Sabres Sign Dahlin to an 8 Year 88 Million Dollar Extension

Brawndo

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think @Thorny nailed it yesterday.

As frustrating as it may be for us armchair GMs, Adams is going with the goaltending he has because he believes he will get capable goaltending from the goalies he has.

All we can do is hope he's right.

I think the bolded is correct and would just add that I think Adams concluded that the other goalies who were available were either not worth the price they would've cost (in trade assets and/or contract), not likely to provide an upgrade, or both.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Happy Days said:

That is a lot of money toward the cap. I wonder if this will prevent Casey Mittelstadt from getting a contract extension here. 

I doubt it.  How much do you think he will demand on the open market?  How much do you think he will settle for to stay with the Sabres (which is, I think, his desire)?

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

One word ..

Cups.

Malkin was smart enough to know that in order to reach his ultimate goal (winning cups) the best chance to do that was with the best player in the league at the time.

I believe they have 3 cups together.

Power will be thinking the same thing.

And realistically:  Other than bragging rights for their agents, does an extra 10% *really* make a difference in their lives? 

52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Man, he better be. He has to be.

I imagine GM KA on this topic occasionally acting like a driver on a long highway trip who’s drifted into a state of inattention and then suddenly snaps back with one of those OH SH1T! moments followed by a brief cold sweat (maybe felt right on the ol’ bald spot (speaking from experience)).

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And so out of character.  Does he not value goaltending or is he so infatuated with Levi’s potential that he is unable to see what is obvious to the rest of the world? Does he believe from his time in Carolina that any goalie if they get hot can carry a team to the Cup and therefore it’s not worth spending resources there?

The funny thing is that KA loved Anderson for his mentoring skills but when he needs a mentor goalie in the locker-room for his prized prospect he doesn’t make the move.  It’s so weird.  

I really think it comes down to Kevyn likes to find the undervalued player and squeeze the value of out them (by acquiring them for minimal assets or paying them "team friendly" dollars), then develops them into what he wants. 

I'm pretty sure he looked at several trades for goalies over the summer but decided, for instance, that Hellebuyck wasn't worth the asking price for a one-year rental and didn't want to pay him until he is 38.  I mean that's a defensible decision.  He probably kicked the tires on other goalie trades too but decided they just didn't work with his long term plans (either in terms of acquisition cost or salary hit).

I'm quite sure he sees the situation the same way the forum does but sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think the bolded is correct and would just add that I think Adams concluded that the other goalies who were available were either not worth the price they would've cost (in trade assets and/or contract), not likely to provide an upgrade, or both.

Yeah, what he sed.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Granato spoke this morning about how advanced Levi is in his routines and prep. We assume because you are young you need a mentor when in fact some ppl simply know what needs to be done and already know how to accomplish it. Also we need to stop acting like there isn't other vets on the team or that there isn't a goalie coach as well. 

The mentoring is an issue that KA has brought up time and again.  He talked about it with Anderson, with Johnson as well as Z and KO.  As to goaltending, Levi, regardless of his prep, has never played a season at the top level of the sport, never been the No. 1 goalie of an NHL team and no forward or D vet understands the goalie position and the highs and lows of a long NHL season for a goaltender.  Our goalie coach Mike Bales’ NHL experience was 23 games.   

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The mentoring is an issue that KA has brought up time and again.  He talked about it with Anderson, with Johnson as well as Z and KO.  As to goaltending, Levi, regardless of his prep, has never played a season at the top level of the sport, never been the No. 1 goalie of an NHL team and no forward or D vet understands the goalie position and the highs and lows of a long NHL season for a goaltender.  Our goalie coach Mike Bales’ NHL experience was 23 games.   

They did bring Anderson in for camp didn't they?  I wouldn't be surprised to find out see him make several other appearances as the season progresses, as a "special goalie development consultant."  It won't be as taxing as playing; it'll be more like taking a few business trips during the year but being able to spend time with his family otherwise.  I won't be surprised to find out he's helping the goalies, particularly Levi, via virtual link all season long.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think @Thorny nailed it yesterday.

As frustrating as it may be for us armchair GMs, Adams is going with the goaltending he has because he believes he will get capable goaltending from the goalies he has.

He can be right, less wrong is fine by me if we make the playoffs 

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

They did bring Anderson in for camp didn't they?  I wouldn't be surprised to find out see him make several other appearances as the season progresses, as a "special goalie development consultant."  It won't be as taxing as playing; it'll be more like taking a few business trips during the year but being able to spend time with his family otherwise.  I won't be surprised to find out he's helping the goalies, particularly Levi, via virtual link all season long.

Yea I agree.

The very LAST thing I’d be worried about with Levi is him not getting enough mentorship or coaching so he can succeed in this league.

Just because one don’t like or think Levi gets enough mentorship or coaching, doesn’t mean it’s a fact. And regardless of their ability as goaltenders… UPL and Comrie are not greenhorn rookies. Let alone him talking to Anderson as well.

Edited by Zamboni

21 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yea I agree.

The very LAST thing I’d be worried about with Levi is him not getting enough mentorship or coaching so he can succeed in this league.

Just because one don’t like or think Levi gets enough mentorship or coaching, doesn’t mean it’s a fact. And regardless of their ability as goaltenders… UPL and Comrie are not greenhorn rookies. Let alone him talking to Anderson as well.

Plus, he's performed pretty well for Hockey Canada in the past.  Would expect they're keeping him in the loop with access to some guys that have "been there, done that" too should he ask for it.

After looking at NFL contracts for so long, all hockey players seem like screaming bargains. Matthews, with his extension, has the highest AAV in the NHL at $13,250,000. Joe Burrow, with his extension, has the highest AAV in the NFL at $55,000,000. But Damian Lillard in the NBA has them all beat at $60,887,020. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

After looking at NFL contracts for so long, all hockey players seem like screaming bargains. Matthews, with his extension, has the highest AAV in the NHL at $13,250,000. Joe Burrow, with his extension, has the highest AAV in the NFL at $55,000,000. But Damian Lillard in the NBA has them all beat at $60,887,020. 

And the revenue that the NHL brings in versus the NFL? 😂

On 10/9/2023 at 8:19 AM, pi2000 said:

overpaid but glad it's done

he'll need to get better to live up to the deal

Overpaid?   He is the best guy on the team. 

This will be a deal. Dahlin will have a long and great prime, he is young and he is still getting better. 

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Overpaid?   He is the best guy on the team. 

This will be a deal. Dahlin will have a long and great prime, he is young and he is still getting better.  Defenseman are best 

Well now some fans will be hypersensitive and point out every little or big mistake he makes on every shift and say “he’s not worth his contract”. Not to mention if he doesn’t  get as many points their minds are saying he should get. So that’ll be fun. 😂

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Well now some fans will be hypersensitive and point out every little or big mistake he makes on every shift and say “he’s not worth his contract”. Not to mention if he doesn’t  get as many points their minds are saying he should get. So that’ll be fun. 😂

Should big mistakes not get pointed out? The standard absolutely should be higher. He can't be near the top of the league in penalties, for example. Also he needs to drag, kick and scream this team into the playoffs.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Should big mistakes not get pointed out? The standard absolutely should be higher. He can't be near the top of the league in penalties, for example. Also he needs to drag, kick and scream this team into the playoffs.

He's also near the top of league in penalties drawn so no, his penalties literally are whatever because they are balanced out the other way. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's also near the top of league in penalties drawn so no, his penalties literally are whatever because they are balanced out the other way. 

I think it’s a fair criticism.  It’s great that he is near the top of league in penalties drawn, but he should be able to cut down on minor penalties taken too.  It’s an area that could use improvement.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It's really about if his penalties are off-set at the time they take them or if the Sabres score more PPG when he draws a penalty than they give up when he takes a penalty.

It doesn't do the team any good if they only score 1 in 10 times on the power play if they give up goals 3 of 10 times when he's in the box.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.