Some troubling comments attributed to Terry Pegula (and denied by Pegula) and Jerry Jones from SI Writer Jim Trotter’s Lawsuit against the NFL

Brawndo

From the Jim Trotter complaint against the NFL. Note the quotes attributed to Jerry Jones and Terry Pegula.

As one such example, Terry Pegula, owner of the Buffalo Bills, stated in reference to players protests against racial injustice that, "If the Black players don't like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it is."

From the PFF post

Edited by LGR4GM

• Brawndo changed the title to Some troubling comments attributed to Terry Pegula and Jerry Jones from SI Writer Jim Trotter’s Lawsuit against the NFL

This stinks.

Of course there is a denial.  Not even directly from Mr. Pegula's legal team.

To my knowledge there has never been any hint of racism in anything the Pegula's have said or done.

Jerry Jones is a different story, although I have no knowledge of his past behavior either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Trotter better have solid evidence of these statements, such as a recording, otherwise he may just find himself on the other side of a lawsuit for defamation.

I'm not commenting on the veracity of Trotter's comments because I don't know. Assuming it is not true, or even if it was true, the worst approach for Terry P to take is to sue and then have this issue linger for years in the court system. As you well know as an attorney, civil cases can take years to work through the system. Right or wrong, it's not worth it to Terry P.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not commenting on the veracity of Trotter's comments because I don't know. Assuming it is not true, or even if it was true, the worst approach for Terry P to take is to sue and then have this issue linger for years in the court system. As you well know as an attorney, civil cases can take years to work through the system. Right or wrong, it's not worth it to Terry P.

It just might be worth it to him, he might feel very strongly about clearing the air.  It he doesn’t go beyond this statement then these claims hang around uncontested.  

1 minute ago, Cascade Youth said:

He can't, statements in a Complaint are protected speech.

I do not believe so.  Protected speech is from government action not private.  This is the publication by a private person of a very nasty quote attributed to another private person.  I don't believe the law cares how the publication of the information is made.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.