Practice Lines 2/5/24

Brawndo

47 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Okposo on first line lol 

70s-show-crying.gif

Makes sense on a certain level.  Gets the slow guy off the 4th line so theoretically that line will be better at pressuring whomever they're against.  Also doesn't mess with the 2nd or 3rd line which have been going well though in very short samples. 

And Skinner pretty much does his own thing, Thompson still hasn't been fully back to form though hopefully this extra week and a half off will help him get back to there but even when he is at the top of his game he has 2 scoring modes - 1 timer and do his own thing and dangle through and around the D and goalie.  Okposo can pass well enough to set up an occassional 1 timer when he gets the puck and he's better along the boards than either of those other 2 guys.  Plus, he should be rested and might have an extra pace to his stride (at least for a game or 2).  But when 2/3's of the line do their own thing, does the 3rd member of the line really matter ALL that much?

Not the expected deployment of the troops now that Quinn is out until late March at the earliest.  But they could've come up with dumber lines.

Edited by Taro T
  • Haha (+1) 1

I like the Mitts line.

Benson is a drop off from Quinn on that line but Cozens was starting to improve and JJP has been good.

KO will have a hard time on that line, wanting to go north south while TNT goes east west trying to dangle through 5 guys. At least KO cares about D play.

4th line is OK, better Robinson than VO for that role.

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Power - Clifton
Ryan Johnson - Erik Johnson
Bryson rotated in

So he moved Bryson back down to 7D after yesterday's practice.  I wonder if EJ was not ready for a full workout (he had some lingering injury, no?)

I wonder if they rotate in Robinson, Krebs, or Girgensons on that top line if Okposo needs the odd shift off.l

As I typed that, it hit me that this might be the ideal time to get Krebs playing with more skilled guys to see if something gets unlocked 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I wonder if they rotate in Robinson, Krebs, or Girgensons on that top line if Okposo needs the odd shift off.l

As I typed that, it hit me that this might be the ideal time to get Krebs playing with more skilled guys to see if something gets unlocked 

At this point, is there really all that much to lose? I still feel like there is something in the tenacity he sometimes displays that means there could be more to him?

• Like (+1) 1

Okposo on the first line make little sense to me. I would move Tuch back up to the first line and put Olofsson on the Mitts line. At this stage in his career, Okposo is a fourth liner. The Quinn injury had ramifications for all the lines. It was a consequential loss. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I would fully expect that line to be 3rd in 5v5 minutes, not first.

I can see the logic but its pretty sad.  Quinn out, and we have Tage and Skinner on he 3rd line (minutes wise) with KO.  

So happy that we have that pipeline of Olofsson and Robinson ready to deploy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Thinking back to the 2005-7 teams, how far away are the prospects in Rochester that they could play effectively in middle-6 roles for an extended period of time?  It is tragicomical that the line-up can look so much worse when 1 top-9 forward gets hurt.  Who can be Stafford, Paille, MacArthur, Novotny, or even Kaleta?

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Okposo on the first line make little sense to me. I would move Tuch back up to the first line and put Olofsson on the Mitts line. At this stage in his career, Okposo is a fourth liner. The Quinn injury had ramifications for all the lines. It was a consequential loss. 

Good grief. KO with TT and Skinner ?  sigh..

Call up Kulich. I need to have some long term hope and he can finish. I get the age thingy.  

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Good grief. KO with TT and Skinner ?  sigh..

Call up Kulich. I need to have some long term hope and he can finish. I get the age thingy.  

Even if the front office prefers to keep Kulich in the AHL, I just think that there are better options for the first line. I would rather re-assemble the first line with Tage in between Tuch and Skinner, and move Mitts onto the second line as either a center or winger with JJ and Cozens. It just seems to me that with Okposo on the first line you are suppressing the offense and I'm not sure that he could keep up with his line-mates. 

Injuries are part of the game. However, the Quinn injury seems to have reverberated throughout all the lines. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Even if the front office prefers to keep Kulich in the AHL, I just think that there are better options for the first line. I would rather re-assemble the first line with Tage in between Tuch and Skinner, and move Mitts onto the second line as either a center or winger with JJ and Cozens. It just seems to me that with Okposo on the first line you are suppressing the offense and I'm not sure that he could keep up with his line-mates. 

Injuries are part of the game. However, the Quinn injury seems to have reverberated throughout all the lines. 

One of the reasons for that is that we keep a guy like VO on the roster all season but he can't crack the line up ever so why is he here??? It's as ridiculous as the 3 goalie situation was. 

Where's the half dozen fringe NHL vets that can be called up when needed and/or waived and sent back down when not needed? Other teams have them. If the kids aren't ready for call ups the organization HAS to have those guys. 

We don't have any more injuries than any other team (at times) so for the roster to look this bad with a few guys out is just ridiculous and the GM didn't do his job.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.