Casey Mittelstadt's next contract

RVJ

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Billions and Billions of dollars. 

Casey is becoming indispensable too this team.  He is the team’s best playmaker and the puck seems glued to his stick. He is also a force along the boards and possibly our best two way forward.  

If the Sabres are lucky they’ll get him signed for 6 years at 42 million.

• Like (+1) 2

• RVJ changed the title to Casey Mittelstadt's next contract
1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

For funsies …. Check out this thread on the kid just 3 years ago ….

This is also why it is fine for Benson and Savoie to just go back to junior.  The idea that they have nothing to prove or learn there is just not accurate.  Both ran out of gas a bit in the WHL final last year.  They can both get physically stronger and more mature and play for Canada at the World Juniors and have another deep playoff run with what appears to be a good team (hopefully their coach issues are resolved). There is lots of development that can occur with another year of junior hockey.

The other factor, I think, is that you diminish a player's value when you have them playing a level too high. Nobody is down on Benson or Savoie, but if they are tearing up the WHL right now the hockey world in general has a different view than what they have when they see a 19 year old in the NHL playing less than 4 minutes or an  18 year old injured perhaps because they are not ready for the physical rigor of NHL play.   

If the Sabres are going to trade one or two of their high-end assets at some point (and I'm not sure they will) then the best way for them to retain their value is to be dominant players at lower levels as opposed to struggling players in the NHL.

To bring this back to Mitts, if he had gone back to college one more year and then spent a year in Rochester before coming to the NHL, a lot of the negative vibes around his development never occur.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I like him a lot but When you have so many Good. Prospects Coming Up from The. Pipeline It's easier to trade a player like him.

I would trade him for a very good goalie or defenseman

They're not going to trade 37 unless he holds them up for more $$ than they can justify.  That seems unlikely given his personality and attachment to his teammates and coach. 

The problem here is Dahlin was greedy and he's overpaid by $1.5M to $2M.  26 isn't playing like a top 5 in the league Dman.  He's invisible many games, and those high flip lob outs are just ugly turnovers.  Where is there improvement since last year?  Seems like he has plateaued or even regressed.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I like him a lot but When you have so many Good. Prospects Coming Up from The. Pipeline It's easier to trade a player like him.

I would trade him for a very good goalie or defenseman

He has become a “glue guy” in the locker room and the best two-way player on the roster.  He has worked his way through the system, had his highs and lows, and has fully bought into being a leader.  They are going to reward him by making an example out of paying him.  Zero chance this regime trades him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

For funsies …. Check out this thread on the kid just 3 years ago ….

Off topic from Mitts himself, but the amount of discussion around pull-ups in that thread and the assumption that they’re easy is a sure sign of a lot of people that have never actually attempted a pull-up

I’m not a professional athlete by any means but I’m mid 20’s, workout 5 days of the week weight lifting, weigh about 205, bench 235 and row 185, played sports all my life — I can only do 8 pull ups on a good day. 

Was he at the biggest interview for future professional athletes and maybe lacked some preparation? Sure. But let’s not sit behind a computer screen and keyboard and act like pull-ups are some exceptionally easy task when they’re actually pretty difficult and require a good bit of strength that a 160 pound 17 year old might not have. I don’t know why that irked me so bad but it did lol

As far as Mitts, it feels like the asking price goes up with every game. If the intent is to sign him and have him as part of the core, KA has to get it done sooner than later. It seems like he’s played himself into the Tage/Cozens contract range, but if KA waits all season before resigning him he may play himself well past that range into an area that doesn’t seem feasible for our long term plans

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, elijah said:

Off topic from Mitts himself, but the amount of discussion around pull-ups in that thread and the assumption that they’re easy is a sure sign of a lot of people that have never actually attempted a pull-up

I’m not a professional athlete by any means but I’m mid 20’s, workout 5 days of the week weight lifting, weigh about 205, bench 235 and row 185, played sports all my life — I can only do 8 pull ups on a good day. 

Was he at the biggest interview for future professional athletes and maybe lacked some preparation? Sure. But let’s not sit behind a computer screen and keyboard and act like pull-ups are some exceptionally easy task when they’re actually pretty difficult and require a good bit of strength that a 160 pound 17 year old might not have. I don’t know why that irked me so bad but it did lol

As far as Mitts, it feels like the asking price goes up with every game. If the intent is to sign him and have him as part of the core, KA has to get it done sooner than later. It seems like he’s played himself into the Tage/Cozens contract range, but if KA waits all season before resigning him he may play himself well past that range into an area that doesn’t seem feasible for our long term plans

Regarding pull ups specifically.  I bet if Mitts had weighed 160 back then he would have been able to do more.  I think he was like 190+ even at 17.  He was always pretty thick in the lower half, which is exactly what you want for hockey.  Pull up ability depends even more on your weight, especially lower body weight, than strength.

In my early-mid 20’s I didn’t work out that much but I could still consistently do 15+ pullups.  I used to 20+ at my peak.  It wasn’t because I was exceptionally strong.  I wasn’t.  It was because I didn’t weigh anything.  I was like 5’11” 155.  I guarantee that 17 year old Casey who couldn’t do a pull up was way stronger than 22 year  me who could do 20.  Pull ups just aren’t very relevant to hockey.

21 minutes ago, LPJets16 said:

They're not going to trade 37 unless he holds them up for more $$ than they can justify.  That seems unlikely given his personality and attachment to his teammates and coach. 

The problem here is Dahlin was greedy and he's overpaid by $1.5M to $2M.  26 isn't playing like a top 5 in the league Dman.  He's invisible many games, and those high flip lob outs are just ugly turnovers.  Where is there improvement since last year?  Seems like he has plateaued or even regressed.

You bring up an interesting point about his attachment to his teammates and his coach.

The reason he was the best HS hockey player in Minnesota was he wanted to stay with his friends on the HS Team rather than move to Major Junior or a Shattuck St Mary's.  MAYBE that helps keep his cost down to the Cozens' level?

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding pull ups, for those who were wearing them when that thread was created and too young to remember.  Mitts had a shoulder issue that was diagnosed after the combine that impacted his ability to do them.

MItts will deserve the payout if he stays at his current pace. There's not even an argument. There have been plenty of stat posts on where he stands over the past 50 or so games in relation to the rest of the NHL.

When he's on the ice, he drives offense and puck possession.  At the moment he's worth more than Cozens.  You don't trade that.

The Sabres are in the best possible seat with him.  He's an RFA.  If he wants to hold out they can trade him. If he signs an offer sheet they can match or get the compensation (which should be pretty good if it's THAT kind of money). if he signs a good deal, they get his productivity.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Coming of age game or mad at Minnesota? 

Casey has looked great this season. I think he can smell the money.

He is bringing me some Peter Forsberg vibes. The lighter version, of course.

Forsberg was a beast to get the puck from and was primarily a playmaker.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Can't see any way he takes that deal.  He's going to get Cozens/Thompson money.

Well, four years gives him a chance at another contract in his prime and gives the Sabres a chance to move on if he stops developing or someone is ready to take his place. 

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

3 X 7.140M

This also does the above but can everyone make 7+? 

25 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Well, four years gives him a chance at another contract in his prime and gives the Sabres a chance to move on if he stops developing or someone is ready to take his place. 

This also does the above but can everyone make 7+? 

4 years does do that for him.  But, can't see him, who one has to assume presumes that he's part of this team's core, settling for a 4 year deal at below market when everybody else on the team that's part of the core that showed up after he did gets 7 or so year deals at / SLIGHTLY below market.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.