2023 Free Agent Frenzy (Non-Sabres)

Eleven

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

PS friend mention that Benson's skating really stood out at rookie camp... balance and change of direction being eye opening

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

That’s good to hear. Other than size, it seemed like agility was the biggest concern for Benson making it in the NHL.

Yeah, echoing others, I think his edges and balance are quite good.  It’s just his acceleration and top speed that aren’t great.  Should improve with increased strength/muscle though, I would think.

On 7/2/2023 at 11:32 AM, HumanSlinky39 said:

You state this as fact, but let's look at it subjectively:

Last season, with 70+ games of the 3 headed hydra goalie situation, they still missed the playoffs by just 1 game. They were a very young team still finding their way.

Fast forward to October. All of that young talent is a year older with a full year under their belt playing together. They have improved their blue line with Clifton and brought in another veteran who has recent Stanley Cup experience. They're looking at a full season of Devon Levi who in his 7 game sample size looked much better than either Comrie/UPL, or Anderson most nights. And it wasn't just against powderpuffs, he beat some very good teams.

I'm not saying I don't want KA to add a 1B, I absolutely do; but failing to do so doesn't torpedo our playoff aspirations at all, IMO. Unless Levi struggles badly, I think we get in with him as the rest of the roster continues to build on last season's work.

But, all that said, I'd be way more comfortable with a solid veteran 1B as the above doesn't take into account injuries.

Should be pointed out the advanced stats suggest Anderson was our best goaltender last year. So, people saying Levi is strictly plug and play improvement aren’t exactly accurate. If he improves his performance a bit from what we saw to end the year (I assume he will) he can match the 26 game output that Craig Anderson gave us. If we can get him to 40, that should be 14 more games of at least Anderson like output over last season. There’s a chance Levi is even better, but I’m not sure adding 14 more Anderson games last year would have been enough. 

I’m bullish on Levi, a guy who has never played more than 41 games in a season, once, to play maybe around 41 NHL games this season, and a good level, perhaps surpassing Anderson. That’s a high expectation in and of itself. He could really, really use a helpful vet backup. More so, I think it’s likely the team and it’s record benefits from it. 

Again, maybe that’s UPL. It’s just a little bit more expectation saddled onto a player who hasn’t yet proven what you are betting on happening. Degree of difficulty is manually increased the more best case scenarios you are counting on congruently 

68544178-30FD-4FAE-A044-ABB549729448.thumb.jpeg.c5dbd9a4b1fd50f099f9d57d0205c3e1.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with others that Benson is a better all around prospect then Savoie but that doesn’t diminish Savoie but rather is a glowing endorsement of Benson.

Savoie is an electric offensive player. Elite skating and offensive skills, great competitor, good at the dot.

Benson isn’t as electric but he is just as efficient offensively. Where Benson gets the edge for me is the defensive side of the game. He is a tremendous defensive player and impacts the game at both ends of the ice more so than Savoie.

Bottom line is I’m thrilled they have both of them.

• Like (+1) 7

14 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I agree with others that Benson is a better all around prospect then Savoie but that doesn’t diminish Savoie but rather is a glowing endorsement of Benson.

Savoie is an electric offensive player. Elite skating and offensive skills, great competitor, good at the dot.

Benson isn’t as electric but he is just as efficient offensively. Where Benson gets the edge for me is the defensive side of the game. He is a tremendous defensive player and impacts the game at both ends of the ice more so than Savoie.

Bottom line is I’m thrilled they have both of them.

Basically what I'm seeing 

Savoie - ennis

Benson -Daniel Briere

Fans have turned 

21 hours ago, Taro T said:

Technically true but doesn't seem to be the way it works in actual practice.

It definitely does.

A few years back, the Jets had to put Mathieu Perreault on waivers before putting Little on LTIR.

They were afraid someone would claim him.

23 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I forgot about that. They will probably have to move Nylander for picks and then move a pick to have someone take Murray. It will be messy. No way they will be a better team then they were.

You gotta love it!

24 minutes ago, Ducky said:

It definitely does.

A few years back, the Jets had to put Mathieu Perreault on waivers before putting Little on LTIR.

They were afraid someone would claim him.

You gotta love it!

And MANY years back, the Sabres were told they wouldn't be allowed to use Tim Connolly in the playoffs if he didn't play any games at the end of the regular season.  

Am fairly certain, though not positive, that the league has been letting teams get away with not meeting that formality on the 1st day of the league season the last couple of years.  If you take a look at Cap Friendly's cap tracker, it shows Vegas's full projected cap hit on the 1st day of the past league year October 11, 2022 as $96,557,127 which is significantly above the salary cap.

Tampa did the same thing the year before with Kucherov.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Should be pointed out the advanced stats suggest Anderson was our best goaltender last year. So, people saying Levi is strictly plug and play improvement aren’t exactly accurate. If he improves his performance a bit from what we saw to end the year (I assume he will) he can match the 26 game output that Craig Anderson gave us. If we can get him to 40, that should be 14 more games of at least Anderson like output over last season. There’s a chance Levi is even better, but I’m not sure adding 14 more Anderson games last year would have been enough. 

I’m bullish on Levi, a guy who has never played more than 41 games in a season, once, to play maybe around 41 NHL games this season, and a good level, perhaps surpassing Anderson. That’s a high expectation in and of itself. He could really, really use a helpful vet backup. More so, I think it’s likely the team and it’s record benefits from it. 

Again, maybe that’s UPL. It’s just a little bit more expectation saddled onto a player who hasn’t yet proven what you are betting on happening. Degree of difficulty is manually increased the more best case scenarios you are counting on congruently 

68544178-30FD-4FAE-A044-ABB549729448.thumb.jpeg.c5dbd9a4b1fd50f099f9d57d0205c3e1.jpeg

I'd say we're on the same page. I absolutely do want to see a solid vet brought in to pair with Levi both for the team's sake and for Levi's development. I'm just saying the people that are saying we're screwed are going a bit "doomsday", IMO. I feel very confident that a 41 games of Levi and 41 games of UPL/Comrie get us further than we were last season just because 41 games of Levi is an improvement over last season (Andy only started 24). Will there be hiccups with a rookie goalie? Absolutely, but I saw enough good in Levi in that small sample size to feel confident he can give us a good 40 games overall. Add in overall improvement again from Dahlin and Power, plus the upgrade Clifton provides and that should put whoever is in net in better spots. Or at least dealing with a good bit fewer breakaways and odd man rushes those poor guys dealt with last season.

TL;DR - yes, please bring in a vet to help us and Devon, but if we don't it's not necessarily the end of the world.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/3/2023 at 9:08 PM, Brawndo said:

41 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Tarasenko apparently switched agents, guess he is not happy about he offers he is getting.

Sabres should see what is there , but I have a feeling Kane will be a December addition to the team.

🤷‍♂️

45 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Tarasenko apparently switched agents, guess he is not happy about he offers he is getting.

Sabres should see what is there , but I have a feeling Kane will be a December addition to the team.

I don't think Kane is even a blip on Adams radar.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.