Rosen has been recalled

BC Sabres Fan

How’s Rosen’s game project? Middle 6? 40 pt player? Defensively responsible?

To be clear: I’m spitballing the above with a presumption that he hits his NHL ceiling.There’s always the possibility that he doesn’t (quite) make it as an NHL’er.

Edited by That Aud Smell

17 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

To be clear: I’m spitballing the above with a presumption that he hits his NHL ceiling.There’s always the possibility that he doesn’t (quite) make it as an NHL’er.

I saw someone compare His projected style of play to Matthieu Perrault. 
Middle six/0.5 point per game player. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Scouts at the time compared him to arvidsson.

Hopefully that's true

25 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

His play in Rochester is a lot like Mittelstadt’s play in Buffalo over the last 50 games. I don’t think he has the talent of Mitts, but it’s a similar play style and it’s the best/most relatable description I can think of. If it translates at the NHL, he should be a capable middle-six guy. 

Not been a fan of how this roster is constructed this season, but credit to GMKA for recalling Rosen over Kulich. From watching the Amerks, it’s the correct call.

Now waive Bryson, recall Kulich, and stop rolling 11 + 7.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

His play in Rochester is a lot like Mittelstadt’s play in Buffalo over the last 50 games. I don’t think he has the talent of Mitts, but it’s a similar play style and it’s the best/most relatable description I can think of. If it translates at the NHL, he should be a capable middle-six guy. 

Not been a fan of how this roster is constructed this season, but credit to GMKA for recalling Rosen over Kulich. From watching the Amerks, it’s the correct call.

Now waive Bryson, recall Kulich, and stop rolling 11 + 7.

Just wondering.....does Rosen have maybe a little more speed in his skating vs. Mitts?  I really don't know how they compare there.

Rosen has elite wheels and a great shot. That was known when he was drafted. His ability to grab the puck and go up ice really has stood out. He has really nice chemistry with Kulich, think JJ and Quinn.

What has surprised is how well rounded the rest of his game has become. He has good hockey sense and is a nice distributor. He plays hard despite always being a thin guy. 

I don’t know what he develops into at the NHL level. That is still unknown as he continues to develop. He is a guy that can be used up or down a lineup. I think if he really takes off you are looking at a guy like Jesper Bratt for the Devils.

Im pretty sure he is up because of the Girgs injury so probably no other moves have to be made.

Is Comrie healthy right now? I think sending Levi down for a spell would be a good move but you have to know that Comrie is good to go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Just wondering.....does Rosen have maybe a little more speed in his skating vs. Mitts?  I really don't know how they compare there.

He has wheels. Don't know how it compares to Mitts in a side-by-side though. He is certainly fast among his AHL (or the SHL before) peers.

50 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Somewhat of a playmaker but he has been scoring goals. 

20 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What has surprised is how well rounded the rest of his game has become. He has good hockey sense and is a nice distributor. He plays hard despite always being a thin guy.

This is why I think he compares to Mitts (at least the Mitts we've seen for the last 50 or so games). Mitts has developed into a reliable puck mover and distributor with good situational awareness. Perhaps most importantly, he is going into corners to win puck battles. He gets overshadowed by Tage Thompson's scoring or Rasmus Dahlin doing Rasmus Dahlin things, but he's been absolutely critical to this team over that stretch. At least at the AHL-level, Rosen does an excellent job moving the puck, finding the open player, and extending plays. Despite being in need of a lifetime supply of protein powder, he battles in corners. Both players have excellent shots, although I do think Rosen is more likely to shoot than Mitts (who I really wish would shoot more, but that's a different story). And, like Mitts, Rosen is overshadowed by others.

Rosen's biggest weakness is even the same one Mitts had when he entered the league--strength. Strength feeds into confidence and the willingness of a player to fight puck battles. It's why Mitts struggled and looked out of place. Fortunately, Rosen is stronger now than Mitts was for his age 20-21 season and that's largely due to the heavy emphasis in Rochester on strength and conditioning. Of course, Mitts is certainly stronger now that he has filled out his 6'1 frame and Rosen may hit a wall with his 5'11 height--we don't know.

While I was not a fan of Rosen as a draft pick--and I was worried about his SHL play--his AHL development has been remarkable and I genuinely like his play in Rochester. I don't know how it will translate to the NHL though and, despite everything I said above, I'm not confident that Rosen is ready for full-time NHLer status yet in terms of strength. That being said, he is absolutely the correct player to give a look to at the moment. Only one real way to find out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Good for him, he is an overlooked first rounder. 
He is having a good season so far.

My expectations are low because this is a big jump but he could provide a spark.

Time to cash in on the Risto trade.

I would not say overlooked but he got a lot of scrutiny because his weight was listed in the 150’s when he was drafted.   He has gained about 20 pounds in the past few years.   Amerks list him at 173.    Still growing at 20.  

Good luck to him tonight.  First game and on home road ice.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Rosen is faster for sure, he's pretty quick.  

Rosen is looking like a solid all around player.  As i said above, he can fly on skates, and he is a plus passer and a plus shooter.  His ceiling is definitely 1st line player if he can hack it defensively in the NHL, he has all the gifts.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.