GDT: 9-15-03 7pm Prospects Challenge Buffalo Sabres vs Montreal Canadiens --Sabres Youtube Channel

bob_sauve28

I most liked Rosen and Savoie at F and Metsa on D.  Kulich sure looks strong on his skates but couldn't quite put it together until his sweet PPG at the end.  Benson made a few very nice plays on the backcheck but not as much on offense.  Ryan Johnson had a few nice moments.  Metsa seemed like the dman who was most in control IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 stars for me:

1) Savoie, he was flying and he had some great shifts out there. 

2) Novikov, he looks like someone who played in a very good men's league for the last 2 years. His offensive side is brutally underrated. 

3) Isak Rosen, he just seemed to be around the puck a lot tonight and you could see the playmaking especially. 

Shots were 28/21 Buffalo

Other thoughts... where the hell was David Reinbacher for Montreal? He started out noticeable and then vanished halfway through the first. Owen Beck was noticeable a few times throughout but nothing popped. They just really lack that high end offensive pipeline. Sure they had some big guys and you could see some of that physicality but as Duffer and Baker noted, Buffalo never backed down from that and actually seemed to engage with it more and more. 

Benson had moments and was visible but I think he looked slower as the game wore on. Still gave his all every shift. Ryan Johnson was as good as Novikov in a lot of ways but he has a bit less flash. Johnson is really that solid 5/6 who can play up because he is never going to do anything dumb. I wanted more from Kulich, when the puck wasn't being slipped to him by Rosen, he was I guess around but idk I just wanted more. Kisakov flashed that skill but I think he is another couple years of hard work away. Finally Panocha looked fairly good and I am very intrigued by him. I wish Strbak was here but that's okay. 

Good win. Personally I think the Sabres talent level in the prospect area is superior to Montreal so I would expect such a thing. In these short tournaments though you never know and I think Buffalo got better as the game progressed while Montreal just got more and more frustrated. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Is there a box score anywhere for this?

Thought the MTL goalie made some good saves, and kept the score closer that it could have been. It'd be nice to see the shots.

Not that I know of but here are your goal scorers

2 goals for Matt Savoie. 1 each for Rosén, Kulich, Kozak and Lindgren.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

3 stars for me:

1) Savoie, he was flying and he had some great shifts out there. 

2) Novikov, he looks like someone who played in a very good men's league for the last 2 years. His offensive side is brutally underrated. 

3) Isak Rosen, he just seemed to be around the puck a lot tonight and you could see the playmaking especially. 

Shots were 28/21 Buffalo

Other thoughts... where the hell was David Reinbacher for Montreal? He started out noticeable and then vanished halfway through the first. Owen Beck was noticeable a few times throughout but nothing popped. They just really lack that high end offensive pipeline. Sure they had some big guys and you could see some of that physicality but as Duffer and Baker noted, Buffalo never backed down from that and actually seemed to engage with it more and more. 

Benson had moments and was visible but I think he looked slower as the game wore on. Still gave his all every shift. Ryan Johnson was as good as Novikov in a lot of ways but he has a bit less flash. Johnson is really that solid 5/6 who can play up because he is never going to do anything dumb. I wanted more from Kulich, when the puck wasn't being slipped to him by Rosen, he was I guess around but idk I just wanted more. Kisakov flashed that skill but I think he is another couple years of hard work away. Finally Panocha looked fairly good and I am very intrigued by him. I wish Strbak was here but that's okay. 

Good win. Personally I think the Sabres talent level in the prospect area is superior to Montreal so I would expect such a thing. In these short tournaments though you never know and I think Buffalo got better as the game progressed while Montreal just got more and more frustrated. 

I would switch your 3rd star and 1st star.  I disagree with Benson slowing up in the 3rd - that was his best period.  He already has a ridiculous 200 ft game at 18 years old.  Rosen announced "dont forget about me" in the battle for the last forward spot on the roster probably between him, Rousek and Kulich.

This team's pipeline is stacked

• Like (+1) 1

Metsa who won the Frozen Four and Nicholas Savoie who won a Memorial Cup at Quebec are two very nice depth adds to the organization. 

Panocha looks very solid for a 7th round pick and a year in the Q should do wonders.

The D pipeline is starting to look promising. Novikov with some time and coaching in the A looks like he has real NHL potential. Johnson will play for a long time with his feet and brain.

Strabek has the potential to be a longtime NHL dman.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not that I know of but here are your goal scorers

2 goals for Matt Savoie. 1 each for Rosén, Kulich, Kozak and Lindgren.

Thanks. Was curious to see the SOG. Sabres seemed to control the play... was wondering what the shots were.

Sorry... Just saw your post now... 28-21 thanks

Edited by JoeSchmoe

I cruised by the Habs. board on hfboards to see what Montreal fans thought. They were impressed with Savoie and said their forwards aren’t on the level of ours.

One fan was referring to Reinbacher as “Bustbacher” Tough Crowd😃

16 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

What was the final score? I only watched the 1st and most of the 2nd.

6-3 Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to tell sometimes because of camera but thought when Sabres forward turned it up they were all over Canadians who tried to be more physical but Sabres figured it out didnt back down and D by and large cleared the net front... Rosen line was impressive... Savoie is fast Benson looked hesitant at times

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.