A Greenway-Krebs-Olofsson line?

Eleven

This article makes the case that all three need to improve, and then goes on to suggest that the three might benefit from playing as line mates while the Sabs await Quinn's return:  https://thehockeywriters.com/3-sabres-impress-right-away-2023-24/

I don't think I agree, but I found it stimulating enough for off-season discussion.

Certainly, Krebs is enough of a playmaker that he can feed Olofsson, but is Greenway enough of a playmaker to get the puck to Krebs?  And would this disrupt Krebs's development as a checking center?  (I really see him in Peca's mold, but probably not as good.)  Greenway and Krebs would cover Olofsson's defensive irresponsibility, I at least can see that.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

This article makes the case that all three need to improve, and then goes on to suggest that the three might benefit from playing as line mates while the Sabs await Quinn's return:  https://thehockeywriters.com/3-sabres-impress-right-away-2023-24/

I don't think I agree, but I found it stimulating enough for off-season discussion.

Certainly, Krebs is enough of a playmaker that he can feed Olofsson, but is Greenway enough of a playmaker to get the puck to Krebs?  And would this disrupt Krebs's development as a checking center?  (I really see him in Peca's mold, but probably not as good.)  Greenway and Krebs would cover Olofsson's defensive irresponsibility, I at least can see that.

I mentioned the same trio a while back with the same mix of intrigue and trepidation.

To answer your question, Greenway had 63 assists in 185 games in 3 years on on Minnesota’s checking line with Foligno and Erikson-Ek. He’s not terrible at getting others the puck.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I mentioned the same trio a while back with the same mix of intrigue of trepidation.

To answer your question, Greenway had 63 assists in 185 games in 3 years on on Minnesota’s checking line with Foligno and Erikson-Ek. He’s not terrible at getting others the puck.

And with Quinn out for a few months, it would be the easiest way for the team to try to have a 3rd good line.  It SHOULD work.  And it leaves 2 very strong top lines.

But Olofsson needs to have his head screwed on straight and want to be here.  Because if he pouts over the way last season ended and his still being a Sabre, then Rousek, Kulich, or 1 of the Winnipeg kids will have a great opportunity to not just make this squad but play in the middle six as well.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Night Train said:

No arguments but I wish Krebs could get good scoring types as wingers. His hustle and passing ability would help a couple snipers. 

I agree. I think having Krebs creep up on the third line or second line during the inevitable injuries, would be great for his development. I think he’s more talented than leaving him on the fourth line for his career. His passing is practically the best on the team. The passing precision and creativity reminds me a lot of Reinhart.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

2 hours ago, Night Train said:

My only issue with VO is if he misses, Kerbs has to get back quickly and play D for 2 players, since Vo is All-Float. 

True, and that has been said about many players that were were "finishers".   Give me more two way players.  

14 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Olofsson would be the finisher in this case.  

While that’s true, I think this line may put too much pressure on Krebs to drive all of the offense. If he improves a lot it might work, but Oloffson is a pretty pure sniper, he doesn’t drive his own offense, and Greenway is a physical player that can be a good netfront presence, but also doesn’t drive a ton of offense himself. Maybe Granato unlocks more from Greenway, but as it stands right now, I think the line would struggle with too much reliance on Krebs to be the driver of play. 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If I'm running the show, Greenway is on a short leash. He needs to:

1. Show up to camp in shape

2. Play a lot more physical than last year.

If he fails on either two of those, I'm pulling him in favour of someone younger and hungrier, any of whom has a much higher ceiling than him.

I wasn’t aware “show up to camp in shape”  was an issue for him in the past. When did that happen with Greenway?

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If I'm running the show, Greenway is on a short leash. He needs to:

1. Show up to camp in shape

2. Play a lot more physical than last year.

If he fails on either two of those, I'm pulling him in favour of someone younger and hungrier, any of whom has a much higher ceiling than him.

I thought his issue was getting healthy, from what I remember reading. We'll see but he's interesting to me. I get he's not assured of anything yet. I like competition. 

On 9/3/2023 at 11:46 AM, Eleven said:

It is and has been the most logical line combo since Quinn was injured. We've been talking about this line combo for 2 months already. 

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Mitts 

Greenway - Krebs - Olofsson

Zemgus - Jost - Okposo 

Rousek

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Was his fitness not one of the knocks on him last year? Now you've got me 2nd guessing.

In any case, a player of his ilk needs to play a more physical game with three potential top-6's in Savoie, Kulich, and Benson knocking on the door of being NHL ready.

Fitness (as in an inability to be be in proper shape) wasn’t an issue.  His issue was that he was recovering from a shoulder injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/3/2023 at 11:46 AM, Eleven said:

We really need camp to open and the season to get here. I browse the forums every day really looking for something new to talk about.  I read the title of this thread and just ignored it until I found I had nothing to do but finally open it.

As far as the topic, I was OK with the Greenway trade when it happened, but from what I saw of him, his play really just seemed to be the most boring, non-descript, easy to not even notice him of anyone I have seen in a while.  I'm hoping it was just a small sample size and he plays much better, but its not even that I have low expectations for him...as a player I really feel nothing at all (no expectations at all, Kinda forgot he was even on the team when thinking of the projected lineup.)

On 9/3/2023 at 10:46 AM, Eleven said:

I don't think Greenway and Krebs overlap as much as you seem to.  I see Krebs and Greenway both as disruptive forecheckers.  I don't see Greenway as much of a playmaker though and I think the other two would still look to Krebs to drive the play.  I could see the line working but on the other hand if it struggles limiting their minutes would probably be the least disruptive to the rest of the team.

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Pairing Krebs with Oloffson is unfair to Krebs at this point in his career. And that’s coming from a Krebs skeptic 

I see it the opposite way.  I'm sure he knows Olofsson's playing style.  I think he will see this as an opportunity.  I think he's at that sweet spot age-wise where a lot of players jump into roles of responsibility.  Greenway will help him I have no doubt, and if Olofsson wants to stick in this league he will need to do his part (which is more than just finishing).  He's shown brief periods where he's played a good two-way game; I think he has it in him.  He just has to want to do it.  If he doesn't want to, I'm sure Rousek would.

• dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.