Owen Power Week to Week with Injury

Brawndo

28 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

In fairness to KA, the guy was the consensus #1 pick overall and he played very well in his first full season.  Burning the first year of his ELC has really come back to bite the Sabres in the butt here, as having another year to assess his worthiness of a large extension would have been useful.  That said, burning that 1st year is what happens with players drafted at that level.  It's not like the Sabres had much of a choice.  I'm also in the camp that Power will be fine.  He's having a bad sophomore slump season, but he has the tools and played well in his first season.  Outside of Peterka and UPL, nobody on the Sabres is having a very good season.

Also, feline AIDS is the leading cause of death among domestic cats.

I'm open to burning the first year of an entry level deal, because it gives the player less time to prove their worth for their 2nd contract. Theoretically, you should be able to lock them up for less as their stats and body of work would be more team friendly.

The problem is, OP's performance in his first full season didn't warrant the contract he got. IMO, nothing he did last year projected out at much more than $8.5M per, even if he improved year to year. If he was tougher... maybe. The 1st OA is what we payed for, even though it was a weak draft year.

32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Explain his rookie year?

Also, feline AIDS is the leading cause of death among domestic cats.

What needs to be explained? 

He was okay and showed good stick and passing skills. But he has regressed. 

In speed his top speed was 21.60 just above league average for defensemen. 33 20-22 bursts. League avg was 26. 396 18-20 bursts. 63rd percentile. 

This year his top speed is 21.27. Below avg. 20-22 bursts 18, league avg is 20 so far. 18-20 mph bursts, 220. 50th percentile. 

Those numbers should be better not worse. And he has skated poorly this year. Whatever one wants to say about last year. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Did he try to shoot hard for once and broke both of his wrists?

26 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

"The Sabres used to suck. They still do, but they used to too."

~ Mitch Hedberg, probably

100% Hedberg

53 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Owen Power will be fine.

He wil lbe in the Norris conversation for the next 10 years after next year.

He will be a stud on D by the time he is 25.  Dahlin too.

At 21 he is still a boy playing in a man's league.

Prove it 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 3

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Owen Power will be fine.

He wil lbe in the Norris conversation for the next 10 years after next year.

He will be a stud on D by the time he is 25.  Dahlin too.

At 21 he is still a boy playing in a man's league.

I can’t believe he’s only 21.

On a real team, he’d be in the A for another two seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Prove it 

The predictions about Dahlin's Norri seemed spot on.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

So now we are demanding proof of predictions? Got this place has really gone into the shitter. 

Save us, Ullie!

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

So now we are demanding proof of predictions? Got this place has really gone into the shitter. 

BTW, the way I refer to X, formerly known as Twitter, is as Xitter with the pronunciation of the last word.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Not really he'd be more sheltered on the 3rd pair but his 1st Overall status would put him in the NHL rather soon.

Where he would play and what ice time he would get on a good team is a hypothetical that can't really be answered, but what bothers me is this coaching staff rarely if ever talks about the need for improvement and they don't sit any of these guys even when they suck in a game. Zero accountability and a very low standard. Power just gets to play and learn (?) from his mistakes.

I contrast that with Torts who has had Drysdale sit several nights since they got him and although Torts has also praised him he's said quite clearly "there's a lot of work to do on this guy". Now I know Drysdale wasn't a first overall and they are not the same (Power should be better) but the standard and the development path differences are huge and significant. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Considering Dahlin's age, for sure he will be a Nirris candidate for many years to come (just not sure with which team). As for Power, Hedman looked awful for many games with Tampa when he started at a young age too. Now? If Power turns out anywhere near as good as Hedman he will be great.

15 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The problem is, OP's performance in his first full season didn't warrant the contract he got. IMO, nothing he did last year projected out at much more than $8.5M per, even if he improved year to year. If he was tougher... maybe. The 1st OA is what we payed for, even though it was a weak draft year.

I agree with the above. Even when people on this board and general fans were saying how good he was, I didn't just see it. He was good for a teenager, but he wasn't good for an NHL defenseman.

However, I still think he'll be worth the contract in the long run. Do I know for sure? No, but I am of the firm belief that,  with a couple exceptions, NHL defenseman don't round into the player They're going to be until they have a couple hundred games under their belt.

I think Power will be very good, maybe great, but we won't see it for another 2 years at least. My hope is he turns things around and starts playing better, and it's a gradual increase in play until he reaches that very good to great level.

16 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Those numbers should be better not worse. And he has skated poorly this year. Whatever one wants to say about last year. 

Not necessarily.  If a player's head is screwed on right and he's playing better positional hockey, skating around like a chicken with his head cut off is unnecessary.  I bet Nick Lidstrom rarely broke 20; he simply didn't need to.

14 hours ago, SwampD said:

I can’t believe he’s only 21.

On a real team, he’d be in the A for another two seasons.

Dahlin is an almost 6 year vet at 23.

He would be in his rockie or second year on a real team.

These two are really going to be something at 25 to 32+.

Adams is going to look like a genius for locking both up long-term.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.