Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

@Hank what’s the X for here? The bit about KA having a choice, or the bit about our trades prioritizing the future?

I was only about half way through the thread but saw the notification, since you asked I'll skip the rest and answer. 

It's been long established I'm a huge fan of Mitts. I'm sad to see him go. I also believe Mitts has been our best forward this year. 

I really like Byram. Unlike Clifton, he produced in a top four role on a Stanley cup winning team. Skating, transition, production, he's an upgrade to what we have, and he's just entering his prime. He's skilled enough that Dahlin can play back on the left side with him and slot Mule on the 3rd pair. The concussions give me pause, but his last one was two years ago. He also upgrades PP2. 

Regarding the forwards - you predicted a regression in scoring. You were right. While it's certainly possible that last year were "career years" for Tage and Cozens, I think you'd agree that the first half of this year is not an accurate representation of who they'll be going forward, and it's reasonable to expect a positive regression to the mean next year. Our forwards need addressing this off season, but we have our top two centers. 

I think the upgrade on D will offset the loss at forward next year and it'll be a net positive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Is experience and age the same thing ?  Can't a 23 / 24 be further ahead in their NHL career if he has been in the league since he was 19

True, Buffalo's new 'top 4' has career 855 games played.

Florida: 2526

Vancouver: 2577

Boston: 2131

Winnipeg: 2413

Rangers: 1667

Vegas: 3014

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

True, Buffalo's new 'top 4' has career 855 games played.

Florida: 2526

Vancouver: 2577

Boston: 2131

Winnipeg: 2413

Rangers: 1667

Vegas: 3014

This statistic is telling.  I really do think that Adams has the Sabres poised to be a powerhouse in the future, in theory, but I'm not sure the fans can wait that long, or if the year-after-year of failing to make the playoffs will result in players losing interest and/or wanting to be traded.  See Reinhart, Sam.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

my leaning here is it’s more about the long term where this deal is concerned f

You seem to be looking for this to be the case.  He will be 23 before the season starts and will have 4 NHL seasons under his belt while averaging 20 min per night on one of the best teams in the league.  He's had moments of dominant play and times of injury and inconsistent play in his short career.  Tons of potential here.  

It is very realistic to think Byram will make this team better next season than Mitts.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Derrico said:

You seem to be looking for this to be the case.  He will be 23 before the season starts and will have 4 NHL seasons under his belt while averaging 20 min per night on one of the best teams in the league.  He's had moments of dominant play and times of injury and inconsistent play in his short career.  Tons of potential here.  

It is very realistic to think Byram will make this team better next season than Mitts.

Bolded is definitely possible. I’d say likely. Thinking about it, almost assuredly: my bias is definitely to lean towards thinking that’s where the prioritization is, based on the fact otherwise would represent a change of what we have seen up until this point. Or, at least up until this season. I still think their internal expectation was playoffs this season, but there are some who argue otherwise.

The idea that Adams thinks Byram represents an upgrade on Casey for next season outright is certainly a plausible (and preferable) one. So I suppose *that’s* what I’m actually looking for to be the case. I was simply drawn to expecting otherwise 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't know this player. Hope he ends up good.

Someday,… we'll get a player who is actually good, not one with "upside."

Way to kick the can down the road, Kevyn.

Hey Terry, 12 years and counting and I'm still waiting to see anything that would lead me to spend a a single penny on your garbage product, nice work.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I honestly don’t understand this reference either but 10/10 for entertainment value 

I was looking for a monkey playing board game, that's the best I could find.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, inkman said:

Casey was panned by every Sabres fan everywhere what a year, maybe 18 months ago.  Now we hate the Sabres for trading him for a current player who is better.  Ok. 

Not to mention, 90% of their top prospects are forwards. Benson and Savoie could be Casey’s equal by next season. They will most likely eclipse Mitts shortly thereafter.  Noah Östlund will be here as early as next season to compete for a middle 6 center role. Kulich and Rosen are coming.  

I don’t want to wait.  I’m hoping adds a couple gritty forwards that can compete for top 9 roles.  

Casey was panned because the team sucked and he was rushed into the NHL.  He got better after his stint in Rochester, no surprise.  

There is no proof that Byram is a better player, his draft status of 4OA means nothing.   If he was showing anything to indicate he was a special player he would not have been traded.  

He is a smallish defender who’s game is similar to Joker, and Johnson, and even Dahlin. He brings nothing different.  He is not the missing link - a RHD, a big tough stay at home defenseman that we lack.  He will not punish opponents who hang out  in front of our net.

The trade took away our best 2way center, that can contribute on the PP, and the first line.  We now have another defenseman who is like the others we already have.  Unless they trade Joker or Power or Johnson we just added another of the same.  No diversity in their game.  

By trading Mitts for this guy we created another hole related to the type of players that this roster needs.   Maybe another deal is coming.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don't know this player. Hope he ends up good.

Someday,… we'll get a player who is actually good, not one with "upside."

Way to kick the can down the road, Kevyn.

Hey Terry, 12 years and counting and I'm still waiting to see anything that would lead me to spend a a single penny on your garbage product, nice work.

Agree but as we know actual good players have nmc and so we can't get them. Not excusing ka and or tp for the bed they've made, but given the situation this guy sounds like potentially best player available.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Agree but as we know actual good players have nmc and so we can't get them. Not excusing ka and or tp for the bed they've made, but given the situation this guy sounds like potentially best player available.  

I think this deal more so proves the “can’t get good players” idea false. It proves the “you have to pay up for them” idea true

The actual structure of the deal is actually quite promising 

1) we traded someone liked

2) going with the idea it is indeed a “now” trade, it demonstrates a willingness to perhaps “lose” a trade from a perception standpoint, raw current production standpoint to WIN the war by addressing a need. I don’t know if I agree with the execution, namely, whether a left shot perhaps injury riddled player addresses said need, but, the method behind the madness is extremely encouraging 

3) hockey trade 

I quite like the mechanics behind the deal. I might like the mechanics of the deal enough that even irrespective of my evaluation of the actual components, I’m glad we made it 

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, seer775 said:

What?

Do you know how biology works?

Brain damage is much worse than no brain damage.

Mitts has had no brain injuries. Byram has had three severe concussions. He's 22.

Would you expect him to keep playing if he got another one?

Try to keep up with your own logic here. 

You knocked the trade because we traded for a player who suffered three concussions early in his career, the last being over two years ago. But then you say you would be fine with having a player who has suffered more of them. Ergo, your stated concern about concussions is bullcrap because it’s more about talent than concern for the player. 

But yeah, once you suffer an initial concussion the next one is exponentially easier to sustain and with even less force required to sustain it. That said the treatments and protocols have improved over the last several years as well so their effects can be better mitigated. 

As to whether he should keep playing if he sustains another one, that depends on several factors. I’ll just say that after Kyle Okposo went into a manic state, suffered from paranoia, delusions, and had to be hospitalized after a concussion, I was all for his retirement. But that was six years ago now. 

Geez… Thompson’s shot puts a rebound right off to Tuch and he skates past it… Heads up, not in the clouds, Tuch

Victor…. Boom…

2 minutes ago, Believer said:

Geez… Thompson’s shot puts a rebound right off to Tuch and he skates past it… Heads up, not in the clouds, Tuch

Victor…. Boom…

Mittelstadt for Byram….boom 

Just now, Believer said:

How come he hasn’t been playing, Granato?

He’s not even in Buffalo yet! 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Mittelstadt for Byram….boom 

He’s not even in Buffalo yet! 

You got a little Tuch in you tonight, Thorny… You are distracted!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Believer said:

You got a little Tuch in you tonight, Thorny… You are distracted!!

You’re the one in the wrong thread! 😃

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

You’re the one in the wrong thread! 😃

Geezus…,You’re right!… Two games in a row… Good God😎

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Krebs has made Mitts expendable?

Out of our 12 main forwards, the guy who ranks 12th in points makes the guy ranked #1 expendable? 

Even if he did, doesn’t that make player #11 expendable sooner than the guy who’s now #2?

Can’t wrap my head around this 

Screaming Craig T Nelson GIF by filmeditor

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We just drafted 3 centers 2 seasons ago in Savoie, Kulich and Östlund. Someone is going to take over that spot and they obviously didn't want to pay Middlestadt to do it so yes I believe that's correct.

Someone next year can take over the fourth line center. Krebs' game has improved this year, too, just not as dramatic as Mitts.