GDT: Blackhawks @ Sabres - Thu Jan 18, 2024, 7:00 pm ET MSG-B, NBCSCH 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I somewhat recently heard Granato say that the principal difference between this year's team and last year's team is the power play. That the even strength goals are about the same.

Is this true?

It's incredible to me that there's been no change with the assistant coach who's responsible for the power play.

Not at all.  As designed, the power play has few variations in configurations, set-ups, modes of attack, and targets.  If even I can figure it out and dream up schemes to disrupt it, surely a pro coach can do better.  Until it evolves or the Sabres create new variations to run, I expect the power play to underperform.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Your deep doghouse has rehabilitated a number of players on this team. Mitts was chained to the house, and due to your constant whipping, he successfully rehabbed. Clinton was chained to your punishing shack house for a spell, and then he seemed to recover his game. UPL is a big fellow who required a bigger dog- house to get in. Your rehab tools (whip?) seemed to have worked on him.  Who is your next candidate to occupy your rehabilitation facility? It's working. Keep up the good work. The old school stern schoolmaster is a catholic school tradition. It works. I got the scars to prove it. 😃

7634014C-45C8-4781-9BAA-A33793D024C3.thumb.webp.ac8c28922de2cf3911effb9cd60fb343.webp

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Not at all.  As designed, the power play has few variations in configurations, set-ups, modes of attack, and targets.  If even I can figure it out and dream up schemes to disrupt it, surely a pro coach can do better.  Until it evolves or the Sabres create new variations to run, I expect the power play to underperform.

Teaching offense is hard

I heard somewhere 

• Haha (+1) 1

You can't deny that good goaltending can change a games outcome. In the not too distant past our goaltending would have let in three goals on the odd man rushes and our team would be discouraged and we would have lost the game 5-2. 

Oh what could have been these past 3-4 seasons with good goaltending. 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I somewhat recently heard Granato say that the principal difference between this year's team and last year's team is the power play. That the even strength goals are about the same.

Is this true?

It's incredible to me that there's been no change with the assistant coach who's responsible for the power play.

idk the stats, but what I do see is that it has the same problems it's had for quite a while. and it's a reflection of how the team plays in general. Perimeter possession, easily kept to the outside with predictable low danger shots and way too much reliance on Dahlin as the central focus. 

I watch Boston a lot as you know, and their PP has flaws, but it's pretty good. They also rely on one guy a lot (Pasternak) but their motion isn't around the edges, it's cross ice and EVERYBODY goes to the net. It's not that difficult to fix, but you have to have players who go to the front and take the punishment. If you don't, it'll never get where it needs to be. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

perhaps i was unclear. I meant power play production (goals) is the difference between last season and this season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.