GDT: Arizona @ Sabres - Mon. 7pm ET, Dec 11, 2023, MSG/ESPN+/SCRIPPS ๐Ÿ“บ WGR ๐Ÿ“ป

Spoonman

5 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Even 1 point would be nice. Nothing in his last 6, 1 goal in last 10 games. Kinda wasting his first year ELC.

Agree from a production standpoint. But holy smokes this kid is going to be GOOD. He is a puck hound and heโ€™s good in tight space. In terms of development, he deserves and needs to be here. Sure his bridge deal might be a bit more expensive, but heโ€™s getting better faster by playing here now. Iโ€™m excited for him maturing sooner by playing this level of competition!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Heโ€™s still contributing with possession, keeping plays alive and a good forechecking mentality.

DG is even using him on the PK and in the last minutes.

I think the points will come when Cozens gets his Mojo back.

It seems rare when Benson has a shift where he is not either stealing the puck or causing a give away with his hustle. Kid knows where to be on the ice as good or better than anyone on the team.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Another good win for the Buffalo Sabres tonight over the Arizona Coyotes. The Sabres are finally getting off to good starts, playing some defense in their own zone which is helping there offensive game where they donโ€™t have to press in my opinion. Go Sabres! Letโ€™s Go Buffaloย 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Agree from a production standpoint. But holy smokes this kid is going to be GOOD. He is a puck hound and heโ€™s good in tight space. In terms of development, he deserves and needs to be here. Sure his bridge deal might be a bit more expensive, but heโ€™s getting better faster by playing here now. Iโ€™m excited for him maturing sooner by playing this level of competition!

Benson is not producing points yet he drives the play.ย  It's kind of like

2022-23 Quinn : 2022-23 JJP :: 2023-24 JJP : 2023-24 Benson

Last year Quinn was the emerging star and JJP was the frustrating wingman- playing well but not seeing the results.ย  This year JJP is the emerging star and Benson is the frustrating wingman.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

As noted by others above, more attempts from in close is a good thing. Not a coincidence that expected and actual goals go up when the blue dots are concentrated low.ย 

ย ArizonaCoyotesvs.BuffaloSabres-MondayDecember112023-MoneyPuck_com.thumb.png.3d7b3205623b026ac1e82b7924fdc5a8.png

But perimeter play allows you to show off your edge work and dangling ability.

• Haha (+1) 2

That was an easy win. Not much fight in those desert doggies. I'd guess their win streak was the hot play of Ingram cause this guy was not very good and they were just plain bad as a whole.ย 

So it's good we took advantage of that for sure. I can't decide if Robinson is actually good (in which case why wasn't he good in Columbus?) or his style just woefully demonstrates how much that was previously lacking on the team as a whole. Guy goes to the net and he opens up space for linemates. Looks like a good solid mucker and gives us more than Girgs did.ย 

Why was Murray called up though? Don't think I've ever seen a hockey player that big play as small as he does. If he's the best option I wonder about our alleged deep prospect pool.ย 

Also, I still find myself wondering why is Comrie on the payroll? What is the point of his existence?

Well, the road trip is a biggie. Pull together and string a win streak together and there might still be hope.ย 

4 hours ago, klos1963 said:

They don't have lower talent. That's why they're in a playoff position right now.

Yeah, I used quotes on the word.. almost like I was not believing the "lower" part of it.ย  :eyeroll:

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

(For those who don't know, this is Layla.ย  Spooner kidnapped her and is holding her hostage)

image.png.863afe9fca643a3b6eb39ed150275f12.png

JFC.. I love dogs.

Didn't watch the game, not after getting worked up in the Habs game with every little mistake.ย  I didn't watch the Bills last night either. Well, I turned it on my phone for 1 minute and in that 1 minute Josh Allen threw an INT.. so I shut that down.

I'll not watch any more games if it means these teams win.

• Sad 1

Mostly a one sided affair for us which was a nice change of pace.

Robinson has been great so far since he knows what he is capable of and embraces it fully.ย 
ย 

My guess is they were hoping to see if Murray could be a net front guy on PP2 but we only had 1 true PP opportunity. Otherwise he is truly a solid AHL player who just doesnโ€™t have the skating speed to compete at this level.ย 
ย 

I think Girgs has been hurt most of the year seeing as the 4th line looks like last year again where Krebs and Girgs would fly around while Okposo would play the trailer/ 3rd man. He may be slow but he still has some vet savvy.ย 
ย 

Levi looked solid, heโ€™d want the 1st goal back but it was off a terrible giveaway. The 2nd was more on his teammates not covering his back. Heโ€™s been last season Levi since returning.ย 
ย 

Team as a whole has looked more akin to their end of season selves in the past three games. Still snakebitten but a threat to whomever plays us. Now play that way over the trip and get 4/5pts out of the trip and really get back into the race. Hopefully the losing streak was akin to March last year and the rest of the season will be the good Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I doubt it will happen, but this should make them realize who their Top 4 D and that Samuelsson, Clifton and Eric Johnson should be the D rotationย 

With the forwards doing their jobs and playing better defensive hockey Clifton has looked more like he did in Boston. You could also see how quick and on target his zone exit passes can be, which is I assume one of the reasons KA wanted him for a system that relies on that stylistically.ย 

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Really, this is all Krebs needed.ย  Okposo is slow and Girgs has hands of stone.ย  It must be discouraging to be put out there between those two and just told to hold down the fort.ย  Robinson brings a dynamic element to the line and gives a reason for Krebs to display his playmaking skills.ย  I could see our fourth line next year been Girgs (or not) - Krebs - Robinson.ย  I think either Girgs or Okie is okay on a line, but both of them together are anchors.

Iโ€™d rather have Greenway in that spotย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I wonder if Ray has a headache today?ย 

ย 

ย 

He said no way when Dunleavy was probing about his brush with greatness aka getting hit in the face with the puck. Ray said it felt great and he loved it with passion. ย Like he really enjoyed it. ย 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

He said no way when Dunleavy was probing about his brush with greatness aka getting hit in the face with the puck. Ray said it felt great and he loved it with passion. ย Like he really enjoyed it. ย 

He did seen genuinely annoyed to have to clean up the blood though. ย Lol

29 minutes ago, inkman said:

He probably felt like he was back in the game.

The trainer patching him up to so he could continue just felt right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Mostly a one sided affair for us which was a nice change of pace.

Robinson has been great so far since he knows what he is capable of and embraces it fully.ย 
ย 

My guess is they were hoping to see if Murray could be a net front guy on PP2 but we only had 1 true PP opportunity. Otherwise he is truly a solid AHL player who just doesnโ€™t have the skating speed to compete at this level.ย 
ย 

I think Girgs has been hurt most of the year seeing as the 4th line looks like last year again where Krebs and Girgs would fly around while Okposo would play the trailer/ 3rd man. He may be slow but he still has some vet savvy.ย 
ย 

Levi looked solid, heโ€™d want the 1st goal back but it was off a terrible giveaway. The 2nd was more on his teammates not covering his back. Heโ€™s been last season Levi since returning.ย 
ย 

Team as a whole has looked more akin to their end of season selves in the past three games. Still snakebitten but a threat to whomever plays us. Now play that way over the trip and get 4/5pts out of the trip and really get back into the race. Hopefully the losing streak was akin to March last year and the rest of the season will be the good Sabres.

The team had reduced the turnovers and odd man rushes so our goalie, like Levi, only has to come up big a handful of times instead of all game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The team had reduced the turnovers and odd man rushes so our goalie, like Levi, only has to come up big a handful of times instead of all game.

Levi played well, but not great.ย  He'd definitely like the 1st one back.

And that leads to the main thing IMHO that he needs to work on.ย  He needs to shrug off what HE considers to be a bad goal.ย  His rebound control right after that was much worse than it was before or after.ย  It's when he gave up the goal to Suzuki vs. Moe-ray-all and when he gave up the 2 SO goals right after the 5 hole.

He's mentally strong enough to be shrugging those off and he's done it in the past.

Clean that up and he's pretty much what management had hoped he'd be heading into the season.

He's already stopped (at least for now) giving up the late goal which was a major issue prior to being sent down.ย  He'll give up a late goal again at some point.ย  Will be interesting if he can keep that goal out of his head when it happens.ย  That, IMHO, will be a huge factor in whether the people that want him developing in Ra-cha-cha get their wish or whether it'll be those wanting to see him helping them win games up here get theirs.ย  If he trusts himself to keep from giving up the late goal, the team will trust him as well.

He's moving well, is anticipating well (heck, the anticipation is why he couldn't stop the goal against in the Bruins game, he was ahead of the pass across and when it went off Johnson's leg he couldn't quite get his glove back the other way in time), his glove is working, and his rebounds (except right after a "bad" goal) are in general good.ย  The rebound control could be better still, but that's a work in progress.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

Interesting Granato statements here, pointing out Robinson's play to the team--that's how you F-ing do it.

ย 

Donnie dropping the F bombs.

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Levi played well, but not great.ย  He'd definitely like the 1st one back.

And that leads to the main thing IMHO that he needs to work on.ย  He needs to shrug off what HE considers to be a bad goal.ย  His rebound control right after that was much worse than it was before or after.ย  It's when he gave up the goal to Suzuki vs. Moe-ray-all and when he gave up the 2 SO goals right after the 5 hole.

He's mentally strong enough to be shrugging those off and he's done it in the past.

Clean that up and he's pretty much what management had hoped he'd be heading into the season.

He's already stopped (at least for now) giving up the late goal which was a major issue prior to being sent down.ย  He'll give up a late goal again at some point.ย  Will be interesting if he can keep that goal out of his head when it happens.ย  That, IMHO, will be a huge factor in whether the people that want him developing in Ra-cha-cha get their wish or whether it'll be those wanting to see him helping them win games up here get theirs.ย  If he trusts himself to keep from giving up the late goal, the team will trust him as well.

He's moving well, is anticipating well (heck, the anticipation is why he couldn't stop the goal against in the Bruins game, he was ahead of the pass across and when it went off Johnson's leg he couldn't quite get his glove back the other way in time), his glove is working, and his rebounds (except right after a "bad" goal) are in general good.ย  The rebound control could be better still, but that's a work in progress.

I know more time in Rochester will not hurt him but I donโ€™t trust Comrie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.