Greenway on the market ?

Two or less

You wanna know why I think we should use the other assets we have and not Greenway to find a top 4 defender? Because we need Greenway in our top 12 and I am sick of trading NHL players for future maybes and a 2nd round pick has about a 20% chance to be an NHL player, just a player, let alone as good as Greenway can be.

We should keep Greenway and try to make the playoffs next year. Considering he isn't on the market as the OP claims in their title and it is just Vancouver writers picking guys they want, I am not concerned about this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why should a team with every single guy in their top 9 under 26 accept Skinner want more picks when they still have Kulich, Östlund, Savoie, and Rose, Wahlberg, Strbak, Novikov, etc... in their prospect pool, why? What in hell does ditching Greenway so we have a 2nd and a 3rd do for us? Don't say for a trade because I can use Buffalo's 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2024 right now for that without doing anything. You can literally package those picks already because we have them with Greenway for example for someone of value. 

Also for the love of zeus's caboose, next time you mention trading for Moritz Seider I am going to call for you to be banned, Connor McDavid is more likely to be traded than Seider. Im sorry do I see Luke Hughes now as well? Holy crap man this isn't even borderline realistic. You wanna know what a Seider trade looks like... Owen Power, Jiri Kulich, One of (Peterka/Quinn/Cozens/Benson) and a 2nd (because Yzerman loves that kid and it is their #1 defender). Hard pass. You listing "A 1st, 2nd, and a prospect is the max reasonable payout." is insane. Wookie wouldn't even suggest that for Seider, Hughes, or Bouchard. I get these are just names you are tossing out but find realistic ones. Corson Ceulemans is a realistic RFA guy you could trade a 2nd and prospect for, not Mortiz Seider. Yzerman would crawl over broken glass while on fire to keep Seider on his team. 

You put up two 1sts and two 2nds for a first. That's insanity. We got less back for Sam Reinhart, Jack Eichel, and ROR who are better players than Seider, Hughes, and Bouchard.

Work it down the list if those targets aren't available. Romanov, Hague, Miller, Drysdale. They're all pretty decent and no way they cost two 1sts and two 2nds. Max 1 first, a second, and a prospect.

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You wanna know why I think we should use the other assets we have and not Greenway to find a top 4 defender? Because we need Greenway in our top 12 and I am sick of trading NHL players for future maybes and a 2nd round pick has about a 20% chance to be an NHL player, just a player, let alone as good as Greenway can be.

We should keep Greenway and try to make the playoffs next year. Considering he isn't on the market as the OP claims in their title and it is just Vancouver writers picking guys they want, I am not concerned about this. 

He really isn't that good. I think you are overvaluing a guy who can easily be replaced for less, and who likely isn't resigning. It would be a smart value move to get something for him now (if) someone will overpay.

Edited by seer775

When was Greenway waived?  Robinson was waived and then traded for, but we traded the LV 2nd rd pick (and a 5th in 2024) for Greenway with two years remaining on his deal.  He'll have one year left on his contract after this season.

I'm in no hurry to trade Greenway, but if trading him helps get us a legit top 4 D than so be it.  However, I think our prime assets to acquire a top 4 D are 2 of Kulich, Rosen, Östlund, and Savoie plus our 1st (top 5 protected) in 2024.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, seer775 said:

You put up two 1sts and two 2nds for a first. That's insanity. We got less back for Sam Reinhart, Jack Eichel, and ROR who are better players than Seider, Hughes, and Bouchard.

Work it down the list if those targets aren't available. Romanov, Hague, Miller, Drysdale. They're all pretty decent and no way they cost two 1sts and two 2nds. Max 1 first, a second, and a prospect.

Yea, because Yzerman is not trading Seider. It just isn't happening. And no, we got more for Eichel (3 1sts and a 2nd). The ROR trade was garbage and should be used for the basis of nothing. 

Drysdale was traded yesterday so he isn't getting traded again. Which Miller? There's like 4 I can think of. None of the guys you listed Romanov, Hague, and Miller am I inclined to trade a 1st and a 2nd and a prospect for. That's my own personal taste, especially when our 2024 1st is going to be in top 10 in a very defense heavy draft. Romanov is worth a 2nd and maybe a B prospect like Polatpov or something. Hague same thing. I am going to guess Miller is K'andre Miller and that is a player I think is worth what you are suggesting. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, because Yzerman is not trading Seider. It just isn't happening. And no, we got more for Eichel (3 1sts and a 2nd). The ROR trade was garbage and should be used for the basis of nothing. 

Drysdale was traded yesterday so he isn't getting traded again. Which Miller? There's like 4 I can think of. None of the guys you listed Romanov, Hague, and Miller am I inclined to trade a 1st and a 2nd and a prospect for. That's my own personal taste, especially when our 2024 1st is going to be in top 10 in a very defense heavy draft. Romanov is worth a 2nd and maybe a B prospect like Polatpov or something. Hague same thing. I am going to guess Miller is K'andre Miller and that is a player I think is worth what you are suggesting. 

Correct.

Again, each of those players is better than Bouchard, Seider, and Hughes.

Anyone can be traded. Stevie Y knows this. He was no stranger to making bold moves for players while he was the TBL GM (Sergachev, for example).

Yes it will cost a lot for anyone worthwhile. But that's the whole point of making the trade in the first place. Doing whatever it takes to get a solid top 4 Dman that we can keep for a while, without giving away everything, is a priority for this club.

Jordan Greenway is not the solution to making the playoffs this year or the next. A competent defense is. That means anything and everything is on the table, especially pending UFAs.

Edited by seer775

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

When was Greenway waived?  Robinson was waived and then traded for, but we traded the LV 2nd rd pick (and a 5th in 2024) for Greenway with two years remaining on his deal.  He'll have one year left on his contract after this season.

I'm in no hurry to trade Greenway, but if trading him helps get us a legit top 4 D than so be it.  However, I think our prime assets to acquire a top 4 D are 2 of Kulich, Rosen, Östlund, and Savoie plus our 1st (top 5 protected) in 2024.  

Sure but what name you got. Because if we are trading a 2024 1st and Kulich, they better be really good and idk why a team would trade that type of player. Again, the only name I can come up with is Corson Ceulemans out of Columbus (who isn't worth that or that level of guy) because CBJ have 27 other RHD. Now if CBJ want to trade David Jiricek... well now you have my attention. 

The only way I am trading Greenway is if I am upgrading the exact need in the forward group.

This team is built lopsided.  Greenway is the only real heavy player in the lineup right now.  There are a couple with the physical assets to do it, but the personality is lacking.  Greenway does it, does it well, and is comfortable with doing it.  If we move Greenway without directly replacing it our forward group will be negatively affected.  

If the GM senses that he won’t resign when his contract ends, the right move for this team is to trade him IN THE OFFSEASON when we have the opportunity to tweak the forward group to better balance it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, seer775 said:

Correct.

Again, each of those players is better than Bouchard, Seider, and Hughes.

Anyone can be traded. Stevie Y knows this. He was no stranger to making bold moves for players while he was the TBL GM (Sergachev, for example).

Yes it will cost a lot for anyone worthwhile. But that's the whole point of making the trade in the first place. Doing whatever it takes to get a solid top 4 Dman that we can keep for a while, without giving away everything, is a priority for this club.

Jordan Greenway is not the solution to making the playoffs this year or the next. A competent defense is. That means anything and everything is on the table, especially pending UFAs.

Umm…Jordan Greenway is our most competent defensive forward.  Guys listed as defenseman aren’t the only players that need to play defense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, seer775 said:

He really isn't that good. I think you are overvaluing a guy who can easily be replaced for less, and who likely isn't resigning. It would be a smart value move to get something for him now (if) someone will overpay.

You don't get it. It's not overvaluing Greenway. He's with a 2nd maybe, it's understanding that's not worth losing Greenway over. We need nhl players not more picks. We already have picks to trade, we don't need more.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why should a team with every single guy in their top 9 under 26 accept Skinner want more picks when they still have Kulich, Östlund, Savoie, and Rose, Wahlberg, Strbak, Novikov, etc... in their prospect pool, why? What in hell does ditching Greenway so we have a 2nd and a 3rd do for us? Don't say for a trade because I can use Buffalo's 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2024 right now for that without doing anything. You can literally package those picks already because we have them with Greenway for example for someone of value. 

Also for the love of zeus's caboose, next time you mention trading for Moritz Seider I am going to call for you to be banned, Connor McDavid is more likely to be traded than Seider. Im sorry do I see Luke Hughes now as well? Holy crap man this isn't even borderline realistic. You wanna know what a Seider trade looks like... Owen Power, Jiri Kulich, One of (Peterka/Quinn/Cozens/Benson) and a 2nd (because Yzerman loves that kid and it is their #1 defender). Hard pass. You listing "A 1st, 2nd, and a prospect is the max reasonable payout." is insane. Wookie wouldn't even suggest that for Seider, Hughes, or Bouchard. I get these are just names you are tossing out but find realistic ones. Corson Ceulemans is a realistic RFA guy you could trade a 2nd and prospect for, not Mortiz Seider. Yzerman would crawl over broken glass while on fire to keep Seider on his team. 

Not your bow? What about your ax? 

One does not simply walk into a trade for Mortiz 

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

Umm…Jordan Greenway is our most competent defensive forward.  Guys listed as defenseman aren’t the only players that need to play defense.  

That’s why I call defencemen “Backs”’

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure but what name you got. Because if we are trading a 2024 1st and Kulich, they better be really good and idk why a team would trade that type of player. Again, the only name I can come up with is Corson Ceulemans out of Columbus (who isn't worth that or that level of guy) because CBJ have 27 other RHD. Now if CBJ want to trade David Jiricek... well now you have my attention. 

Matt Roy from LA? 

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Where do you see Greenway playing for Buffalo next season?

TNT, Skinner, Tuch, Cozens, JJP, Quinn, and Benson are all top 9 forwards under contract.  When Mitts is re-signed that’s 8 top 9 forwards.  Now if one of Rosen, Kulich or Savoie make the Sabres, the 9 top 9 forwards.  That relegates Greenway to the 4th line.  Is it worth paying Greenway $3 mill to be a 4th liner?  

What if trading Greenway helps get us a 2 way center or a top 4 D, I think KA would have to consider it especially if he believes Greenway to destined to be a 4th line player next season.

"When" Mitts is re-signed? He's a third liner for us who doesn't play physical or kill penalties. Yes, he's our leading scorer on the season. I was valedictorian in Summer School.

I don't dislike him, but are you going to pay him $4-$6M a year with enough forward prospects to replace him at a fraction of the cost? 

He will arguably be Adams' biggest challenge between now and the deadline. 

4 minutes ago, ShadowOnTheDoor said:

"When" Mitts is re-signed? He's a third liner for us who doesn't play physical or kill penalties. Yes, he's our leading scorer on the season. I was valedictorian in Summer School.

I don't dislike him, but are you going to pay him $4-$6M a year with enough forward prospects to replace him at a fraction of the cost? 

He will arguably be Adams' biggest challenge between now and the deadline. 

He's currently centering Skinner and Tuch.

And he leads the team in points. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tyson Jost was centering them two weeks ago. And he's played 10 more games than Thompson and seven more than Tuch. 

Again - good player. But he doesn't fit at the money he'll likely get.  

12 minutes ago, ShadowOnTheDoor said:

Tyson Jost was centering them two weeks ago. And he's played 10 more games than Thompson and seven more than Tuch. 

Again - good player. But he doesn't fit at the money he'll likely get.  

The leading scorer on the team "doesn't fit"?

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

He's a 3M player who plays at 1.5M.  Does he have assets that we need sure, but he's a bottom six overpaid asset that if Donny honestly envisioned using him as a would be third or fourth liner should be slapped.  We gave up two seconds for this injury prone average middle six forward.   He's fine, but if he does so much for our PK that ranks in the bottom third.  Meh.  Get your ass out of Buffalo.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

He's a 3M player who plays at 1.5M.  Does he have assets that we need sure, but he's a bottom six overpaid asset that if Donny honestly envisioned using him as a would be third or fourth liner should be slapped.  We gave up two seconds for this injury prone average middle six forward.   He's fine, but if he does so much for our PK that ranks in the bottom third.  Meh.  Get your ass out of Buffalo.

That's not what we traded for Greenway. 

How can anyone on this team be untouchable?

For the right price, everyone should be available, of course there would be a few that might require the other team to grossly over pay to get.

Its not like they are going anywhere built the way they are, so a 3rd/4th liner should be available and not worry about losing what that player brings to the table because this team isn't going anywhere as its built currently

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He's also the host house for the video game crew of a team that sucks at home.

I don't need him to coach my team, but every now and again there is value in asking "What would John Tortorella do?" I'm pretty certain Mitts would not be on Torts' "keep" list.

Edited by Contempt
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Contempt said:

He's also the host house for the video game crew of a team that sucks at home.

I don't need him to coach my team, but every now and again there is value in asking "What would John Tortorella do?" I'm pretty certain Mitts would not be on Torts' "keep" list.

I think I disagree with this. I think he is one of the few Torts would actually keep. Casey always plays hard and wins board battles. Quinn, Benson, Peterka and maybe even Skinner are among others I think he would also keep. There are probably others, but I just don’t care enough to try and figure out who they might be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.