GDT: Blackhawks @ Sabres - Thu Jan 18, 2024, 7:00 pm ET MSG-B, NBCSCH 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

5 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I’m glad we won but these are bottom feeder near AHL teams. Not jumping up and down yet. 

Can't argue with that.  Next 4 games, if they can get 6 of the next 8 points....You will have my interest back at the all star break.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I just don't understand why someone in the front office doesn't take the bull by the horns and try to create a fan section in the stadium 

I know it's possible for Americans to emulate the European experience as they do it in the MLS.  

would bring so much more to the live experience 

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Love the optimism, but the lever has been pushed and we're swirling the drain

Woody, I’m concerned. You are constantly harping and seem intentionally negative.
You have that right. The org deserves that.  

But the Sabres have won 5 of 7, and the two losses were against the two hottest teams in the NHL. 

I am in no way making any excuses for the last 12 years, and I don’t think the Sabres were excellent tonight…but I submit to you to try and enjoy the wins. Go Sabres!

Now onto beating the Bolts!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Yay, team. Great stretch for UPL. I'm not convinced, though, unfortunately, as he's still over-committing on some of his plays. The positive side is that means he's getting support from his team in those instances. Mitts has been making bone-headed Mitts passes lately as well. I'll balance that with I'm noticing more team aggression on the boards especially in the defensive zone which is good. 

We'll see how they look when they face a decent team but for now it's nice to finally have some solid victories.

Edited by ...
Y

Obviously, UPL gets the first star. 

The Sabres played a simplified game, mostly north/south. Nothing fancy, mostly workmanlike. 

Girgs plays a hard and fast game. He's one of the hardest workers on the team. 

I like Benson's game. He gives us more offensive net presence than anyone else on the team. When Dahlin got a deflection off of a Hawk stick for a goal, Benson was in front of the net. 

There isn't too much to analyze in this game. The superior team controlled the play. When the Hawks shot there wasn't much follow-up. One and done with our defense retrieving the puck. 

A win is a win. The biggest takeaway is that UPL seems to have solidified his position as our #1 goalie. He's a big goalie who plays big with an economy of motion. He's well position and is playing under control with no scrambling. Right now, he is a very confident goalie. 

We need to finish this extended homestand with a win against a team that is much superior to the team we played tonight. I will consider this homestand a success if we beat Tampa. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

He went to the room, but yeah he milked it. The only guy who consistently steps up for people gets run and you're ok with NOBODY standing up for him in a game they were going to win no matter what. Ok man. If there were ever a team and a situation where you could do something and not worry about consequences it was just then. The children weren't interested.

And we talked about playoffs for this team. If you can't stand up to the Blackhawks in January how on Earth can you deal with the Bruins in April? Sometimes you have to take the first step. They didn't. Again.

I understand the sentiment.  I look at the roster and they don’t have the guys to do that.  A few can and should.   missed that part of the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Blind squirrel, meet nut. 

I mean, I'm happy for him, truly

I still dislike this current sabres team. They don't have, it. Whatever that is

I hope they prove you wrong and climb into it.

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Woody, I’m concerned. You are constantly harping and seem intentionally negative.
You have that right. The org deserves that.  

But the Sabres have won 5 of 7, and the two losses were against the two hottest teams in the NHL. 

I am in no way making any excuses for the last 12 years, and I don’t think the Sabres were excellent tonight…but I submit to you to try and enjoy the wins. Go Sabres!

Now onto beating the Bolts!!

Not overly intentionally, they just aren't getting my hockey blood pumping anymore. I used to love it, love the game, love the freaking sabres. I flew to Sweden to see them lay an egg in Stockholm. 

What I see now, most nights is just not a team. I don't need 1970s brawling, but I do need to see more than I did tonight. 

I see a GM choke again, I see VO getting ice time when he should be on a bus in the Ahl. A PP that still stands still and have no clue, the only goal we got was a lucky play Off a defender. 

Maybe they'll flip a switch and start on fire, but I've seen this show before too many times, 12 years is the breaking point it appears

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I hope they prove you wrong and climb into it.

I hope they prove me wrong too. I just think they have buried themselves too far. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Blind squirrel, meet nut. 

I mean, I'm happy for him, truly

I still dislike this current sabres team. They don't have, it. Whatever that is

I pretty much feel the same way. This team is missing pieces. But as one of his harshest critics since he was playing like crap with the Amerks, I’m that much more happy for Oopie’s recent turnaround and I hope he continues to make a liar out of me. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I just don't understand why someone in the front office doesn't take the bull by the horns and try to create a fan section in the stadium 

I know it's possible for Americans to emulate the European experience as they do it in the MLS.  

would bring so much more to the live experience 

The Sabres home games are far behind in the fan experience.   I go and they rarely win, there is very little energy, the place is dark and dull.  

Really needs a Bills Mafia type of following to catch on with the young people, of course the team has to earn it and be consistently successful for that to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Weird stat of the season.  The Sabres’ 18 RW are tied for 5th in the East behind Florida (24), NYR (23), Bos (22) and Car (19).  TB, NJ and Pit also have 18.  

Teams in a playoff spot Tor (14), Det (17), and Phil (17) all have less.

The Sabres, 6-4, in their last 10, are still 7th in the Atlantic and 8th in the East WC standings.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.