA learn anything regarding slow starts?  I expect KA and DG to come up with a plan to sell to TP. 

3.  When KA and DG were hired TP had to understand it would be OJT.  Do you throw away what you paid for their learning curves?

4.  At this point it’s anybody’s guess whether it’s roster construction, coaching, or most likely both.  Too close to make a GM or HC call?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Is this mostly or entirely about Leinonen?

Forton has overseen 3 drafts. This kinda feels like you're arbitrarily deciding he got talked into "good" picks and owns the "bad" ones.

I've always kinda thought Leinonen was a Kevyn Adams call; as in Adams decided he desperately needed to draft a goalie that year and was going to reach off his list to do it if he had to.

The guy(s) who honed in on Leinonen specifically to be that goalie, I have no idea.

Well, actually I have no idea about any of this; it's just the impression I got from talk in and around the pick.

Entirely, no. But I think there's picks in his resume that ignore analytics. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

I expect trade(s) but do not see KA or DG going anywhere.  I do envision assistant(s) coach changes.  If no significant improvement next year, they’ll all be on very hot seats.  

1.  Sabres have gone through a host of GM’s and HC’s with nothing to show for it.  Not a good look.

2.  Last year was a big improvement in our core youth on O, and this year the D improved.  Main issues this year was center spine and first period starts.  Was Tage playing hurt?  Can a couple veterans help the slow starts?  Did DG and KA learn anything regarding slow starts?  I expect KA and DG to come up with a plan to sell to TP. 

3.  When KA and DG were hired TP had to understand it would be OJT.  Do you throw away what you paid for their learning curves?

4.  At this point it’s anybody’s guess whether it’s roster construction, coaching, or most likely both.  Too close to make a GM or HC call?

Did it? I know the goaltending improved but I've little evidence the D did. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

If you think about it, Granato being back would actually be insane, just given what we’ve seen, the issues we’ve seen the team continually fall prey to. And I’ve been one of the most reluctant to call for his replacement. It just…the more time goes by the more im surprised by that the guy going up to the podium game after game with no answers for the slow starts, with increasingly little to say is just…back 

we’re such a weird franchise 

Oh well. Still love ‘em 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr Peabody said:

So, no improvement next year, miss the playoffs for the 5th year straight, would have them on hot seats for year 6, but nonetheless back?

I can’t even venture a guess with Granato at this point because I can’t understand it anymore but with KA, I’d have him back next season but to me THIS coming year is his “hot seat” season 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Entirely, no. But I think there's picks in his resume that ignore analytics. 

Did it? I know the goaltending improved but I've little evidence the D did. 

The D metrics are improved but not enough to cover for the decrease in offense.  https://naturalstattrick.com/teamtable.php

The Sabres have allowed the 7th most HDCA, last season they were 4th worst.  The totals are better 881 last season vs 759 YTD, but the entire NHL is better in this category. This is about an 11.7% improvement year over year.  Last season the Ducks were the worst at 1055 HDCA and 15 teams allowed 800 or more HDCA.  This season SJ is the worst at 862 and only 4 teams so afar have given up 800.  Scoring chances against are also improved from 11th worst to 14th worst and overall the numbers are also improved somewhat from SCA of 1957 down to 1773 YTD.  That amounts to about a 7% improvement year over year.

Sadly those improvements aren't helping the team as the offense has fallen even more.  HDCF are down 12.5% year over year and SCF is down 11.9%

If they keep Granato, he needs to replace his entire staff except Bales.  The improvement in UPL, especially given the limited improvement of the D, is a testament to Bales coaching and UPL's work ethic.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/11/2024 at 11:31 AM, PASabreFan said:

What is the point of that essay? Anyone in her could have written that! And the article did not have anything related to the title of the post. Which makes it no better than the standard click bait one sees all over the internet. 🤦‍♂️

11 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

What is the point of that essay? Anyone in her could have written that! And the article did not have anything related to the title of the post. Which makes it no better than the standard click bait one sees all over the internet. 🤦‍♂️

Hoppe did not write that we should expect to see firings and trades?

On 4/12/2024 at 2:07 PM, GoPuckYourself said:

No respectable Owner would keep this GM or HC, at the very least the HC but I just don't see them getting the axe.

At the very least, the coach HAS to go. If he is behind the bench starting next season, fans in the Arena should have signs saying “Fire Pegula” game 1. 

If Adams doesn’t fire Granato, then he should go as well. And we have to get a better coach and overall player development system

I have lived in Birmingham, AL the past 18 years and watched the Alabama football program up close. They take 18 year-old kids and by the time they are 21 those kids have added 15 to 20 pounds of muscle, are faster and stronger. Almost 100%! RBs who come in at 195, are 210-215 by the time they are Jrs. WRs, with a couple of unique exceptions, will add 10-15 lbs.  I’ve seen 210 lb LBs leave 3 yrs later at 235-240 and are fast beasts  

There is ZERO excuse for this coach and GM to not have these professional players adding 15 to 20 pounds of muscle from the time they drafted until they are 20 to 22 years old. Yet we see incremental changes there at best. Owen power should’ve come into camp at 225 and a beast. if he’s not between 225 and 230 and faster and more physical at the start of camp (similar for other players), that is on the GM and the coach and the whole player development system. 

Same with Benson  he is listed at 170. He should come into camp at 180  min.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

At the very least, the coach HAS to go. If he is behind the bench starting next season, fans in the Arena should have signs saying “Fire Pegula” game 1. 

If Adams doesn’t fire Granato, then he should go as well. And we have to get a better coach and overall player development system

I have lived in Birmingham, AL the past 18 years and watched the Alabama football program up close. They take 18 year-old kids and by the time they are 21 those kids have added 15 to 20 pounds of muscle, are faster and stronger. Almost 100%! RBs who come in at 195, are 210-215 by the time they are Jrs. WRs, with a couple of unique exceptions, will add 10-15 lbs.  I’ve seen 210 lb LBs leave 3 yrs later at 235-240 and are fast beasts  

There is ZERO excuse for this coach and GM to not have these professional players adding 15 to 20 pounds of muscle from the time they drafted until they are 20 to 22 years old. Yet we see incremental changes there at best. Owen power should’ve come into camp at 225 and a beast. if he’s not between 225 and 230 and faster and more physical at the start of camp (similar for other players), that is on the GM and the coach and the whole player development system. 

Same with Benson  he is listed at 170. He should come into camp at 180  min.

And by coach I mean no more Sabres castoffs, no more Sabres waiting in the wings, no more Sabres developmental coaches, no Lindy Ruff who has 3 failed teams after leaving Buffalo, I agree with all of what you're saying here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The D metrics are improved but enough to cover for the decrease in offense.  https://naturalstattrick.com/teamtable.php

The Sabres have allowed the 7th most HDCA, last season they were 4th worst.  The totals are better 881 last season vs 759 YTD, but the entire NHL is better in this category. This is about an 11.7% improvement year over year.  Last season the Ducks were the worst at 1055 HDCA and 15 teams allowed 800 or more HDCA.  This season SJ is the worst at 862 and only 4 teams so afar have given up 800.  Scoring chances against are also improved from 11th worst to 14th worst and overall the numbers are also improved somewhat from SCA of 1957 down to 1773 YTD.  That amounts to about a 7% improvement year over year.

Sadly those improvements aren't helping the team as the offense has fallen even more.  HDCF are down 12.5% year over year and SCF is down 11.9%

If they keep Granato, he needs to replace his entire staff except Bales.  The improvement in UPL, especially given the limited improvement of the D, is a testament to Bales coaching and UPL's work ethic.

I think replacing his entire staff (other than Bales, as you say) should be a condition of Granato’s employment.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I meant he didn’t write anything within the content that showed any evidence related to the title. It was just rehashing the problems. 

Yeah, wasn't much in there.  Its kinda like the joke about the weatherman in the summer saying the forcast will be partly sunny with a slight chance of rain, with variable winds.   Kinda hard to get that one wrong.  The Sabres could trade a single prospect, or a few draft picks and pick up a mid level vet....and make a couple assistant coaching firings/changes....and he could come back and say "Exactly what I predicted in my article"

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:36 PM, LGR4GM said:

No offense to PA or Hoppe but there's no source or even suggestion of how or why Hoppe thinks that other than the Sabres were bad this year. Just wish there was more meat here because I don't believe it. Terry seems content to do nothing. 

Hoppe was right!!  He must have had a good secret source he didn’t want to name. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well he was right on about firings. Let's hope he's on about trades/changes as well. 

It shouldn’t just be Krebs and Joki for draft picks either.  One of the core needs to go.  Put this team on notice. You guys don’t perform, see ya.  (I realize that could incentivize sand bagging) One of Tage, Power, Cozens or Dahlin needs to be shown the door.  The return should be substantial.  A top end of the roster player.  A good ol fashion hockey trade.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

It shouldn’t just be Krebs and Joki for draft picks either.  One of the core needs to go.  Put this team on notice. You guys don’t perform, see ya.  (I realize that could incentivize sand bagging) One of Tage, Power, Cozens or Dahlin needs to be shown the door.  The return should be substantial.  A top end of the roster player.  A good ol fashion hockey trade.  

See, I saw the Mitts trade as exactly this.

Do you disagree, or think it wasn’t enough?

I don't think they will, or should, trade any of their key NHL roster guys until we/they see how they do with a real NHL coach.

Although if Brady Tkachuk is traded -- which I don't think will happen -- I would give up Power plus other assets for him in a heartbeat.

59 minutes ago, dudacek said:

See, I saw the Mitts trade as exactly this.

Do you disagree, or think it wasn’t enough?

I disagree that we have to trade any one of Thompson, Cozen, Dahlin, or Power.    Trade for the right hockey deal, not just to fire for effect. 

I disagree on the Mitts deal.    We traded a 25 year old vet for another younger player that is similar in style to what we have.  I just don't know what Adams plans to do with Byram, or how this made us a better team.   

Still watching Byram closely.  He had a decent game at Tampa.   To me he is Joker on steroids so far.   

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hat tip to @BillHoppe. He framed that write-up so carefully that I took it to mean nothing. But, in retrospect, I think he must have had the scoop.

Remember when he used to run a thread here of "Ask Bill" or something?

He didn't stay long. I don't think he felt he was afforded the appropriate level of respect.