Sabres return Matt Savoie to WHL Wenatchee Wild

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

You sound like some of the parents I encountered coaching  youth hockey.  

This is not youth hockey.  You don’t play a player more because his parents flew in to see him. 

Performance = play starts in competitive youth travel AA and AAA leagues.  Savoie knows it. They talked to him.  They evaluated him and they saw enough.   Did you watch his 3:55?  He is not going to help us this year.  This is professional hockey.   

Savoie did get another look at Rochester, this time he did much better,  plus he got a game in the bigs.  

Let the fire burn.  

I coached for 10 years. Youth hockey parents don’t fly across the country. 😒 I could take 4 minutes from any of the Sabres players and show bad play.

Just now, pastajoe said:

I coached for 10 years. Youth hockey parents don’t fly across the country. 😒 I could take 4 minutes from any of the Sabres players and show bad play.

you coached so you should know that in serious competitive leagues you don’t play someone more minutes because his parents flew in or for any reason other than winning.  Why would you do it in the NHL?  

Minnesota was a tough game and we didn’t match up well.  It took everything we had to win   That is what we want them to do  - Win.  Not hold tryouts for 1/4 of a season.  

28 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Gosh, all 3 of those upgraded D played tonight and they still gave up 4 goals. 🤔 And they played with 11 forwards and were shutout when they could have given Savoie another game. He would have really been a hindrance. 🙄

Yes, it was on the D that UPL let a shot originating from near the boards below the goal into the net.  Durn it, they should've found a way to keep that DANGEROUS shot from getting to UPL.  He never had a chance.

They were responsible for that 2nd goal as well.  How DARE they give up a shot from well above the faceoff dots.

Yes, Johnson had the puck deflect off his stick on the 3rd.  On a goal that UPL didn't start to react to until it had hit his stick.  100% on Johnson.

And UPL had NO CHANCE on the 4th (which is actually true) so let's blame the empty netter on the D as well.

What, are you Savoie's grandpappy?  His parent's dog groomer?  There must be a reason you are so butt hurt about the decision to send him back.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is the best decision Adams has made since the Greenway trade. Don't waste time, it was obvious that he is not fully cooked yet

Is he not better than Okposo and his 3 points this season in 14+ minutes a game or Krebs whopping 1 point all season? And.... the idiot granato is giving them PP2 minutes too. You can amazingly tell he's not fully cooked in all of his 3:55 game time yesterday where his Goal expectancy was 92%.  5 points in 6 games in rochester wasn't sh*t either.

Edited by CTJoe
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, CTJoe said:

Is he not better than Okposo and his 3 points this season in 14+ minutes a game or Krebs whopping 1 point all season? All the idiot granato is giving them PP2 minutes too. You can amazingly tell he's not fully cooked in all of his 3:55 game time yesterday where his Goal expectancy was 92%.  5 points in 6 games in rochester wasn't sh*t either.

I watched him every second of his shifts, since I was there. He cannot play NHL hockey and you can't spend any time pretending he can right now. He's gotta cook more. He gave away offensive zone possession three times in one shift with variations of blind passes - the game is just too fast for him right now

Krebs and Okposo are a separate question, and I had answers to it back when there was time to solve roster problems. It's not my fault Kevyn went on vacation instead

• Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes, it was on the D that UPL let a shot originating from near the boards below the goal into the net.  Durn it, they should've found a way to keep that DANGEROUS shot from getting to UPL.  He never had a chance.

They were responsible for that 2nd goal as well.  How DARE they give up a shot from well above the faceoff dots.

Yes, Johnson had the puck deflect off his stick on the 3rd.  On a goal that UPL didn't start to react to until it had hit his stick.  100% on Johnson.

And UPL had NO CHANCE on the 4th (which is actually true) so let's blame the empty netter on the D as well.

What, are you Savoie's grandpappy?  His parent's dog groomer?  There must be a reason you are so butt hurt about the decision to send him back.

You obviously missed the many times the Pens controlled the play in the D zone and were able to get the scoring chances that led to those goals. 

I’m upset that this coach continues to play underachieving vets. It was a waste of a roster spot to only play him for 4 minutes, and then a wasted opportunity to only play 11 forwards tonight when he could have played. That’s poor roster management by the coach.

Edited by pastajoe

5 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

You obviously missed the many times the Pens controlled the play in the D zone and were able to get the scoring chances that led to those goals. 

I’m upset that this coach continues to play underachieving vets. It was a waste of a roster spot to only play him for 4 minutes, and then a wasted opportunity to only play 11 forwards tonight when he could have played. That’s poor roster management by the coach.

That’s not an unfair assessment of Granato as a bench coach. Nothing about his in-game management strikes me as anything but less than mediocre, including how he manages the bench.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Boohoo. Imagine how Clifton felt after he bought every friend and relative a ticket and then was ejected for a bad hit a few minutes in. 

S&&t happens. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, pastajoe said:

But you think Savoie would have changed things last night?  He wouldn't have.  And his parents got see his debut in the NHL.  You should probably go ask them how they feel instead of deciding for them.

There are a ton of reasons on how managing a team come into play that explain why Savoie got 1 game and was sent down when he was sent down. But it ultimately boils down to: He was not going to be the one to improve the team. Period.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, CTJoe said:

Is he not better than Okposo and his 3 points this season in 14+ minutes a game or Krebs whopping 1 point all season? And.... the idiot granato is giving them PP2 minutes too. You can amazingly tell he's not fully cooked in all of his 3:55 game time yesterday where his Goal expectancy was 92%.  5 points in 6 games in rochester wasn't sh*t either.

He was flinching, uncomfortable, and passing to the wrong team in his 4 minutes of play.  It amazes me how some fans here think that Savoie’s tryout was 4 minutes.  He has been here 6 months.  It’s unfortunate that he can’t play in the AHL.  That is the level he is ready for.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

But you think Savoie would have changed things last night?  He wouldn't have.  And his parents got see his debut in the NHL.  You should probably go ask them how they feel instead of deciding for them.

There are a ton of reasons on how managing a team come into play that explain why Savoie got 1 game and was sent down when he was sent down. But it ultimately boils down to: He was not going to be the one to improve the team. Period.

The guy’s known for his power play abilities. They couldn’t even give him a chance given how bad the PP has been this season? Please. 😒

12 hours ago, pastajoe said:

You obviously didn't watch him in his nearly 4 minutes of game action.  He was not good.

And when they decided to activate Samuelsson, a corresponding roster move needed to be made.  There were 3 realistic options beyond the 1 they chose: send RJ2 down, put Bryson on waivers to send him down, or send Rousek down.  They wanted to continue to play Johnson, they also wanted to play Rousek after the good game he had the day before, and for whatever reasons they have they are loathe to risk losing Bryson.  That left, either keep Muel on IR even though he's ready to play or send Savoie back to WA.  You were REALLY going to keep Muel on IR to give a kid that was not ready the day before an opportunity to play again on the road against a veteran opponent that you're battling for a playoff spot?  If you were, interesting.

It wasn't the coach that sent Savoie back.  That's on the GM.  The decision to only play 11 Fs was on the coach, but they still had a F that was healthy and available to play.  That they didn't want to play him doesn't mean they'd've played Matt were he still available provided Muel was activated.  They gave Matt even less time the day before than they gave Krebs.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I do wonder if he needed to play one game in order to satisfy the requirements that he was indeed sent down to the AHL stint before being returned to the WHL, not sure if that’s a thing or not. 

Also, Benson should be allowed to play in the AHL next year as his first season in the WHL was only 24 games but that was total number games that was played because of Covid. I think the CHL is counting that as a year accrued of service.

Benson and Savoie probably both make the team out of training camp next year however, it would be nice to have an option with Benson to send him  to a place where he would have better competition if necessary

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I do wonder if he needed to play one game in order to satisfy the requirements that he was indeed sent down to the AHL stint before being returned to the WHL, not sure if that’s a thing or not. 

Also, Benson should be allowed to play in the AHL next year as his first season in the WHL was only 24 games but that was total number games that was played because of Covid. I think the CHL is counting that as a year accrued of service.

Benson and Savoie probably both make the team out of training camp next year however, it would be nice to have an option with Benson to send him  to a place where he would have better competition if necessary

It isn't a thing according to the letter of the CBA, but there's other things (like having a team that's cap compliant before putting anybody on BF-LTIR to start the season) that the league and PA let slide; so would not be surprised if when the Sabres were asking the league office what their full menu of options for Savoie (and Benson) this year is that the league told them they'd need to give Savoie a game in the NHL in order to use the conditioning stint in the AHL.

Still, it's a huge shame that he can't stay in the AHL this season.  That is painfully obviously the level he belongs at today.

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

The guy’s known for his power play abilities. They couldn’t even give him a chance given how bad the PP has been this season? Please. 😒

You just keep pushing that rock up the hill. 

You've been given so many reasons as to why he was sent down. The most immediate being the need to clear a roster spot. He wasn't going to be the answer this year, a second game would not have changed anything. So, he was moved down so they didn't have to risk a player on waivers, etc.

Sometimes the decision that has to be made is choosing the best worst option. it's not all Happily Ever After all the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Benson yes, Savoie ?    Not unless he develops a lot over this year in junior. He did not look close imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 11/12/2023 at 10:48 AM, pastajoe said:

The power play's struggles have largely been gaining the zone.  I don't see how he's going to help you gain the zone, and i'd suspect the second he touched the puck that the PK is going to pressure him into a turnover.  

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.