We need to talk about Zach Benson making the team this year, 2023

LGR4GM

Benson 2023  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Does Zach Benson make the Sabres 2023 roster (meaning he stays up in the NHL for the season)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Does Zach Benson get 9 or less NHL games before being sent back to Jrs?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Zach Benson make the Sabres roster in 2024?

• Yes, he will make the NHL next season (2024)
    • No, he will go back to jrs or AHL (with exemption)

53 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He probably gets the JJP/Quinn Treatment, play some games and watches some with the coaches in the press box and by game 15 for the team, they have an idea on what his future brings 

Which makes me think, what’s more valuable to his development: 40 NHL games or a whole season in the CHL? My guess is the NHL. WHL plays 68 games not including playoffs. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1

I want to admit I was wrong about Zach Benson and I think he makes the Buffalo Sabres. Congratulations to Zach Benson a steel for the Buffalo Sabres in the the draft. Zach Benson looks like he is going to be the second best player in the 2023 NHL Draft in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Adams said Benson is on the team because he earned it - not because he put up points, but because of what he did with all his puck touches and how he matched up against NHL players in all situations.

He’s still here because they think it’s the best thing for both him, and the team.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams said Benson is on the team because he earned it - not because he put up points, but because of what he did with all his puck touches and how he matched up against NHL players in all situations.

He’s still here because they think it’s the best thing for both him, and the team.

I believe this.  The points are nice but his ability to read the play and move the puck stood out for me. Like many other players in this situation, especially at his age, I am concerned about his ability to wither the grind of a 82 game season and playoffs. 

It's not a bad problem to have though.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I mean isn't that what we all witnessed when he was on the ice? It was blatantly obvious.

• Agree 2

On 10/7/2023 at 9:40 AM, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

I want to admit I was wrong about Zach Benson and I think he makes the Buffalo Sabres. Congratulations to Zach Benson a steel for the Buffalo Sabres in the the draft. Zach Benson looks like he is going to be the second best player in the 2023 NHL Draft in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

FIFY

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

And, while not unexpected to see management willing to adjust their plan when the facts/situation change from what was expected, it is very nice to see it actually happen.  That's what good leaders do - they alter their plan when the facts underlying the plan are different than what they were expected to be. 

The plan certainly seemed to be to give Benson a taste of the NHL in camp and then send him back to the WHL knowing what things he'd need to work on to make next year the true audition for whether he'd stay in the show.  But he just showed such a mature game, that they have to at least give him his 9 games and then take it from there.

One more item to like about Adams & Granato and the rest of the talent evaluators.  This time THEY passed the eye test.

This is shocking to me.

Regular season is several notches up from pre-season.   

We'll find out right away if he can elevate his pace of play.   

I still believe the best place for him right now is juniors... if Quinn was healthy, he'd have been sent back already.

Giving him 3rd or 4th line minutes isn't best for his development.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.