Training Camp Roster Moves

Brawndo

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Again so what?  Is he helping the team get better? If not, why do we care if he is waived and claimed.  What has he done in the NHL that shows he is better than Tokarski ?

They are probably looking at his age plus this

In the 2018–19 season, his first in North America playing major junior hockey, Luukkonen set the Sudbury Wolves franchise record for most wins in a regular season,[4] and led the Ontario Hockey League(OHL) in wins, save percentage, and shutouts.[5]Luukkonen was the first European import player to win the Red Tilson Trophy as the league's most outstanding player.

Yes I know it’s awhile ago but goalies do take longer to develop than other positions.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Again so what?  Is he helping the team get better? If not, why do we care if he is waived and claimed.  What has he done in the NHL that shows he is better than Tokarski ?

No one is disputing that right now UPL doesn’t look like a good NHL goalie.  The reason losing him on waivers would be lousy asset management is we are starting his age 24 season, his career record is 20-19-6 on a series of crappy teams, and a number of injuries, and there is still a very reasonable likelihood that he gets there in the next couple of years.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

UPL just turned 23… Takes time to develop NHL goalie skills…

He has the size… He is developing his hockey sense, movement, glove, blocker, breakaway…

His aggressiveness and compete need more work… With success will come confidence…

Look at the swagger Levi developed in his remarkable amateur and college years… 

Doubt the Sabres give up on UPL at this point in their investment of time in him.

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No one is disputing that right now UPL doesn’t look like a good NHL goalie.  The reason losing him on waivers would be lousy asset management is we are starting his age 24 season, his career record is 20-19-6 on a series of crappy teams, and a number of injuries, and there is still a very reasonable likelihood that he gets there in the next couple of years.  

That argument sounds great on paper but not in reality.  Compare him to the guys already here like Comrie, Tokarski and Cooley.  Compare him to Jonas Johansson.  What did Jonas develop into? Sometimes you just have to move on and we are there with UPL.  Frankly I’d claim Driedger even with his 1 year $3.5 cap hit and move on from UPL and Comrie.  It’s time to get better goaltending and at least Driedger has had success in the NHL.  

1 minute ago, Believer said:

UPL just turned 23…

He turned 24 in March.  He is unlikely ever to be a serviceable NHL goalie.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That argument sounds great on paper but not in reality.  Compare him to the guys already here like Comrie, Tokarski and Cooley.  Compare him to Jonas Johansson.  What did Jonas develop into? Sometimes you just have to move on and we are there with UPL.  Frankly I’d claim Driedger even with his 1 year $3.5 cap hit and move on from UPL and Comrie.  It’s time to get better goaltending and at least Driedger has had success in the NHL.  

He turned 24 in March.  He is unlikely ever to be a serviceable NHL goalie.

Thanks for the correction…

If I’m Adams and Granato, I’m hanging in there with UPL… but it won’t surprise me if he is part of a package trade this season to shore up our D.

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

What trade value does he have?

According to people here his value is that he is 24, might be claimed on waivers because he may possibly develop into a serviceable goalie sometime in the future eventually.  It certainly not that he is an NHL goalie now that can help the Sabres make the playoffs this season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Believer said:

UPL just turned 23… Takes time to develop NHL goalie skills…

He has the size… He is developing his hockey sense, movement, glove, blocker, breakaway…

His aggressiveness and compete need more work… With success will come confidence…

Look at the swagger Levi developed in his remarkable amateur and college years… 

Doubt the Sabres give up on UPL at this point in their investment of time in him.

My thing here is, “at what cost?”

Devon will need a reliever at best and an actual starter at worst. 

The team just missed the playoffs last year. It’s year 4 of this regime, and we’re going into year 13 of the longest drought in league history. Sticking with UPL is what’s best for UPL. But UPL isn’t necessary for this teams success. 

What’s best for the Sabres future is that this team be better than it’s ever been in the last 13 years by a large margin. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Sticking with UPL is what’s best for UPL. But UPL isn’t necessary for this teams success. 

What’s best for the Sabres future is that this team be better than it’s ever been in the last 13 years by a large margin. 

Bravo… Well said.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

UPL hasn’t even earned an NHL recall. He’s here because of injuries, his 2nd round draft status, and potential (I guess).  

To me, there’s an equal or greater chance he’s an average AHL goalie.

He never earned a promotion. He was an injury prone AHL goalie with mediocre numbers. 

Asset management be damned, it’s time to move on. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So let me get this straight, they're keeping all 3 goalies and Bryson? wtf???

This franchise remains a joke. 

Frankly I understand fans not thinking Bryson is not that good. Compare him to who he he was chosen over and you can make a case for keeping him. Once we start choosing a whipping boy it has a life of its own. Let's face it when it comes down to the final cut probably none of them don't have weaknesses in their games. I've followed this team since the franchise was awarded and don't remember a year we weren't whipping someone. My pick would have been Stillman but I'm not at daily practices and I don't know these players ad I assume our coaches do. I love playing GM or head coach but I'm not either and there is a reason I'm not. Both Granato and Adams know more than I do. I understand as a fan I have opinions opinions but some seem so sure they know more than the coaches and GM and frankly we don't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Frankly I understand fans not thinking Bryson is not that good. Compare him to who he he was chosen over and you can make a case for keeping him. Once we start choosing a whipping boy it has a life of its own. Let's face it when it comes down to the final cut probably none of them don't have weaknesses in their games. I've followed this team since the franchise was awarded and don't remember a year we weren't whipping someone. My pick would have been Stillman but I'm not at daily practices and I don't know these players ad I assume our coaches do. I love playing GM or head coach but I'm not either and there is a reason I'm not. Both Granato and Adams know more than I do. I understand as a fan I have opinions opinions but some seem so sure they know more than the coaches and GM and frankly we don't.

Do they? I'm not convinced either knows all that much any more. 

I can't wait for the Sabres to hire someone from this forums to be GM or Coach to finally show us how it's done. We'll have a Stanley cup in no time.

Personally I'm not going to hold the drought against Adams or Granato. This team has gotten better each season under them both. Not as quickly as I'd like sure, but I think the future looks bright. It's easy to sit here on the internet and dream up fantasy scenarios of players we want to have as it's as simple as playing a video game.

I find it sad at how upset people are at this team when we haven't even played a single regular season game yet.

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve been travelling so I missed the cuts and this thread.

My two cents:

KA & DG talked about the 3 goalie system not being ideal for pecking order, getting reps and practice yet here we are. Grow a set and cut or trade someone. They have 2 good ones in Rochester for emergencies so bite the bullet. Maybe UPL goes to another organization and becomes an NHLer in 2-3 years, oh well, it’s the NHL and you have to make these kind of decisions.

I’m going by Bryson’s history because I haven’t seen much action from camp or preseason. He has been in Buffalo the longest and seems popular with teammates, which I think influenced this decision the most. He was my least favourite out of all the D vying for 7D. I hope someone comes up (RJ, Stillman) and forces him off the team ASAP. The sooner RJ shows well as a pro, the sooner Bryson moves down the depth chart and out of Buffalo.

I hope these two prove me wrong because it will mean they are contributing to wins. I’ll have to find someone else to throw under the bus.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Do they? I'm not convinced either knows all that much any more. 

If I knew more maybe I would have such a position. Are they the best amount peers? Probably not but probably not the worst either. I do understand your questioning and frustration and share it.

GM Sheevyn's overconfidence (in his ability to roster goalies) is his weakness.

If you're convinced Luukkonen has 1B potential, then waive the career-AHLer with a 20-game sample size of good metrics. If you're worried about Comrie getting claimed and being Tampa's missing piece in net while Vasilevskiy is out, then you're delusional. (Tampa didn't claim Shepherd, they didn't do a trade with Seattle for Driedger -- his salary was too high to outright claim, etc.) If the Sabres had Hasek, Miller, and Levi it'd be one thing. But it's Levi and two tweeners. If Comrie is better than Luukonen, then waive Luukkonen. You think he'll suddenly become an elite goalie on another franchise? Your fear is leading you to the Cap Side of the Concept of Ehrhoff.

And dangnabbit now I'm agitated and need to do a full goalie recap.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

On the other robot hand, Bryson's been on the team for 3 years and there's a reason he doesn't have a Star Wars nickname/character tie-in.

Oh just start calling him Jar Jar Bryson and be done with it.  That way we can still hate him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.