The three Adams threads are annoying and we can have a discussion about him in one thread.

LGR4GM

This is goldilocks 

Though we def need “probably will be successful” and “probably won’t be” threads 

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I like Adams. I think he’s done terrific things and I’m more optimistic about the Sabres then I’ve been in a long time. 

I’m also very disappointed in his failure to address the goaltending situation and I believe a veteran center to play between KO and Z is called for.

I also believe he still may do  something and that there are people he relies on who believe the same thing. I am 100% sure that their private assessment of UPL is considerably lower then their public posture and that gives me hope that something will happen before camp,

I also believe he failed to weaponize cap space when he had the opportunity and he misread the Ullmark situation.

Ultimately though, the good far outweigh the bad, at least in my opinion.

I agree with this to a T, and thought the same thing about UPL(and posted as much) when we didn’t play him to end the year at all 

36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Just curious. Why do you say that the organization's assessment of UPL is lower than their public posture? I take the opposite view. If it had a low expectation for UPL, the GM would have been more aggressive in the offseason to address the position. It's still the offseason so there's time to bring in another goalie. I just don't see it happening. My sense is that Levi and UPL are going to be our goalie tandem when the season starts. 

It is?

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

I agree with this, even though I think this team can make the playoffs as currently constructed.

Here’s why, and this fits this thread very well and doesn’t get talked about enough as we retread the same old worn-out ground about needing another goalie, or what a great prospect pool we have.

Rasmus Dahlin is among the best defenceman in the NHL and is certainly the best defenceman ever to wear blue and gold. He has first-tier talent, first-tier size and first-tier compete. He is a stud and every inch capable of being the lead dog on a Stanley Cup-winning blueline.

Tage Thompson may or may not be a top 10 centre given the holes in his defensive game, but he is an absolute top 10 game-breaker, in terms of being a player who can create highlight reel goals on his own. McDavid is without parallel of course, but who else in the league combines those one-on-one moves with that absolute bomb of a shot the way Tage does? Not many. Never mind the physical unicorn that he is. Eichel, Mogilny, Lafontaine, Martin, Perreault… who else in franchise history has shown the level of offensive talent we saw last year?

And how good is Alex Tuch? 6’4” 220 pounds, sees the ice well, deceptive shot, impressive forechecker, impressive backchecker, an all-around all-situations player and an absolute freight train on the rush. Great dude who sets a tone and represents the franchise and the city the way you want it represented. Every intangible you could ask for AND he was the 5th highest points/game Right Wing in the league last year.

These guys aren’t “potential” or “projections”, they are - right here, right now - the best D/C/W trio this franchise has had in at least a generation.

Tuch had a sick year passing the puck

And Skinner, too

As you rightly point out, the top line is the real deal, right now. 

bird in hand 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

And they did not lead the team into the playoffs.

True.  But had even 1 of the 3 stayed healthy all season, liking their chances to have converted that 1 regulation loss into a W that they needed to get in and get pasted by Carolina.

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The next step is just making the playoffs.  If they win a round that is gravy. 

You vowed to be the first expansion team to win a Cup.

I don't understand the slow roll thinking. It's not a predictable straight line at a 45 degree angle.

No reason the Sabres couldn't make a run next spring.

I'll say it again... It's sports! You gotta live it! Or love it

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You vowed to be the first expansion team to win a Cup.

I don't understand the slow roll thinking. It's not a predictable straight line at a 45 degree angle.

No reason the Sabres couldn't make a run next spring.

I'll say it again... It's sports! You gotta live it! Or love it

You often see teams have an ahead of schedule year before taking a quick step back, have mentioned this a few times before, you kinda see it a lot 

It factored into why I predicted playoffs in 22-23. If we make it this year, there’s no guarantee there’s not a stumbling block the following (not that I’d predict it outright)

Mostly I’m just hoping this PAST year wasn’t the ahead of schedule leaving us due for a potential step back this season 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

And they did not lead the team into the playoffs.

Fair. 

Still, all 3 got hurt and they were leading a team with 5 first-year players and as many more who had played less than 200 NHL games.

And they missed by a single win.

That team brings nearly every key player back, and with more experience, and added Greenway, Stillman, Clifton, Johnson and Levi to target areas of need.

I too would have liked to see the GM do more.

But there should be enough there to be a playoff team.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Their internal numbers show that Comrie was actually better. They also confirm that UPL has been in the bottom tier of goaltenders in whatever league he’s been in for most of his career.

I understand that some are skeptical and I can’t provide any substantive proof.

It also doesn’t mean he can’t beat the odds and prove me wrong.

This isn’t an exact science which is one of the main reasons sports can be fun. It’s also one of the worst parts of the internet. When I was wrong before, the only proof was a bunch of drunk and/or high friends and strangers in bars. Now my mistakes are saved for eternity.

And yes, it’s exactly why I’m disappointed they haven’t been more aggressive. My concern with Adams is two fold. He seems to be too enamored with his prospects and he did so well waiting out Vegas he thinks he will have the same success acquiring a goaltender.

The eye test also says Comrie is better.  And it's a small item, but telling IMHO, when they did their 1st STH Q&A session this season the guy sitting next to Power was Comrie NOT UPL.  You do that to get your customers to buy in on the guy you've bought into; let them get to know the guy in a small part the way you and his teammates know him.  (Btw, the very 1st one of those that was Zoom only had (nearly) everybody's favorite whipping boy at the start of last season Mittelstadt on the screen with Skinner.)

But, as good as Adams and his team are at identifying good prospects, he & they have been equally bad at identifying and landing solid GTing.  At this point, would like to know who Lombardi had making those calls when he was in SJ and then LA, and pay that guy a truck ton of cash to make those calls in Buffalo.  Am confident in Adams being able to identify good skaters.  But the next good ready NOW goalie that he brings in will be the 1st.  Am hopeful and reasonably confident that Comrie can be a good backup if he stays healthy.  But that isn't a lock.  Have much less faith in UPL.  And would be much more willing to run with Comrie as the backup if there was an Ullmark or even a Swayman ahead of him; but there is just too much risk that Levi won't be Price right out of the gate and the failure to get 2 more points last year has the customer base reluctant at best to give another pass to another playoffless year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I like Adams. I think he’s done terrific things and I’m more optimistic about the Sabres then I’ve been in a long time. 

I’m also very disappointed in his failure to address the goaltending situation and I believe a veteran center to play between KO and Z is called for.

I also believe he still may do  something and that there are people he relies on who believe the same thing. I am 100% sure that their private assessment of UPL is considerably lower then their public posture and that gives me hope that something will happen before camp,

I also believe he failed to weaponize cap space when he had the opportunity and he misread the Ullmark situation.

Perfect summary! 👍🏻

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The eye test also says Comrie is better.  And it's a small item, but telling IMHO, when they did their 1st STH Q&A session this season the guy sitting next to Power was Comrie NOT UPL.  You do that to get your customers to buy in on the guy you've bought into; let them get to know the guy in a small part the way you and his teammates know him.  (Btw, the very 1st one of those that was Zoom only had (nearly) everybody's favorite whipping boy at the start of last season Mittelstadt on the screen with Skinner.)

But, as good as Adams and his team are at identifying good prospects, he & they have been equally bad at identifying and landing solid GTing.  At this point, would like to know who Lombardi had making those calls when he was in SJ and then LA, and pay that guy a truck ton of cash to make those calls in Buffalo.  Am confident in Adams being able to identify good skaters.  But the next good ready NOW goalie that he brings in will be the 1st.  Am hopeful and reasonably confident that Comrie can be a good backup if he stays healthy.  But that isn't a lock.  Have much less faith in UPL.  And would be much more willing to run with Comrie as the backup if there was an Ullmark or even a Swayman ahead of him; but there is just too much risk that Levi won't be Price right out of the gate and the failure to get 2 more points last year has the customer base reluctant at best to give another pass to another playoffless year.

I have little faith in Comrie or UPL.

I had little in most of Ryan Miller’s backups, or Dom’s either.

I’ve been saying this for a year now: Devon Levi will be a star. 

If it happens this year, all of this becomes moot.

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I believe you have alluded that players have told Kevyn that they feel they are ready and want a move that shows he believes it. If he stands pat do you think that will lead to some frustration in the room?

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

And yes, it’s exactly why I’m disappointed they haven’t been more aggressive. My concern with Adams is two fold. He seems to be too enamored with his prospects and he did so well waiting out Vegas he thinks he will have the same success acquiring a goaltender.

Curious about what the standing ask and offer is for Gibson, or if they’ve even made an offer on Hellebuyck.

I think we just saw in San Jose shows what happens when a big contract is forcing his way out and the team feels the prudent thing to do is comply.

Both those guys have definitely reached the “want out” stage and both come with tickets that have to depress their market and/or price.

He hit and miss on the Hall thing. But there was no long term damage to that at all, which can’t be said for other teams looking to add a vet like that.

Any GM has a chance to make a good roster trading away Reinhart and Eichel at the start of their prime.  I think he did okay on those deals. His Ristolainen deal was a cherry on top. 

I like his drafting strategy of hockey iq and attitude being the top priority, physical metrics coming second. Again time will tell.

He turned Buffalo from the butt end of every joke in the league into an attractive destination players around the league see as an emerging threat.  A lot to praise here.  Even if Bylsma got some more points out of the team, nobody was scared of them once they matched up on Eichel.  

I think coaching is the biggest problem, assistants in particular. There has been some turnover, so still time to see how it shakes out. I can’t stand the goalie coach situation and he’s in denial there is a problem there. I hope Levi is good enough to not be phased by it. If Levi doesn’t work we have major issues.  Toronto has been trying to get the goalie position right for over a decade now, it’s not like we’re the only team needing help there. I agree with him letting Ullmark pass because he wouldn’t lock him up to long term, Boston fans have already turned on him.

Playoffs or bust this season tho. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

Their internal numbers show that Comrie was actually better. They also confirm that UPL has been in the bottom tier of goaltenders in whatever league he’s been in for most of his career.

I understand that some are skeptical and I can’t provide any substantive proof.

It also doesn’t mean he can’t beat the odds and prove me wrong.

This isn’t an exact science which is one of the main reasons sports can be fun. It’s also one of the worst parts of the internet. When I was wrong before, the only proof was a bunch of drunk and/or high friends and strangers in bars. Now my mistakes are saved for eternity.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Both of you make interesting points here, but still:  if KA doesn't bring in a goalie before camp, do you think they are going to waive UPL and keep Comrie?  That seems very unlikely IMHO.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Both of you make interesting points here, but still:  if KA doesn't bring in a goalie before camp, do you think they are going to waive UPL and keep Comrie?  That seems very unlikely IMHO.

How about waiving them both and making Tokarski the backup?  I think he is the best of the 3 barely.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.