Adams "still going to work on" Dahlin deal over next couple of weeks

PASabreFan

Per The Athletic:

"We started conversations early in the offseason with (both Dahlin and Power) and continued all through the summer. We continue to talk now and they’ve been really positive. So it’s something that we’re still going to work on here over the next couple of weeks.”

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I bet they have a deal with both.  To be announced when camp opens.

They could have gentlemen's agreements w/ 1 or both.  But nothing is signed as the team has to send all contracts to the league office once they're signed for approval that the contracts meet all the terms of the CBA and that the team remains cap compliant.

I get people's frustration over the "insider" reporting, but i'm not worrying at all about the Ras contract itself getting done. It will.

The more interesting developments on the contract front is the Sanderson contract, Adams confirmation that talks with Power's camp have been ongoing for weeks and will continue, and the fact Power and Sanderson share the same agent and roughly the same resume.

That tells me a long-term deal can be made with Power and that Terry is willing to commit to more than $8 million per. it's the first time I've felt the Sabres may be willing to go there. I've always thought the sweet spot was $8.6 million, which is the 2nd Ekblad deal, factoring inflation. There is no better comparable for Power.

Semi-related, I've been wondering if/when Adams is going surprise us with a new contract for Mittelstadt.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

If they get Dahlin locked up long term, I'd be 'open' to a bridge deal with Power. That doesn't mean I'd PREFER a bridge deal.....normally I hate bridge deals. But, with Cozens, Thompson, and Dahlin locked up long term I think you have some flexibilty where you can Bridge Power and it won't hurt you as much in the future.

Just now, dudacek said:

I get people's frustration over the "insider" reporting, but i'm not worrying at all about the Ras contract itself getting done. It will.

The more interesting development on the contract front is the Sanderson contract, Adams revelation that talks with Power's camp have been ongoing for weeks and will continue, and the fact Power and Sanderson share the same agent and roughly the same resume.

That tells me a long-term deal can be made with Power and that Terry is willing to commit to more than $8 million per. it's the first time I've felt the Sabres may be willing to go there. I've always thought the sweet spot was $8.6 million, which is the 2nd Ekblad deal, factoring inflation. There is no better comparable for Power.

Semi-related, I've been wondering if/when Adams is going surprise us with a new contract for Mittelstadt.

Personally, am expecting all 3 contracts to get signed when the players report (give or take 2 days).

The "plan" has always been to build from within and reward those that earn it.  Pegula dropped serious Pegulabucks on this team prior to the shutdown.  Fully expect him to be willing to drop them again if it fits in with the plan.

The piece that needs to be part of the plan that isn't as sure is how much will Adams be willing to spend (in $'s and assets) to fill in the final holes should it becomes obvious that they aren't all going to get filled via the build from within method.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

If they get Dahlin locked up long term, I'd be 'open' to a bridge deal with Power. That doesn't mean I'd PREFER a bridge deal.....normally I hate bridge deals. But, with Cozens, Thompson, and Dahlin locked up long term I think you have some flexibilty where you can Bridge Power and it won't hurt you as much in the future.

I understand what you are saying here.  The issue with a bridge is that you will end up paying a lot more for Power in 3 years .. assumig a 2 year bridge.  He will become the highest paid Sabre then.  The optics alone would not be very good to have him earning more than arguably your best player due to inflation and cap rising.

8 years at $8.5M is basically market value for Power now.  He would jump all over it and it will be bargain contract from year 1 (a year from now).

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

What say you @Buffalonill

Can of worms .. meet opener.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I understand what you are saying here.  The issue with a bridge is that you will end up paying a lot more for Power in 3 years .. assumig a 2 year bridge.  He will become the highest paid Sabre then.  The optics alone would not be very good to have him earning more than arguably your best player due to inflation and cap rising.

8 years at $8.5M is basically market value for Power now.  He would jump all over it and it will be bargain contract from year 1 (a year from now).

Can of worms .. meet opener.

You have to admit this thread deserved all the snark it got.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They could have gentlemen's agreements w/ 1 or both.  But nothing is signed as the team has to send all contracts to the league office once they're signed for approval that the contracts meet all the terms of the CBA and that the team remains cap compliant.

Thanks.  I get that it's not *signed* yet, but the deals are in place.  Regardless of the smoke screen told to Elliot, which he dutifully was told to spread around the interwebs.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

You have to admit this thread deserved all the snark it got.

I think your mean that thread, eh ??

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Bro, Really? You like the broken record routine? 😂

Some can be a bit lame, but I get a laugh out of some as well. I get that it doesn’t appeal to you or the resident Censor in Chief, but they’re easy enough to ignore if you don’t care for them. 

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

And what if Power is the best player on the team after those 3 years?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think he is taking a bit of a wait and see Mitts. If Mitts continues to play at last year’s level you could see a mid-year re-sign like he did with Cozens.  Mitts’ close relationship with Cozens and Dahlin will certainly be a factor in getting him re-signed.  However, further development by Quinn and JJP, plus the top forwards prospects may make KA less willing to commit to Mitts long-term.  My personal opinion is that he re-signs Mitts at some point this season to a 5 year extension @ 6 to 6.5 per season, but without a NTC.  

Dahlin and Power’s new contracts are the priority right now.  The new Sanderson deal has added pressure to get Power’s deal done.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The optics alone would not be very good to have him earning more than arguably your best player due to inflation and cap rising.

This assumes, of course, that Power will always be #2 to Dahlin.  He could grow even more, you never know.

Kind of like Cozens and Tage.  Tage is clearly 1C.  For now.  But a few years down the road?

• Like (+1) 2

Announcing both the Dahlin and Power 8 yr contracts at the home opener would set the fans both at the arena as well as at home in to a rabid "Great, now slay the opposition with no mercy" fanaticism.

I mean really, think about how Sabres fans would react if 5 or 10 minutes before puck drop of the home opener we find out both Dahlin and Power will be here for 8 years together. We'd be frothing at the mouth. I'd pity the opponent......

Without mercy of course 😉

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.