Rick Jeanneret: 1942–2023

PromoTheRobot

His greatness shows even more today with the current state of NHL Broadcasts. 3 people in a conversation with very little play by play. Rob Ray mumbling about something when a goal is scored and Dunleavy jumping in with the exciting call of "Oh and it gets by". Nothing better than RJ calling a game on the radio. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Quint said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/buffalo-sabres-legendary-play-by-play-announcer-rick-jeanneret-dead-at-81-1.1997195

I've listened to Rick since age 9. I'm now 63, the same age as the Buffalo Bills.

It’s kind of funny in here when a few people talk about losing another piece of their youth. For most of us, it wasn’t just our youth but our entire life. I really can’t think of many things that were always there like that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Just now, shrader said:

It’s kind of funny in here when a few people talk about losing another piece of their youth. For most of us, it wasn’t just our youth but our entire life. I really can’t think of many things that were always there like that. 

Sabres players have come and gone, RJ was there for it all.

• Like (+1) 2

Wow, a legend passes. Being a day 1 fan, he is the only non player name that 100% associates with the Sabres. I never ever thought a day would come when i did not hear his voice on a Sabre broadcast and was always hoping he would call a Sabres Stanley Cup win. To the Biggest Sabres legend, may you rest in peace! You will fondly be remembered by millions!

• Like (+1) 1

Dan Dunleavy’s RJ story this morning on WGR was a classic.

As a college student, Dan made friends with this guy named Chris. He was just “Chris.” Great guy. The sort of guy who went out of his way to help Dan out with rides to campus, as Dan lived sort of far away from campus and had no car. They became good buds.

One day, Chris asked if Dan wanted to join him for lunch with Chris’s dad. Sure says Dan. On the ride there, it occurs to Dan to ask Chris something about Chris’s dad. 

I appreciate how Dan’s first impression of Rick was how *quiet* and easygoing he was.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Quoting Hockey Stars magazine in 1996:

"Hands down, Jeanneret is the best TV play-by-play man in the NHL and he's so far ahead of the rest that there's no second best."

That was from hockey journalists with no connection to Buffalo.  GOAT gets thrown around too much nowadays, but not in RJ's case.  I have listened to Foster Hewitt, Danny Gallivant, Dan Kelly, and numerous others.  We in Buffalo were extremely lucky to have Rick.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Living in Arizona, with the time difference, I often listened to games while driving home from work. While his dynamic goal calls were legendary, sometimes we lose sight of the fact that he was a tremendous play by play announcer, in the most traditional of terms. To be able to listen on radio and understand exactly what was happening in the game is underappreciated until you are in my situation, where you depended on Rick to let you know exactly what was happening in the game. I always thought he was great, but my appreciation for him grew immensely because of that skill.

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Living in Arizona, with the time difference, I often listened to games while driving home from work. While his dynamic goal calls were legendary, sometimes we lose sight of the fact that he was a tremendous play by play announcer, in the most traditional of terms. To be able to listen on radio and understand exactly what was happening in the game is underappreciated until you are in my situation, where you depended on Rick to let you know exactly what was happening in the game. I always thought he was great, but my appreciation for him grew immensely because of that skill.

I became a Sabres fan listening to RJ over the radio with my Dad, we didn’t have cable  growing up so I didn’t watch much games, but RJ always made you feel so close to the action.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

You just reminded me of another section of the Hockey Stars article:

"Although he's most famous for his goal calls,..., He can make a boring game sound exciting and an exciting game sound like a life-or-death struggle."

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Marvin said:

You just reminded me of another section of the Hockey Stars article:

"Although he's most famous for his goal calls,..., He can make a boring game sound exciting and an exciting game sound like a life-or-death struggle."

His enthusiasm for the games during our recent drought was amazing. I don't know how he did it. I could barely watch at times, he never changed. A true professional.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Rick was the play by play poet whose voice and imagination helped spark my love of the game and this team.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

He should be remembered for what he said between the goals. Give me five uninterrupted minutes of him calling a Sabres Bruins playoff game in 1983 or 1993. I hung on every syllable and what it could mean. There was his brilliance. 

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

While his dynamic goal calls were legendary, sometimes we lose sight of the fact that he was a tremendous play by play announcer, in the most traditional of terms. To be able to listen on radio and understand exactly what was happening in the game is underappreciated until you are in my situation, where you depended on Rick to let you know exactly what was happening in the game. I always thought he was great, but my appreciation for him grew immensely because of that skill.

Let the church say "amen."

Of course, we remember and celebrate the over the top calls, which, as has been discussed here, became more over the top over the years (and wonderfully so). But it was his essential skills as a PBP man that made him a HOFer. Without that artistry and technique regarding the mundane, his loony tunes calls would not have had the import that they did.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.