Owen Power Week to Week with Injury

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Dahlin is an almost 6 year vet at 23.

He would be in his rockie or second year on a real team.

These two are really going to be something at 25 to 32+.

Adams is going to look like a genius for locking both up long-term.

Dahlin is almost 24. He is in his fifth season.

The certainty that Power will join Dahlin in perennial battles for the Norris is rdiculous. 

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Pardon me if I'm cutting in: Anyone care to share a take on where Power is in terms of development and/or how he projects as an NHLer? 

I've mostly stopped paying attention to how the team and players perform. But given that they've committed to the guy long-term, I am curious to get perspectives on where he's at, where he may be headed.

For my part, he generally makes me say meh. 

There are aspects of his game that he needs to work on -

1 - being a bigger presence in front of the net.  Already a big dude, but do a better job tying people up and moving people.

2 - Adding into that, he needs to be more physical period.

3 - He thinks too much.  Which just seems like an issue all around as no one seems to know where anyone is.  

4 - Shooting.  He passes up a lot of shots looking for something better.  Sometimes this is fine on a PP, but at ES it tends to lead to turnovers.  Maybe he's not the one turning it over, but it keeps our offense too far away from the net.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Owen Power Week to Week with Injury
45 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The Sabres could lose 150 more games by the time Power turns 25.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The certainty that Power will join Dahlin in perennial battles for the Norris is rdiculous. 

The only evidence in favour of OP being an eventual Norris candidate is his draft position. 

I know this is going to hurt the feelings of the usual suspects, but he's just as close to Eric Johnson trajectory than Norris candidate.

I've said before that I don't agree with Rivet on a lot of things, but his negative comments towards Power's game are spot on.  Off the top of my head I can't remember a Dman on this team with a worse size:grit ratio.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

True only if Dahlin was just an above average normal prospect on a good team.   Dahlin was good enough to play in the NHL at 19/20 but a good team would bring him in slower, sheltered his minutes at first, and use him in situations were he could shine.   Makar was 21 as a rookie.  When Dahlin was 20 he was in his 3rd year and he was struggling mightily, playing huge minutes on a terrible team under a terrible coach who had no business being in the NHL.   

Buffalo rushed Dahlin because the team was so devoid of talent, lacking in veteran leadership, mired in an cultural funk, and a for a long time did not have a legitimate pipeline extending into the AHL.   That is all a residual of the failed major tank tear down in a failed attempt to get McDavid.  

They play young players sooner than good teams would, and they do it to a flaw (see Benson this season).   Dahlin was always good enough to play at a young age - but he should not have been carrying that big of a load and be forced to drop gloves because no one on the team police’s things.  

Power was a rookie at 20.  Power to me is not as talented as Dahlin.  He is talented enough to be a great defender, maybe a Norris contender, but today at 21 he is still very young to be playing 22-25 minutes.  Sometimes he looks very good, sometimes he makes mistakes. Not a surprise.   

Why was Power “better” last season than this one?  I’m not sure he really was.   Expectation are way higher this season and Power is one of many players that is not living up to them.  My opinion is that Adams grossly miscalculated the ability of his players and his coaches.  

If Power can harness the power and strength that his physical statue can support he will really be something.  Is he willing to train, get stronger and  faster?   Is he willing to get meaner and dictate the tone on the ice ?   Those are the big questions.   I think he will become a very solid fixture on the blue line, but it will take a few more years.  He needs to play with a better partner as well.  

I don’t support all the “Power sucks” comments here, just as I didn’t support the “Dahlin sucks” comments.   The losing  has caused unrealistic expectations on our draft choices.  Fans are looking for a savior.  This is not the NFL, most all 18 year old draft picks are years away.  

In the GDT’s many fans jump on whatever defenseman they see on the TV screen whenever we give up a goal.  The reality of what happens out there is more complicated than that.  They play terrible team defense despite an effort to focus on defense.  They have substandard coaching in all facets of game.  Whatever this system is has choked out the scoring and open play that made last season exciting and promising.  

The root cause of these problems with this team is the owner.   His Economic/Efficient/Effective business model has maxed out and the team is regressing again.   All he has to hire is hire the right hockey person and step away.  But he won’t. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

So he's 23.

And almost a 6 year vet.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The only evidence in favour of OP being an eventual Norris candidate is his draft position. 

I know this is going to hurt the feelings of the usual suspects, but he's just as close to Eric Johnson trajectory than Norris candidate.

I've said before that I don't agree with Rivet on a lot of things, but his negative comments towards Power's game are spot on.  Off the top of my head I can't remember a Dman on this team with a worse size:grit ratio.

Tyler Myers?  But yeah, completely agree.  And to go homer, watching last night's BeanPot - Hunter MacDonald on D for NU is also 2002 (like Power) from Rochester (Fairport), Flyers property. This young man plays real defense, full of grit. Blocking shots, cross-checks, physical every single shift.  He's a huge pain in the ass for the opposing team.  Crashing the net?  Prepare for some pain.  You can say sure he's playing against NCAA not NHL, but it's BU and their entire top 6 is likely drafted and on slow burn (save Celebrini), unlike fancy game OP, and his blue chip status.  The damn internet needs to stop selecting the #1 pick 2 years in advance based on highlight video in the offensive end.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Find me the GM who wouldn’t have signed Dahlin long term. Find me the poster who wouldn’t have signed Dahlin long term at the time we signed him.

”genius”

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

what's the injury tho?

Displaced helmet 

• Haha (+1) 1

Power needs to go to a shooting school over the summer like Dahlin did after Krueger. Power has zero confidence in his shot and it shows far more this year because teams have figured it out. If he gained some mass and upgrades his shot he’ll look worlds better than he is now since not only will he be better but other teams will have to respect the shot. 

Power also needs to learn how to use his body more to protect the net but I highly doubt he’ll ever be a physical defender, it’s just not in his personality. There’s a particular quirk with some defensemen where they desire physical play. Dahlin is certainly one of them; he definitely has a dirtiness to his game. He’s not a classic big body in front of the net but he loves to grind people out on the boards with no hesitation. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I am too lazy to look it up, but I would make some sort of friendly wager than less than 20% of 1OA picks spend any significant time in "the A" (lol, in the A). Are there any good 1OA picks that spent any time in the AHL?

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

21yo Power has 27 hits in his 2nd full year 51 games in.

20yo Power, had 27 in his full rookie season.

For context, 18yo Dahlin had 97 hits in his rookie year.

This is my biggest concern regarding Power.  Zero aggression.  No physical game whatsoever.

Im not sure how you can play defense in this league with no physicality unless you are Paul Coffey.

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Weave said:

This is my biggest concern regarding Power.  Zero aggression.  No physical game whatsoever.

Agree… You cant train or gain aggression with experience… It is a personality trait… No evidence Power possesses it… 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Believer said:

Agree… You cant train or gain aggression with experience… It is a personality trait… No evidence Power possesses it… 

I do agree with that, players' personalities don't drastically change. Power is very unlikely to ever be a physical presence but I don't really see that as a detriment as long as he grows up in to a solid skating defenseman. Not all of the defense have to have a sharp edge to them. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.