Who's better, Dahlin or Byram?

LGR4GM

I find BB very interesting. There's something to his level of compete and his attitude and maybe it's infectious. I'm with Friedman's comments on 32 Thoughts about that PP thing where he's trying to direct people. He's come in from a high compete organization and he brings that and MAYBE it's like party's over it's time to give'er as they say on the prairies. There's something more than just the stats and on ice play imo. 

It has my interest anyway. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

When we drafted Power, I was hoping him and Dahlin would be our pronger/niedermayer in playoffs.    But seems right now Power is the Beauchemin behind those 2, and will benefit playing minutes behind them. 

3 D that were great were Robinson, Savard and Lapointe.

Dahlin and Byram have Savard and Lapointe covered but Power is no Robinson. He can get there skill wise but he will never be as tough as Big Bird.

• Like (+1) 1

Its Dahlin for me right now. Bryam  has such asmall sample size as other have said.

Lets see how he fits into this team, lets see what happens as he gets 22-24 minutes game after game after game.  Maybe he will be great. He has been great in a very small sample size, but I also haven't really seen enough of him in his own end to know.

Dahlin has had some struggles early in the year, but I think he's already a top 20 D-man in this league. In the offensive end he may not be 'elite' at everything, but he is very good at almost everything...skating, shot accuracy, finding open guys, controlling the puck and making others miss him, avoiding hits. Defensively, he can be somewhat physical, scoops up loose pucks and controls them in the D-zone, often makes great exit passes/stretch passes.  With a 'better' team around him and one or two less minutes per game, for an entire year, he's getting Norris consideration.

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Still not Dahlin 

Is Byram equal to what Dahlin was 3 years ago?  I think these last few games, he looks like he might be at least where Dahlin was 3 yrs ago.  You can make a credible argument either way.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Of course they would but who knows what Byram is in 2-3 years 

Anchoring his own pair after they trade Power, because they won’t pay both Bryam and Power.

What is Power worth in trade?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

28 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

For a competent GM, probably a nice haul. 

For KA.... 

Mr Peanut GIF by Party Legends

Despite my obvious distain for the way KA has managed the team for the last two years, even I will admit he has received good value on his big moves.  Mitts for Bryam, whether I agree with the premise of the trade or not, was very good value.  Greenway for a 2nd is good value, Jack for a 1st, Tuch and Krebs is reasonable value.  The only one we might argue, especially considering his growth as a player since he left, was Reinhart for Levi and a 1st.  If Levi becomes the franchise goalie we hope, then even that's good value, but possibly two years two late since we have need a no. 1 goalie for 3 years.

Dahlin .... I think he was doing way too much, playing way to many minutes, I still see him doing stupid passes that lead to chances every now and again but not nearly as much since the trade of Byram. What a great pickup he's been so far but still Dahlin is the better overall player imo and probably by a country mile but the 2 together are an awesome pairing.

On 3/15/2024 at 5:18 PM, pi2000 said:

Anybody missing Casey yet?

I haven't been following Casey in CO. Has he done anything since scoring one goal?

Googled it: 1G 2A in 4 games (all wins) +4.  So he's doing fine.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Anchoring his own pair after they trade Power, because they won’t pay both Bryam and Power.

What is Power worth in trade?

I don’t agree they will trade Power. And I don’t agree they won’t pay Byram.

The second the Sabres drafted two defensemen first overall, the shell of the team was always going to look drastically different than the present NHL formula. Go ahead and throw out the league “budget” for the blue line. Buffalo is going to eclipse it. It was always going to be this way. 

And because #1 overall forwards can come in and play immediately at age 18/19 (Bedard, Lafreniere, Hughes, Matthews, McDavid), these teams get good production while they’re on cheap ELCs. You don’t get that with defensemen. Defensemen aren’t fully formed until age 22/23 or so. The budget for the back-end in Buffalo will command more capital.  
Building a team with two pinnacle #1 overall D has never been done before that I can recall. 

Personally, I’ve come to embrace the concept of spending on the blue line. Bo is a key piece and I want him here long term.…conventional budget bedamned.  ESPECIALLY with how many forward prospects this franchise has. Hopefully the Sabres can massage production out of ELCs for a while at forward.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Of course they would but who knows what Byram is in 2-3 years 

They are a year apart. I don’t see Byram having a greater development runway than Dahlin 

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Is Byram equal to what Dahlin was 3 years ago?  I think these last few games, he looks like he might be at least where Dahlin was 3 yrs ago.  You can make a credible argument either way.

The appropriate question is: Is Byram this year as good as Dahlin was last year, when Dahlin was the same age. It’s a resounding no

Just now, Thorny said:

They are a year apart. I don’t see Byram having a greater development runway than Dahlin 

Dahlin has been in the league 5-1/2 years to byram's 3 -1/2 

Do you believe if byram had 5 1/2 years of learning and developing he be the player we see today ? I don't 

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Dahlin has been in the league 5-1/2 years to byram's 3 -1/2 

Do you believe if byram had 5 1/2 years of learning and developing he be the player we see today ? I don't 

I think age is probably a bigger factor. Especially in this case: what good is “experience” if that experience is a net negative under Krueger? If anything Dahlin went backwards 

For a time, and had to claw it back. I’d take the 3 years in the mile high over 5 in this mess re: development ground