Zemgus is Back on a one year 2.5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

5 hours ago, Night Train said:

Wondered if they would move on from him and KO. Another year for both answers that question.

Also means they see the youth as needing another year of development and eating sandwiches to grow. 

Also shows that when you do everything that's asked of you and do it the right way the organization shows that it values it and let's the other players know they will be taken care of if they follow suit.

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I really like Jost but don’t think there is room for him

im guesssing VO gets traded and Jost isn’t signed.  

Savoie takes the place of VH

Rousek Replaces Jost

Kulich replaces VO 

Savioe gets 9 games in NHL and then a conditioning visit to Rochester then back to juniors 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, freester said:

Savioe gets 9 games in NHL and then a conditioning visit to Rochester then back to juniors 

Was pretty sure he would until his 2 game stint in the AHL.  He'll need to play much better in camp to earn those 9 games.  He could very well do so, but the way he played in Ra-cha-cha indicated he has a long way to go to get there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

31 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I really like Jost but don’t think there is room for him

im guesssing VO gets traded and Jost isn’t signed.  

Savoie takes the place of VH

Rousek Replaces Jost

Kulich replaces VO 

I really hope the Sabres do not pencil in three Rookies for the season along with the 3-4 2nd year players.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I really hope the Sabres do not pencil in three Rookies for the season along with the 3-4 2nd year players.

One is written in permanent ink, 1 in pencil, and 1 to 2 more may be able to get written in.  Would only have money on the 1 in permanent ink.

Enough with the retreads. Bringing back Okposo was bad enough, now we’re stuck with two slow 4th liners for another year. The top teams have effective 4th lines that can intimidate with speed and physicality. Another wasted opportunity to upgrade.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Where did I say I hate the entire forward group?  All I said was that I was opposed to bringing back KO and Girgs…especially at a combined salary of 5mil.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. 👎🏻

Maybe I phrased it poorly, but to me the implication of your post is that the forward group wasn't good enough with Okposo and Girgensons and that we aren't going to be good enough icing a team that includes them as regulars.

You said $5 million that could have been used on a good 3rd line centre, but they still have $5 million available to use on a good 3rd line centre. their signings don't preclude that from happening.

A 3rd line centre makes Jost redundant, not Z and KO.

They signed those two to provide leadership, defence and boardwork from the bottom of the roster. To me they are as good in that role as any and better than most.

53 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

(sigh) I have nothing against the guy but this is downright depressing. 

And how were you planning on upgrading the 4th line left wing position?

Edited by dudacek

27 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Too many options to list. Miles Wood was stop number one. (and yes, he might even go up the line up unlike Zemgus). 

Yes, it would be nice to have a 3rd liner from a 112-point team on our 4th line.

These guys were 4th-line regulars on some of the best teams in the east this year: AJ Greer, Pat Maroon, Zac Dalpe, Derek Stepan, Nathan Bastian.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yes, it would be nice to have a 3rd liner from a 112-point team on our 4th line.

These guys were 4th-line regulars on some of the best teams in the east this year: AJ Greer, Pat Maroon, Zac Dalpe, Derek Stepan, Nathan Bastian.

Line combinations are a later discussion. I'm simply looking at upgrading the team from Zemgus rather than icing the same team and simply saying "well we have Levi now so that's all we needed". If Wood is on your 3rd line then Greenway or Jost or whoever else we sign is on your 4th line. I want to be better, markedly better, not the same. 

(just as an aside, I advocated signing Pat Maroon when he first left St. Louis and people here laughed at me and called me a neanderthal and well, he got 2 more rings - and ran over our goalies a few times for extra measure)

8 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Enough with the retreads. Bringing back Okposo was bad enough, now we’re stuck with two slow 4th liners for another year. The top teams have effective 4th lines that can intimidate with speed and physicality. Another wasted opportunity to upgrade.

Do they though? Vegas might have after their cap skullduggery but most teams have a 4th line similar to Buffalo. 

Fredrick - Nosek - Hathaway was Bostons, not exactly terrifying. 

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Anecdotally I think we sometimes see 4th lines get hot and “go on runs” in the playoffs similar to goalies/how people speak of goalies 

I would also say that some 4th lines matchup better against other teams lines. A fast 4th line might give trouble to a slower 3rd line a team has or a heavy 4th line with reach might give trouble to smaller line with speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, freester said:

I don’t think so. While Seattle found a way to keep Shane Wright around the NHL for a bit and get him some AHL time, the general thought is that it was a tough year for him. I’m not sure that the best path for Savoie is to spend a year going from Buffalo to Rochester to the World Juniors and then to the WHL. Better to just be either an NHL player or a WHL player in my view (with the world juniors in there if he is in the WHL). 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, pastajoe said:

I have no problem with Kyle and Z as hockey players or people. My problem with them is that this team needs more sandpaper from their 4th line cuz they sure ain’t getting it anywhere else in the lineup.  I thought Greenway would help in that department. So far that seems like a bad miscalculation on my part.  His play historically should have given me a clue.  

Maybe a team with 9 highly skilled forwards and 3 grinders who aren’t overly physical but will lock down opponents and chip in offensively can work but this fanbase may never see it that way.  Way too many May Ray Barnaby disciples (me being one as well) that crave on ice carnage.  

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Z and KO signings should end all debate on where Greenway slots next season.  Jordan will be on the 3rd line with Mitts.  The only real question is who will be the 3rd member of that line; Krebs, VO, Savoie, Kulich, Rousek or someone from outside the organization. 

Not that I believe this after the KO and Gus signings, but I thought JJP would slide down and the second line would be upgraded.  

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Z and KO signings should end all debate on where Greenway slots next season.  Jordan will be on the 3rd line with Mitts.  The only real question is who will be the 3rd member of that line; Krebs, VO, Savoie, Kulich, Rousek or someone from outside the organization. 

I never thought Greenway on the 4th line was a thing.

You don’t pay players $3.5 million or give up 2nd round picks for them with the intention of playing them in the #11 slot.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.