Breaking: Hoppe says to expect firings, trades

PASabreFan

No offense to PA or Hoppe but there's no source or even suggestion of how or why Hoppe thinks that other than the Sabres were bad this year. Just wish there was more meat here because I don't believe it. Terry seems content to do nothing. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Seems logical to start with the coaching staff and then let the new coach input on the roster. Logical next step.  

DG is a good guy, he did what he can, time for a fresh start.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There isn't anything wrong with that article, but its almost like someone took AI and had them scan this entire site of every post, and then write an article that consolidated common opinions and stats brought up into an aritlce.

Great article for the casual fans and a great summary of the season, but most of what was in there was discussed over and over on this forum.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

There isn't anything wrong with that article, but its almost like someone took AI and had them scan this entire site of every post, and then write an article that consolidated common opinions and stats brought up into an aritlce.

Great article for the casual fans and a great summary of the season, but most of what was in there was discussed over and over on this forum.

Yeah, so I tried that with Google Gemini, here is the result:

Prompt:

Can you scan the top 20 posts in this forum and come up with a recommendation of what the Buffalo Sabres should do in the off season based on the comments of the posters? https://www.sabrespace.com/community/forum/1-the-aud-club/

Response:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get insights directly from the forum because the content is not relevant to the query.

But based on my search, here's what some hockey news articles say about the Buffalo Sabres offseason plans:

• The Sabres are expected to have a big offseason with significant cap space to improve the roster.
  • Some potential targets include free agents like Jake Guentzel, Sam Reinhart, Elias Lindholm and top defensemen like Brett Pesce.
  • There's also a focus on re-signing some of their own players like Kyle Okposo and Zemgus Girgensons who add leadership and defensive presence.

Overall, it seems like the Buffalo Sabres are looking to take a step forward next season and are actively looking to improve the team through free agency and potentially trades.

• Haha (+1) 7

59 minutes ago, K-9 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6f6f38cae628eef43548d7f56c25b2ae.jpeg

I’m looking forward to his new contract announcement.  I’ll be the first to post it with some expletives in the OP.  I guess this is what fans do but I see no indication he’s leaving Carolina. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, inkman said:

I’m looking forward to his new contract announcement.  I’ll be the first to post it with some expletives in the OP.  I guess this is what fans do but I see no indication he’s leaving Carolina. 

The Sabres should have put it in the air that any NHL coach with demonstrable success in the league who is up for a contract renewal should talk to the Sabres before signing anything because it could mean double the money of what they'd get anywhere else.

That is how they get the attention of someone like Rod Brind'Amour.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, like the Sabres' season itself, I clicked into that article with high hopes, which quickly came crashing down.

Their last game is on Monday, and the last games of the NHL season are on Wednesday.  If DG is going to be fired -- which is absolutely what should happen -- it will happen by Friday.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ... said:

The Sabres should have put it in the air that any NHL coach with demonstrable success in the league who is up for a contract renewal should talk to the Sabres before signing anything because it could mean double the money of what they'd get anywhere else.

I mean I’m guessing he’s made $20-30 mill from playing and coaching.  Everyone loves money but it’s not like he needs it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

Many know, I'm not in favor of firing Granato, is he perfect, no, but I think this season's failure is more on the players than the coach. However, if you are going to change coaches.....

I think you need the GM AND the owner present for interviews, and if you want a top coach like Brind'Amour, you are going to have to tell him...here is your 4-5 year deal....YOU are going to have input into the roster AND the direction of the roster.  Basically, something I don't think Pegula would want...but if the GM and Coach (or in this case the coach) says...I don't want this guy...or I want to draft this guy...he gets basically the final say.  Sure, the owner should be informed of moves but not involved in decision making. It has to be more of.....letting the owner know what the moves being made are, and explain to him WHY they are being made, thats it.   We can't have Pegula wanting Leino...or sitting on on personal meetings, asking questions about day-to-day things.  Its not a good work environment for have the owner 'sitting in' on coaching meetings, personal meetings, giving his input and expecting things to be run by him.

Sure, Pegula has the RIGHT to do that, but you want to attract a new coach, not an unknown, a minor league guy, or an older guy on his 4th chance.....then that new guy needs to know him and the GM run the franchise...the owner will be informed, but not involved.  If Terry doesn't want that then fine, but then he, and all of us, have to accept the consequences of that.

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Well, like the Sabres' season itself, I clicked into that article with high hopes, which quickly came crashing down.

Their last game is on Monday, and the last games of the NHL season are on Wednesday.  If DG is going to be fired -- which is absolutely what should happen -- it will happen by Friday.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't believe for 1 second it's happening. His extension kicks in for what? 2 more years? Ya, I've prepared myself for 2 more years of this garbage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I mean I’m guessing he’s made $20-30 mill from playing and coaching.  Everyone loves money but it’s not like he needs it. 

Then he can accept the double deal and send me the double part, since he doesn't need it and I recommended him 😉

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't believe for 1 second it's happening. His extension kicks in for what? 2 more years? Ya, I've prepared myself for 2 more years of this garbage.

Someone said Tyson Jost got paid more this year to play in the AHL than Meatballs annual salary. The cost is not prohibitive to move on.  

Edited by Porous Five Hole

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Someone said Tyson Jost got paid more this year to play in the AHL than Meatballs annual salary. The cost is not prohibitive to move on.  

Oh my comment wasn't on the money aspect. It was on the "team needs to show stability in coaching and management dept" aspect.

After all, that was the big bitch by many, not a stable environment.

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Oh my comment wasn't on the money aspect. It was on the "team needs to show stability in coaching and management dept" aspect.

After all, that was the big bitch by many, not a stable environment.

So this kinda blew my mind. Don Granato is the fourth most tenured head coach in Sabres HISTORY. They stood by the guy, but it is absolutely defensible to move on.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

So this kinda blew my mind. Don Granato is the fourth most tenured head coach in Sabres HISTORY. They stood by the guy, but it is absolutely defensible to move on.  

As I have said over and over, I'm not on the fire Granato bandwagon.  Its not that I am assured he is a great coach, I think he is "OK". But my problem is, put most coaches in the Sabres position, with what I THINK is a somewhat 'meddling' owner, a desire to allow assistant coaches that are good to go elsewhere and replace them with lower priced guys, and an overall lack of Pegula willing to put up assets/dollars to push this franchise forward.....well...I'm not sure any good coaches will want the job, and any other 'average' coaches won't do much better with the assets to back them up.

You could change coaches and they might improve next year, but that would be more because the team is 'maturing' and 'aging up' if it does happen.  Before a head coach or GM change happens, I want to see a greater comittement from ownership to support the franchise in other ways (assistant coaches, development, etc.)

1 hour ago, ... said:

Yeah, so I tried that with Google Gemini, here is the result:

Prompt:

Can you scan the top 20 posts in this forum and come up with a recommendation of what the Buffalo Sabres should do in the off season based on the comments of the posters? https://www.sabrespace.com/community/forum/1-the-aud-club/

Response:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get insights directly from the forum because the content is not relevant to the query.

But based on my search, here's what some hockey news articles say about the Buffalo Sabres offseason plans:

• The Sabres are expected to have a big offseason with significant cap space to improve the roster.
  • Some potential targets include free agents like Jake Guentzel, Sam Reinhart, Elias Lindholm and top defensemen like Brett Pesce.
  • There's also a focus on re-signing some of their own players like Kyle Okposo and Zemgus Girgensons who add leadership and defensive presence.

Overall, it seems like the Buffalo Sabres are looking to take a step forward next season and are actively looking to improve the team through free agency and potentially trades.

Good to know Skynet isn’t fully self aware yet.  

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

wtf? If part of the plan is to bring back Kyle it's going to be really hard to stay a fan next year. Guy can't even crack the Florida line up and they have some injuries. Reinhart back? Why would Reinhart do that? That's absurd too. Guentzel? For the money maybe but he's not what we really need.

Now if they signed Lindholm and Pesce, that would truly be something. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I fully understand there’s less than a snowball’s chance and I’m not delusional, but he hasn’t re-signed with Canes as of yet, so let a man dream in the meantime, would ya? 

• Like (+1) 1