Breaking: Hoppe says to expect firings, trades

PASabreFan

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t see that as change though, just shuffling the deck chairs. They already work collaboratively and Adams as President reporting to Pegula would get final say and push Pegula’s ideas.

No, Karmanos has final say. Adams is only there to be pegulas eyes and ears. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

No, Karmanos has final say. Adams is only there to be pegulas eyes and ears. 

That’s what we would hope would be the case but I wouldn’t bet on it. I’m with you on it just skeptical it would play out how we would like.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

That’s what we would hope would be the case but I wouldn’t bet on it. I’m with you on it just skeptical it would play out how we would like.

I think that's more than reasonable given the state of this franchise. 

I worry about losing Karmanos and Ventura and I want both to have more say.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No offense to PA or Hoppe but there's no source or even suggestion of how or why Hoppe thinks that other than the Sabres were bad this year. Just wish there was more meat here because I don't believe it. Terry seems content to do nothing. 

Yeah I read that article earlier today and it sounded no more informed than a typical Sabrespace post.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I disagree. They should hire a coach tailored to the roster, not tailor a roster to a coach 

I don’t need the new coach to be Belichick, I don’t need the GM to be compelled to weigh the coach’s evaluation equally against his own. I want the GM to set the roster he wants and employ the coach that fits the roster HE assembled 

So you want another first timer?  That’s what you will get.  

Hire an experienced Coach, like Lindy as an example, get his input on the roster and try to accommodate.   Work together and don’t force NHL tweener level players on a team that is $20m under the cap.  No good coach will agree to it.  

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

So you want another first timer?  That’s what you will get.  

Hire an experienced Coach, like Lindy as an example, get his input on the roster and try to accommodate.   Work together and don’t force NHL tweener level players on a team that is $20m under the cap.  No good coach will agree to it.  

I guess when I think of “listening to a coach” I’m thinking of the, “hey that guy played for granato at the USNTDP 5 years ago go get him” shenanigans we’ve seen. You are probably right that a more vet coach would provide more valuable suggestions, but if that sort of philosophy was imputed by the GM we may still have the same problem. I’m ok with the coach having input but the aim needs to be to field a good team with an identity within its very construction that ANY competent coach could work with, rather than that input bring geared more towards familiarity to coach 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No offense to PA or Hoppe but there's no source or even suggestion of how or why Hoppe thinks that other than the Sabres were bad this year. Just wish there was more meat here because I don't believe it. Terry seems content to do nothing. 

Don’t know how much it’ll mean, but Hoppe goes WAY back with Pegula. Knew him decades ago and has kept close with Terry over the years. He doesn’t trumpet it often, but he’s mentioned it before. So the article could be conjecture on his part, but he also may have spoken to Pegula and Pegula asked him not to attribute anything to him directly. We will all know soon enough if this article is accurate or not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Billznut said:

Don’t know how much it’ll mean, but Hoppe goes WAY back with Pegula. Knew him decades ago and has kept close with Terry over the years. He doesn’t trumpet it often, but he’s mentioned it before. So the article could be conjecture on his part, but he also may have spoken to Pegula and Pegula asked him not to attribute anything to him directly. We will all know soon enough if this article is accurate or not. 

Intrasting.

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

He’s a handsome bastage 

RBF and a nice quaff. What more do you need?

I know I absolutely do not want Brind’Amour. I can’t stand that guy. Luckily, he ain’t leaving Carolina, anyway.

And that site is garbage. I couldn’t get past it to even read the article.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Billznut said:

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Intrasting.

Hoppe has gotta be at least 2 decades younger than Terry.

Are you sure you aren’t mixing him up with another suburban sportswriter, Chuck Pollock?

https://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/pollock-don-t-expect-me-to-criticize-bills-sabres-owners/article_8e94de6e-27ca-11e7-940b-1b83486bdd3c.html

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, SwampD said:

RBF and a nice quaff. What more do you need?

I know I absolutely do not want Brind’Amour. I can’t stand that guy. Luckily, he ain’t leaving Carolina, anyway.

And that site is garbage. I couldn’t get past it to even read the article.

I might have the source wrong, but I think it was Paul Maurice.  He was quoted as saying that the role of a head coach is to design a game plan, teach the game plan and hold the players accountable for committing to the game plan.  He then stated that the best coach n the NHL at doing this is Brind'Amour.  I think Maurice and Brind'Amour go back a long way, so take it for what it's worth.  There isn't a coach I would rather have though.  Maybe DeBoer

I don't think Brind'Amour is leaving Carolina.  If he isn't extended yet though and they lose out in rd 1 or 2, a change is not impossible to imagine.  Other coaches who might be vulnerable if they miss the playoffs or lose out early:  Montgomery, Keefe, Sullivan.  The Western teams already made their moves (McLellan, Evason, Woodcroft).   

• Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

No respectable Owner would keep this GM or HC, at the very least the HC but I just don't see them getting the axe.

Especially given the options out there.  

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hoppe has gotta be at least 2 decades younger than Terry.

Are you sure you aren’t mixing him up with another suburban sportswriter, Chuck Pollock?

https://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/pollock-don-t-expect-me-to-criticize-bills-sabres-owners/article_8e94de6e-27ca-11e7-940b-1b83486bdd3c.html

You know what, you’re absolutely right. Good call. Major brain fart on my part. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I still believe in Adams plan wrt drafting and development.... but they need a better coaching staff.

I only believe in the drafting as long as Ventura and Karmanos are here. It's fairly obvious to me that Forton shouldn't be the main voice in the draft room, too many old man hockey vibe picks from his lot. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I only believe in the drafting as long as Ventura and Karmanos are here. It's fairly obvious to me that Forton shouldn't be the main voice in the draft room, too many old man hockey vibe picks from his lot. 

I don’t get “old man hockey vibes” from Forton at all. Quite the opposite. He isn’t from the analytics era, but everything I’ve read and heard from him suggests he has embraced analytics as an important part of the scouting process.