GDT: Sabres @ Islanders - October 14, 2023 - 7:30PM, MSG-B/MSGSN/ESPN+📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

The Sabres will be looking bounce back after losing their home opener to the Rangers. Tonight they head to take on the Islanders.

This will be the Islanders first game of the season. They are coming off a wild card berth last year.

No word yet on the lineup. Will Granato mix anything up, or run it back with the same lines and defense pairs? Does Levi get the start again or do they go with one of two back ups?

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Another trap team. Ruh roh

How is it a trap?   The isles have a better team, they made the playoffs, they have excellent goaltending, and they are the home team.  

The Sabres should be considered underdogs almost every night.  They are not proven at all, especially with a rookie goaltender.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

How is it a trap?   The isles have a better team, they made the playoffs, they have excellent goaltending, and they are the home team.  

The Sabres should be considered underdogs almost every night.  They are not proven at all, especially with a rookie goaltender.  

They play the trap 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Last year in 3 games against NYI the Sabres were 2-1 and outscored them by a scintillating 7-5 margin. The Sabres can show how they've grown, or they can show the rest of the league how trivial it is to shut them down. 

It should not be trivial to shut the Sabres down if they are skating hard, you have to have the right players and the will.  The Rangers played a solid 1-3-1, and they blocked 23 shots in a playoff-like effort in a game were the Sabres were still shaking off rust.  

The islanders are even grittier.  They will play the same game, they have the people to do it, and like the Rangers, they have really good goaltending.  

I don’t see a win here unless a Sabres goalie steps up and can keep us in a close game. 

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

They play the trap 

Oh, yes, they do.  I thought you meant “trap” as in we are better and cannot take them lightly.  

The Islanders normally play a style we have trouble with, but we beat them twice last year so maybe we can get going. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Come on Punch! Go take a walk with Dodo and get some hard cider and a doooooonut.

I'll show myself out.

Ha ha.  I am staining/painting my deck railings today.  Well, my son is doing it and I am “helping” out a bit.  It’s nice that the tables turned and now he can out work me on the physical labor stuff.   It's especially nice that I can still beat him in golf.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I hate that the Islanders sweaters seem waaaay too similar to the Sabres.  Other than the slug/goat head era this has been the case. It drives me nuts.

And it’s a dumb name, “oh we live in Long Island, we’re Islanders. Oh and our logo is a map of the place we live. But also include other places like Brooklyn” The Long Island Cartographers would be a better name. Imagine if we were the Buffalo Buffalonians and our logo was an outline of all of WNY. So dumb. 

Eff the Isles in the A. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ha ha.  I am staining/painting my deck railings today.  Well, my son is doing it and I am “helping” out a bit.  It’s nice that the tables turned and now he can out work me on the physical labor stuff.   It especially nice that I can still beat him in golf.  

I take it you're not local? It is miserable outside here today

• Agree 2

GAME ON !!

MUST WIN !!

GO SABRES !!

I have no feelings for the Islanders.  They are not on the same scale as the dastardly duo.

The Sabres have to be able to win games against the Islanders - a pretty good team that will likely be challenging for playoff spots with the likes of the Sabres, Senators and Red Wings.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.