Greenway on the market ?

Two or less

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't trade Greenway because, although he does not play to his size or tough enough for what I want on our bottom 6, he does bring elements that are sorely lacking in many of our offensively leaning forwards. Like his PK ability. 

This expresses exactly my thoughts on him. And what benefit would we get in return? Wish he were more physical and intimidating with his size but his PK play has been exceptional. That’s probably one reason teams have an interest. But we don’t need more draft picks. We need players ready to go now and the next 2-3 seasons. 

• Agree 2

On 1/9/2024 at 9:28 PM, Contempt said:

He's also the host house for the video game crew of a team that sucks at home.

I don't need him to coach my team, but every now and again there is value in asking "What would John Tortorella do?" I'm pretty certain Mitts would not be on Torts' "keep" list.

I am amazed at everyone's obsession with 20-something year old dudes playing video games. WTF else you think 20-something year old dudes do in their spare time?! I swear to some sort of deity, if someone says "practicing hockey" - I am going to pound the keys on my keyboard even harder next time! No athlete, at any level, can practice 24-7 ... I would wager that Josh Allen, Connor McJesus, (some good at hitty stick guy), and (whomever the best bouncy ball guy currently is) also play video games if they are not an older, stick in the mud, head up their butt, "in my day, we went outside and played" type. For the record, in my day, we did go outside and play ... but that is not the world any more. 🤷‍♀️

End rant - we now return you to your regularly scheduled screaming into the void ...

11 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I am amazed at everyone's obsession with 20-something year old dudes playing video games. WTF else you think 20-something year old dudes do in their spare time?! I swear to some sort of deity, if someone says "practicing hockey" - I am going to pound the keys on my keyboard even harder next time! No athlete, at any level, can practice 24-7 ... I would wager that Josh Allen, Connor McJesus, (some good at hitty stick guy), and (whomever the best bouncy ball guy currently is) also play video games if they are not an older, stick in the mud, head up their butt, "in my day, we went outside and played" type. For the record, in my day, we did go outside and play ... but that is not the world any more. 🤷‍♀️

End rant - we now return you to your regularly scheduled screaming into the void ...

My issue stems from one of those Sabres produced videos. Multiple players identified Mitts house as the place they all go to play. Dahlin moved out of that house and immediately improved. The team stinks at home and has done so for awhile.

It's not about the video games per se. If we identified that Mitts and a group of other important players were closing down bars every night at home then playing poor hockey afterward we'd have no problem pointing that out. So they aren't closing down bars, but they're up until 4am playing COD with Mitts and the boys instead, then playing poor hockey at home.

Maybe I'm wrong and this isn't what's happening. Maybe they are all acting like responsible adults at home. Normally I'd say it's young kids out partying too much, but it doesn't seem to happen on the road, or in obvious places like Las Vegas.

You know what doesn't travel with the player? The nice gaming PC.

Edited by Contempt

1 minute ago, Contempt said:

My issue stems from one of those Sabres produced videos. Multiple players identified Mitts house as the place they all go to play. Dahlin moved out of that house and immediately improved. The team stinks at home and has done so for awhile.

It's not about the video games per se. If we identified that Mitts and a group of other important players were closing down bars every night at home then playing poor hockey afterward we'd have no problem pointing that out. So they aren't closing down bars, but they're up until 4am playing COD with Mitts and the boys instead, then playing poor hockey at home.

Maybe I'm wrong and this isn't what's happening. Maybe they are all acting like responsible adults at home. Normally I'd say it's young kids out partying too much, but it doesn't seem to happen on the road, or in obvious places like Las Vegas.

<angry typing noises> oh wait ... that pretty much makes sense. The one counter-point I would have is that Mitts has clearly gotten better - he has obviously been able to put in the work and still host some bangin' COD parties (I started to type LAN party because I am not young, but remembered that is no longer a thing.)

As long as the anger are ire would be equally strong if they were wiling away the hours playing Magic the Gathering (like my stupid roommate in college), watching Real Housewives of Somewhere, or MTV's Real World vs. Road Rules reruns, then I have no further issues, your Honor.

23 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

<angry typing noises> oh wait ... that pretty much makes sense. The one counter-point I would have is that Mitts has clearly gotten better - he has obviously been able to put in the work and still host some bangin' COD parties (I started to type LAN party because I am not young, but remembered that is no longer a thing.)

data center network GIF

(My first LAN parties were before we had cat5, 10base-2 was a nightmare)

Edited by MattPie
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't trade Greenway because, although he does not play to his size or tough enough for what I want on our bottom 6, he does bring elements that are sorely lacking in many of our offensively leaning forwards. Like his PK ability. 

I disagree that he doesn't play to his size. He's certainly not a thumper but he is a big player who plays strong. He doesn't get bumped off the puck or his position. I don't want to overrate his talents but as you have acknowledged he gives us a physical/big presence that this roster lacks. And, as you have also noted his PK is more than solid. 

KA gets a lot of justifiable criticisms. However, the acquisition of Greenway for a second-round pick that was acquired in the Eichel deal was a good value deal that better rounded out our roster.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No he didn't. This thread is based on nothing. Literally nothing. 

These threads are the exact reason why so many of us push back so hard on the “Trade rumors threads”.  It’s almost all morons with no facts at all, just dreaming up their favorite fantasy trades. Not anything based in reality.  Then someone jumps 3 pages in and assumes that a deal is imminent.  Just complete stupidity. 

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

These threads are the exact reason why so many of us push back so hard on the “Trade rumors threads”.  It’s almost all morons with no facts at all, just dreaming up their favorite fantasy trades. Not anything based in reality.  Then someone jumps 3 pages in and assumes that a deal is imminent.  Just complete stupidity. 

The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

I agree with you that this particular "rumor" thread was based on nothing factual. On the other hand, the issue of Greenway's value to the team is worth discussing. Is the value issue more appropriate in another thread? Maybe so? How many Mitts trade scenarios have been discussed here when there were no factual indications that the organization had any interest in dealing him? Some people are sticklers to adhering to the topic as written. I'm not one of them. I see nothing wrong with taking a topic and expanding it a little. 

Before calling something a rumour that came from an article, read the article first.

In this case, this was a fan of another team, erm, journalist who was musing that Greenway might be available.  Hockey talking heads make the days go by with endless musings, speculation, and other dross that, because of their supposed profession, they masquerade as rumours.  I give this as much credibility as fan trade suggestions on HFBoards.

3 hours ago, Contempt said:

You know what doesn't travel with the player? The nice gaming PC.

Hockey players drinking, smoking, and partying all night is the stuff of legend and it still goes on today.  Usually more on the road.  

The Eichel/Kane/Reinhart crew were party animals, especially on the road.  Lehner had his own private drinking issues.  Bogo and ROR partied a lot   That crew is gone and replaced by choir boys in comparison.  

What we have today is a bunch of young kids playing video games and hanging out, competing with each other   

Thompson stays home with his family and has for years.  Tuch, the same now.  Dahlin/Mitts and the younger gang like to play and have fun but are basically choir boys in comparison to what they could be doing. 

The issue with losing at home is DISTRACTION and mental weakness.  Sure the home arena environment can suck at times, and that puts pressure on - that is something they need to turn around and savor.   Do they want the love from the fans that the Bills get?  Earn it by winning at home.   Make every home game Muscle Weight.  Be pissed to lose at home. NEVER lose 2 in a row at home.  

The coach needs to stomp on their azzes to get them focused and ready.  There is no reason they play better on the road than at home unless it takes them away from comfort zone distractions at home.   

The often used word “accountability” - players to each other and their coach, coach to FO/GM, GM to Terry, Terry to the fans.   We don’t have it. 

The Blues owner directed his GM to fire a popular Cup winning coach because he feared missing the playoffs two years in a row, which they still might do, but at least he will learn if the next guy in line can do it.   Imagine the numbness fans in Buffalo feel after 12-13 years.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I disagree that he doesn't play to his size. He's certainly not a thumper but he is a big player who plays strong. He doesn't get bumped off the puck or his position. I don't want to overrate his talents but as you have acknowledged he gives us a physical/big presence that this roster lacks. And, as you have also noted his PK is more than solid. 

KA gets a lot of justifiable criticisms. However, the acquisition of Greenway for a second-round pick that was acquired in the Eichel deal was a good value deal that better rounded out our roster.

I agree, but he should be more physical than he is to be truly effective. Pretty sure this is why Minnesota felt they could ditch him. Not physical enough and they already have more physical guys for those roles. Not good value for what they were paying him and their cap structure. 

I have zero problems with the trade of a 2nd for him. He's overpaid for what he brings but we have cap room so don't care about that. I'd gladly trade another 2nd for a good face off/PK guy to pair with him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree, but he should be more physical than he is to be truly effective. Pretty sure this is why Minnesota felt they could ditch him. Not physical enough and they already have more physical guys for those roles. Not good value for what they were paying him and their cap structure. 

I have zero problems with the trade of a 2nd for him. He's overpaid for what he brings but we have cap room so don't care about that. I'd gladly trade another 2nd for a good face off/PK guy to pair with him. 

I have no problem using a 2nd round pick to pair with him or using the pick for another solid NHL player.

On the other hand, I disagree with you regarding his value to cap ratio. This was a solid deal that benefited this team. He adds a style of strong play and big presence that was lacking on this team. It should be noted that it was the HC who worked with him prior to the pros who pushed for this deal. And breaking away from the topic on hand, I would say that the Clifton and Johnson deal have proved out to be solid deals that helped shore up this problematic blue line unit. I realize that it took some time for Clifton to find his comfort level. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.