GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Buffalo Sabres 4 pm MSG radio 550 am

bob_sauve28

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why would you expect many fans in the arena cheering for Vancouver? I can understand a large contingent of fans in our arena cheering for Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, NY and Boston due to proximity, students from respective areas and transplants. But why Vancouver?

It's inarguable that much more was expected from this team causing so much hostility and resentment. As you seem to be alluding to: this has not become a pleasant place to visit. That's sad and disappointing. 

I will be at the game today and I will cheer for the Sabres, win or lose.  I don't boo my team.  I root for my team.  I may not like how they are doing at the moment, but the Sabres will always be my team and I will root for them.  It's better for the team, and more importantly, it's better for my own mental health and well being.  Go Sabres!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, RangerDave said:

I will be at the game today and I will cheer for the Sabres, win or lose.  I don't boo my team.  I root for my team.  I may not like how they are doing at the moment, but the Sabres will always be my team and I will root for them.  It's better for the team, and more importantly, it's better for my own mental health and well being.  Go Sabres!

I haven't given up on this team. However, so far, they have been a disappointment. They haven't come close to matching expectations. What's been most exasperating about this team is that there have been too many lulls in their play. This is a critical home stand where they have to start stacking points. They have to show more urgency because although only at the half point, this season is slipping away. There are so many teams that they haven't to pass to get into the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Why would you expect many fans in the arena cheering for Vancouver? I can understand a large contingent of fans in our arena cheering for Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, NY and Boston due to proximity, students from respective areas and transplants. But why Vancouver?

It's inarguable that much more was expected from this team causing so much hostility and resentment. As you seem to be alluding to: this has not become a pleasant place to visit. That's sad and disappointing. 

Because I have been going to games in Buffalo forever, and Canadian fans, even if from Ontario and Quebec, have cheered for the Canucks against us. Maybe more so when we had good teams.  We will find out soon enough.  

It is sad that the season hangs in the balance in mid January once again.  Very sad. 

At least we have the Bills. 

40 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I think Vancouver started their rebuild after us and here we are...

I'm curious. How much did their roster turnover the last two seasons, and how did they arrive in Vancouver? Trades or free agency? What move do you think turned their fortunes around?

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm curious. How much did their roster turnover the last two seasons, and how did they arrive in Vancouver? Trades or free agency? What move do you think turned their fortunes around?

Tocchet has been the biggest factor imo. The lineup hasn’t changed much, Demko is healthy this year though.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Canucks are an interesting case because although they probably should have tanked (and fans begged them to), they didn't. Instead, they went into a slow downward spiral as they hung onto the Sedins through to retirement. They drafted 5th (Juolevi), 5th (Pettersson), and 7th (Quinn) at their worst.

Oddly, they brought in lots of veterans (some with silly contracts by UFA or trade): Loui Eriksson, Jay Beagle, OEL) to remain competitive even as they failed scuffled. Also, lots of ex-Sabres wound their way through: Miller, Vanek, and Myers notably. Justin Bailey, Tim Schaller, and Curtis Lazar less so.

Their changes from last season (in addition to continued growth from their home run picks of Pettersson, Q Hughes, and Demko) are:

• Hronek (instead of OEL) - via trade
  • The really engaged version of JT Miller (as opposed to just worrying about points)
  • Healthy Demko
  • Unheralded UFA pickups like Pius Suter and Sam Lafferty to help solidify the bottom 6.
  • Remaking the D-corps: Soucy, Zadorov (in a 3rd pair role), and finally Hronek again

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I think Vancouver started their rebuild after us and here we are...

Hard to judge that. They had a different situation with cap problems but if you put that date at the upper management change then yes, they started after us and we were roughly equal with them at the time I think. 

Despite living in BC I have not seen them much this year so I am interested to see how they play. Just how much does coaching matter? I think a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

The Canucks are an interesting case because although they probably should have tanked (and fans begged them to), they didn't. Instead, they went into a slow downward spiral as they hung onto the Sedins through to retirement. They drafted 5th (Juolevi), 5th (Pettersson), and 7th (Quinn) at their worst.

Oddly, they brought in lots of veterans (some with silly contracts by UFA or trade): Loui Eriksson, Jay Beagle, OEL) to remain competitive even as they failed. Also, lots of ex-Sabres wound their way through: Miller, Vanek, and Myers notably. Justin Bailey, Tim Schaller, and Curtis Lazar less so.

Their changes from last season (in addition to continued growth from their home run picks of Pettersson, Q Hughes, and Demko) are:

• Hronek (instead of OEL) - via trade
  • The really engaged version of JT Miller (as opposed to just worrying about points)
  • Healthy Demko
  • Unheralded UFA pickups like Pius Suter and Sam Lafferty to help solidify the bottom 6.
  • Remaking the D-corps: Soucy, Zadorov (in a 3rd pair role), and finally Hronek again

Hronek's acquisition can not be underestimated.  Imagine if Power, Dahlin, and Samuelsson had had proper partners.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

You don’t need to do this 

beating GIF

Well, sometimes you do, each team's circumstances are different. I'm still on board with being patient with this young group. If it takes another year to have a group that will win consistently for years its worth it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.